Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:41:11 PM EDT
It's been a number of years since I wore a pack going out on a couple week trek.  My knees and back are not what they used to be. So I'm looking to get my feet wet again and wow have things changed.  A day or overnight is all I'm looking to gear up for right now.  I started going through boxes of what remains of my gear over a bunch of moves.  I found a pristine around 20 years old Coleman Peak 1 nesting cook set.  But I have picked up the Stanley set and a GSI cup.  My old stove leaks fuel when I attempt to pressure up the tank so that needs some attention or may be a loss.  What I'd like is some suggestions for an alcohol stove and stand combo if needed that would be compatible with what I have.  I have been looking strongly at the Trangia but I'm open to about anything that I don't have to build.  Purchasing a couple alcohol stoves would be just fine for as long as they are durable performers.  Tinkering around to build one can come at a later date.  I'd build up a base line knowledge experience first before making anything myself.
If things go well I'll also pick up a MSR Pocket Rocket and a bunch of canisters for any vehicle based camping.

Edit: Changed thread title also continued with updates using various alcohol stove boil water tests.  Bought a Trangia, and Evernew Titanium alcohol burners with stands.  Multiple testing updates added in the thread.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a triangia that I haven't got to try out yet. Ill try to remember to do a review as soon as I use it. Brother has one though and he likes it.

here is the trailspace review.

here is a link to the stove on the amazon
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Svea 123R available from Amazon for +/-$100. I am still using the same one I bought in 1974-5. It sees regular use 5-6 times a year. Get the pump for it as well. Small, light, works great, and sounds like a small turbine engine at full blast.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would start with the Trangia.  It's relatively cheap and would allow you some experimentation with using alcohol.  There area butt-load of stoves on Ebay if you want to try a few different designs.  Some people don't care for the time it takes to boil, the necessary precautions to limited wind effects and trying to measure the amount of fuel needed for the number of meals planned.  

I've actually warmed up to an alcohol stove strictly for distance trail backpacking.  I'm using the Evernew titanium stove but my wife is using a couple off-the-shelf, cottage designs that are cheaper but perform just as well.  I actually like the ones that allow you to set your pot directly on the stove (unlike the Trangia which requires the cross-plates or stove stand).  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at the Svea 123R available from Amazon for +/-$100. I am still using the same one I bought in 1974-5. It sees regular use 5-6 times a year. Get the pump for it as well. Small, light, works great, and sounds like a small turbine engine at full blast.
View Quote

Will that run on alcohol?  I thought that was a white gas stove.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I just put holes in the side of an old sterno can. Dump alcohol in it and light her up. Not sure about efficiency. I've seen where people coil up cardboard to stuff in the can. Might try it one day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got an older version of one of these: http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Coleman-Dual-Fuel-533-One-burner-Sportster-Stove/8844253/product.html

My uncle gave it to me and I've loved it. Uses regular unleaded gasoline and the tank lasts a while. Even though it's just one burner it's been great for heating up cans or boiling water for the whole family. It's not overly heavy, but for just a day/overnight trip I don't know if I'd take it if it were just me or one other person. Mainly because there wouldn't be a lot of food options over that short time period and I'd probably either build a fire or just go with cold food if it were raining. For a multi day trip on foot though I'd probably take it. A couple of my kids are small enough yet that most of our camping is driven to, so that's where I use this the most.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few options on the way.  I picked up one of the knock-off Pocket Rockets, a Evernew Titanium with cross stand, and a Trangia (not a knock-off) and a Mojo stand.  This should give me an assortment of decent options for various trail cooking methods.  I think the "Gram Weenie" thing might be starting to take hold.  I kind of limited my options by trying to stick with my existing gear and may add one more lightweight pot to my gear options adjusting my gear going forward with more time testing and experience.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got an older version of one of these: http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Coleman-Dual-Fuel-533-One-burner-Sportster-Stove/8844253/product.html
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/8844253/Coleman-1-Burner-Sportster-Stove-7940d652-b316-405e-a805-0cb10bc1cc68_600.jpg

My uncle gave it to me and I've loved it. Uses regular unleaded gasoline and the tank lasts a while. Even though it's just one burner it's been great for heating up cans or boiling water for the whole family. It's not overly heavy, but for just a day/overnight trip I don't know if I'd take it if it were just me or one other person. Mainly because there wouldn't be a lot of food options over that short time period and I'd probably either build a fire or just go with cold food if it were raining. For a multi day trip on foot though I'd probably take it. A couple of my kids are small enough yet that most of our camping is driven to, so that's where I use this the most.
View Quote

Those 533 stoves sure are neat, still made in the USA, and still a pretty good deal for $70 or so at any Walmart.  You're asking for trouble running them constantly on pump gas though, all Coleman "dual fuel" appliances are made to primarily run on white gas.  Pump gas will work but it's cruddier and will gum up the generator FAR faster.  The filter funnels will help to pull out the chunks but even the no-name jugs of white gas are cleaner.  I haven't seen Coleman branded fuel sold except in the smaller red plastic bottles recently, it's the most expensive option for fuel but it really does seem to be very clean burning stuff.  The bottles are more convenient than the old gallon jugs.  If you gum one up, changing the generator is pretty easy but you can sometimes save the cost of the part by just removing the generator, holding it with some pliers, and blasting the heck out of it with a propane torch for a while.  

The 533 is an evolution of the old 502 stove though.  The old one does give up some BTUs to the new guy and is not intended for dual fuel use,but they're $20 or so on ebay and still work just fine with a little TLC.  They made a neat catalytic heater unit that fits the 502 that work great in deer blinds and other vented enclosures like that.  oldcolemanparts.com has most of what one might need for a rebuild.

Either the 502 or the 533 is still pretty heavy and large to carry any great distance IMO.  My rebuilt 502 is my "go to" for canoe camping.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Evernew Appalachian and a few others that I can't remember right now.  The Evernew is top tier!  I love it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
xxxxx
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know. All I ever use is Coleman Fuel.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Those 533 stoves sure are neat, still made in the USA, and still a pretty good deal for $70 or so at any Walmart.  You're asking for trouble running them constantly on pump gas though, all Coleman "dual fuel" appliances are made to primarily run on white gas.  Pump gas will work but it's cruddier and will gum up the generator FAR faster.  The filter funnels will help to pull out the chunks but even the no-name jugs of white gas are cleaner.  I haven't seen Coleman branded fuel sold except in the smaller red plastic bottles recently, it's the most expensive option for fuel but it really does seem to be very clean burning stuff.  The bottles are more convenient than the old gallon jugs.  If you gum one up, changing the generator is pretty easy but you can sometimes save the cost of the part by just removing the generator, holding it with some pliers, and blasting the heck out of it with a propane torch for a while.  

The 533 is an evolution of the old 502 stove though.  The old one does give up some BTUs to the new guy and is not intended for dual fuel use,but they're $20 or so on ebay and still work just fine with a little TLC.  They made a neat catalytic heater unit that fits the 502 that work great in deer blinds and other vented enclosures like that.  oldcolemanparts.com has most of what one might need for a rebuild.

Either the 502 or the 533 is still pretty heavy and large to carry any great distance IMO.  My rebuilt 502 is my "go to" for canoe camping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/8844253/Coleman-1-Burner-Sportster-Stove-7940d652-b316-405e-a805-0cb10bc1cc68_600.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I'd probably just try to clean it out myself when it gets gummed up, which hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll start filtering my gas with a coffee filter instead of just pouring it right in.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a few options on the way.  I picked up one of the knock-off Pocket Rockets, a Evernew Titanium with cross stand, and a Trangia (not a knock-off) and a Mojo stand.  This should give me an assortment of decent options for various trail cooking methods.  I think the "Gram Weenie" thing might be starting to take hold.  I kind of limited my options by trying to stick with my existing gear and may add one more lightweight pot to my gear options adjusting my gear going forward with more time testing and experience.
View Quote

OK, you are "there" in terms of gear.  Due to extreme old age I've had to go to all superlight backpacking stuff.  3 oz canister stoves and titanium cooking vessels are what I usually bring.  EverNew's 1.3L titanium cookpot is well loved  and extremely popular with users and for good reason.  People who don't want such a large vessel, usually opt for the smaller, 900ml version.

-----

I think you mentioned earlier that your whitegas stove was leaking a little fuel.  Better fix that leak before you have a fireball.  I already played that losing game last summer with my old Peak1 stove.  When it caught fire, I frantically launched it out of the bed of my pickup, landing in the middle of a dirt road!  I got the fire out and fixed the leak.  Leaks in a whitegas stove are no joke.

Mine was fixed by ditching the old, bent up generator which I couldn't get to seal right, and putting on a new pristine one.

Further, modern gasoline is notorious for clogging stove generators prematurely.  The "dual fuel" terminology is 50% deceptive advertising claims / 50% wishful thinking.  Coleman fuel and its generic competitors are the best bet for trouble free service.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK, you are "there" in terms of gear.  Due to extreme old age I've had to go to all superlight backpacking stuff.  3 oz canister stoves and titanium cooking vessels are what I usually bring.  EverNew's 1.3L titanium cookpot is well loved  and extremely popular with users and for good reason.  People who don't want such a large vessel, usually opt for the smaller, 900ml version.

-----

I think you mentioned earlier that your whitegas stove was leaking a little fuel.  Better fix that leak before you have a fireball.  I already played that losing game last summer with my old Peak1 stove.  When it caught fire, I frantically launched it out of the bed of my pickup, landing in the middle of a dirt road!  I got the fire out and fixed the leak.  Leaks in a whitegas stove are no joke.

Mine was fixed by ditching the old, bent up generator which I couldn't get to seal right, and putting on a new pristine one.

Further, modern gasoline is notorious for clogging stove generators prematurely.  The "dual fuel" terminology is 50% deceptive advertising claims / 50% wishful thinking.  Coleman fuel and its generic competitors are the best bet for trouble free service.
View Quote

My Coleman Apex 2 stove is leaking fuel out of the bottle side fuel on/off screw valve.  The leak only occurs when the tank is pressurized. I probably need to replace the O ring inside the valve.  At least that's my next step before even trying to light it.

So far I have the Trangia and Mojo stand.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 2 one I got new the other I picked up at a pawn shop new in box for $15 iirc  love them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#16]
oops I thought we were talking about taking a drinks in a pack
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Super cat stove.  Watch the Youtube video by Skurka (I think it was Skurka).  5 minutes with a hole punch and a $1 can of Fancy Feast.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Super cat stove.  Watch the Youtube video by Skurka (I think it was Skurka).  5 minutes with a hole punch and a $1 can of Fancy Feast.
View Quote

The Super cat will be the first can I make and I've also seen it's a large favorite over on the ultralight pack forums.  Absolute pure simplicity in function, form, and cost.
I kind of have a feeling that as long as you have a good supply of Alcohol stove fuel you can't really have too many stoves and go broke accumulating a decent variety of them.  Most of which you can just build yourself.

Testing starts this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I helped my son build some penny stoves and was surprised how fast they would boil 2c of water
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Super cat will be the first can I make and I've also seen it's a large favorite over on the ultralight pack forums.  Absolute pure simplicity in function, form, and cost.

I kind of have a feeling that as long as you have a good supply of Alcohol stove fuel you can't really have too many stoves and go broke accumulating a decent variety of them.  Most of which you can just build yourself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If nothing else, practicing with a SuperCat so you can walk into any gas station and come out with stuff to build one for a few bucks.

Plus, it's a cool name.

SuperCat.

SUPERcat.

SuperCat.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
A little update from the kitchen.  I couldn't wait any longer - water temp 74F & air temp 71F.  With 1 oz Denatured Alcohol using the Trangia in the Mojo stand, two cups of water in my Peak1 pot / pan lid gave me a rolling boil at 4:30.  I initially watched the flame for a while and didn't get the full run timed but my run out was at 5:53 following the pot going on the stand.  
I pulled the curious cover off a couple times too.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Second test and a little head scratching.  Stanley tall cook pot 2c water at 67F, air temp 71F, Trangia burner, Evernew Ti cross stand in normal orientation, 1.25oz Denatured Alcohol.  Lid used on pot until rolling boil - at 10:30 and burn out at a surprising 25:08.  It boiled off 3oz of water running it uncovered until run out.

Assumption: I needed more fuel with the taller pot and cooler water.
Speculation: the Evernew Ti cross stand in normal orientation kept the burner contained from boiling off the fuel.  How else could the run time go so long?

Notes: Even when done in the house under the stove vent exhaust the flame could be disturbed by the slightest wind.  A foil wind screen will be an absolute must item for field use.

Thoughts on these results?

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out the Evernew windscreen:  http://www.evernewamerica.com/overview-1-1/

I really think the Appalachian set is the most well thought out setup available.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check out the Evernew windscreen:  http://www.evernewamerica.com/overview-1-1/

I really think the Appalachian set is the most well thought out setup available.
View Quote

Have you tried the wood burning functionality of it? It looks like it would be too small.

I ran three more tests today.

I tried one burn elevated outdoors in gusty conditions up to 13mph winds.   I made an dual layer aluminum foil windscreen and ran 2c water with 1oz Denatured Alcohol in the Trangia with the Evernew Ti cross stand using the Stanley pot.  No rolling boil and ran burn out at around 8:00.  Possibly too windy and I may need to refine the windscreen for windy conditions.

The second and third test were done in the garage still having same wind with doors open and window open.  Clearly the wind was reduced but there was much more draft than doing it in the house.
Same setup as previous test including thin foil windscreen with a rolling boil at 8:30 and run out at 11:37.

The last test today I made a wire mesh stand that elevated the pot to 1 inch off the burners (the Ti stand is 1/2 inch off the burners).  Rolling boil at 7:23 and run out 9:30.

It seems as though using the Mojo and the Wire mesh stands at 1 inch burns hotter having shorter time to rolling boils but it also cooks off the fuel faster too.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:10:15 AM EDT
[#25]
My miller lite stove works pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

YES -- SuperCat stove as advocated by Skurka.

I've been playing with one for the past couple weeks.  Dirt cheap, super light, very easy to make and dead nuts reliable.  I just made rice in an aluminum mess tin with that stove, for lunch.  This stove is a real lightweight winner.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally received my Evernew burner today.  Also picked up some tooling foil from Hobby Lobby for making better windscreens.  
I asked around at work and found some cat people to source free cans for a Super Cat Stove too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Inside at the kitchen stove I ran a first run with the Titanium Evernew burner and it's cross stand with 1oz Denatured Alcohol and 2c in the Stanley pot.
Rolling boil at 6:43 and run out at 11:52.  Starting the stove took a little longer than expected and believe this rolling boil time will improve a little with more use.
After a couple more Stanley pot tests I'll use the Peak 1 pot and may get a Snow Peak kettle No. 1.  The times should be shorter to boil than done with the Stanley pot tests.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Inside at the kitchen stove I ran a first run with the Titanium Evernew burner and it's cross stand with 1oz Denatured Alcohol and 2c in the Stanley pot.
Rolling boil at 6:43 and run out at 11:52.  Starting the stove took a little longer than expected and believe this rolling boil time will improve a little with more use.
After a couple more Stanley pot tests I'll use the Peak 1 pot and may get a Snow Peak kettle No. 1.  The times should be shorter to boil than done with the Stanley pot tests.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/8FB5B75D-BC2C-430D-AF0C-334C56157DCB_zpshvxpn16e.jpg
View Quote

Try a wider bottom pot. It looks like a lot of heat is being wasted going up the sides.

Part of what I do is design heat sinks. Below is a simulation of finned heat sink with a single heat source in the middle. I think you will get the idea. Anyway you will have to experiment with your setup to see what works best.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Tonight ran the Evernew burner and it's Ti cross stand with the Peak 1 pot, which is 5.25" wide.  Also using the usual 1.0 oz Denatured Alcohol and 2c water.
Rolling Boil 6:08 and Run Out at 10:55.  I was expecting a quicker time with the larger surface area of the pot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's another interesting one.  The Evernew stove this time with no stand: 1oz Denatured Alcohol with 2c in the Stanley pot.
Rolling Boil at 12:14 and Run Out at 27:58 = 15:44 of continuous Rolling Boil.  Lots of heating time on only 1oz of fuel.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Next test wide bottom pot - no stand?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Next test wide bottom pot - no stand?
View Quote

Then do all the tests over with Heet, Everclear, Isopropyl, & Denatured Alcohol.

Cool stuff OP

I have been using an emberlit stove with a beer can or a penny stove.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes sir, and I had to run it twice.  First time I thought I missed the Rolling Boil at 15:08 and a Run Out at 29:25.  As all previous test the 1oz Denatured Alcohol was measured prior to going into the stove and it was just above the 1oz inside mark on the Evernew.
On the second run I filled to the 1oz mark inside the stove and I peeked at the boil status multiple times.  Rolling Boil at 15:54 and Run Out at 24:10.
This method worked ideal for cooking a pot of Ramen.  Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until noodles are soft.  The water never reached a second boil following dropping in the Ramen.

This method is almost a simmering flame when sitting on top of the stove.

Cooking Ramen this way worked out real well.  I should have broken up the noodles prior to putting in the pot when eating with a spoon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I will run tests using the Yellow cans of Heet.  I probably pass on testing out Everclear for now.  Isopropyl alcohol is generally considered a poor performer compared to Denatured Alcohol and Heet from what I've read.  I'll try a couple burns with 90% and 70% but don't expect very positive results.

The Titanium Evernew stove and stand are starting to take on heat zone coloration changes at this point.

I also found that a Nalgene 8 oz bottle, that I use for fuel, is a perfect fit for an old HSGI smoke grenade pouch.  At times this pouch had been used for a Baofeng Radio.  The pack is an Eagle 3 day.

I also picked up a Condor H2O pouch for the Stanley Cook pot and nested GSI Glacier cup with the stoves in a ziplock bag above.  Both stoves also fit inside the Stanley pot.  The outer pocket keeps the collapsible stands, windscreen, and various ignition methods.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#36]
So....

It appears you could get the water boiling with the stand and then remove it for simmering a meal until done.  ?

---------------------------------------------------

I've been using Klean Strip 'Green'. It is supposed to have a little higher heat content from higher Ethanol content. (I get it at Home Depot)

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#37]
This is just one of many you might look at!
Stainless Steel Alcohol Stove w/ Flame Regulator
They sell for $35.00 They do have a larger capassity to
hold fuel then some other stoves. Check out the reviews.
There are also many videos on You-Tube that show you
how to make an alcohol stove. If your interested!

Good luck! Let the hive know what you decide on.
Why you chose it? How it works?

PITA45
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So....

It appears you could get the water boiling with the stand and then remove it for simmering a meal until done.  ?

---------------------------------------------------

I've been using Klean Strip 'Green'. It is supposed to have a little higher heat content from higher Ethanol content. (I get it at Home Depot)
View Quote

Boiling liquid fuel a-flame, boiling water, and scorching hot metal in small lightweight sizes what could possibly go wrong?
I like your thinking, I was thinking exactly the same.

One trick, the Evernew Titanium stove and cross stand do bind a little under the heat. So using something like a multi-tool with pliers on the stand and something else to stabilize the burning stove could make it happen.  Just plan out a safe place to set the boiling pot of water while spending time juggling a boiling cup of burning fuel.

I have been using the Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol.  I read over the MSDS sheets and there is a notable difference between what I have been using and Klean Strip 'Green'.  I will pick Klean Strip 'Green' later today for more testing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#39]
OP,

Kind of in your same situation....older...but having to shed weight I could once carry.  Got back into hiking a couple of years ago and have worked out some things that might help.

I carry two stoves.  One, a MSR Pocket Rocket/fuel canister and a pop can stove/HEET. Bic lighter and smudge fire of sticks would be backup. HEET is  stored in 4 oz reclaimed "Fiver Hour" energy drink bottles or the original Heet  container. Pop can stove's pot stand is a perforated Frito bean dip can.

Some things I noticed in your trials that I'd recommend you to shed....the Stanley pot.  Too heavy and it's narrow base does not transfer heat for a quick boil.  Stay with pots that are wider and squat.  Dump the Nalgene bottle for water.  To heavy.  I just use one liter Smart Water bottles.  Lighter, collapsible and tough as nails.

My main cook pot is a Snow Peak titanium bowl. Bowl is handled with a REI aluminum pot grabber. (Pot grabber also does great for cooking canned goods, in the can)   Speaking of that, whatever boil pot you finally arrive at, you need to use the stove, not for cooking, just to get water to a boil.  Once at boiling, transfer boiling water pot to an insulated "cozy" of some sort.  My favorite is Reflectix material.  Plus a Reflectix lid.  Cozy the cook pot, add dehydrated material (ramins, Knorr side, whatever) and cover.  Let it stew in the cozy until rehydrated. Saves fuel and you don't end up scraping burnt food off bottom of the cook pot.

Also, I dumped all my old pump water filters.  Use a tiny, light Sawyer Sqeeze exclusively now.  Great, light, small and cheap.  Even filters better than my old Katadyn pumps.  Comes with a water squeeze bag, but a Smart Water bottle can also thread up to the Sawyer. The Sawyer is also one third the price I paid for my last hiker pump. I think they go for like $20ish at Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#40]
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/AB0FDC03-F642-4013-B506-01BAE4A06535_zpsdpjhrjk2.jpg

How much that little titanium stove/stand cost in this pic you posted?  Looks like a good little rig.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#41]
The Evernew stove was $45 on Amazon shipped and the cross stand was $13 on eBay.

I hear you on the shedding weight in the hiking pack my old habits are tough to shed.  Lots of what I'm doing will ultimately end up going into various bags for hiking, BOB, GHB left in vehicles etc. some gear may get duplicated and others just abandoned. Some bags will of course have concern for weight and others just need a reliable heating method. I've already picked up a roll of Reflectix and foil tape for making pot cozies.

My wife and I are passionate cooks so we are also digging in on the planning, preparing, and making our own dehydrated trail meals.  Looking into that I plan to breakdown some available backpacking meals and figure out ingredients to serving size ratios.  We already have a food dehydrator and vaccum sealer so at least those are not an added expense.
A while back I grabbed a couple soup mixes and chilli mix that might also work for a trail meal.  Some smaller shelf stable meat options too for variety.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Cool.  I have a dehydrator too, but never tried making some home-rolled Mountain House food.    If I had time, that sounds interesting.  Dehydrate something like  homemade spaghetti for the trail. If you have some success with that, post it.

One method of rehydrating that I've not tried is similar to MRE's   It uses pouches of Reflectix and quart sized ziplock bags as internal liners.  I understand that works well and can save on dinnerware weight. Also, no dirty cook pot. Saves clean up water.  Just trash the ziplock after eating.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Regarding the pot geometry, whether the pot is tall/narrow or short/wide, it doesn't have a measurable effect on heating times with alcohol stoves, because of the way the flame will attach to the side of tall/narrow pots.

I tested the narrow Snowpeak 450 Ti mug, Snowpeak 900 Ti pot, against a wider MSR Alpine steel pot, and had 6.5 +/-0.1 minute boil times for all three configurations for 12 floz of water (that's all the 450 mug could hold).

For alcohol stoves, they all have roughly the same efficiency as a function of fuel weight, with the difference being in boil times and stove weight.

The efficiencies of the alcohol stoves below are somewhat in error because I was basing it off of total burn time and using the time-to-boil/total-burn ratio to estimate the amount of fuel used to get the water boiling - but that's just not how these alcohol stoves work.  In later tests, I snuffed the alcohol stoves right after reaching boil and then weighed them to determine fuel usage, which was usually around 0.55 ozwt of fuel / 16 floz of water. The "CAT16" is a 16 hole cat food can.

As you can see, I did a lot of testing (the pic isn't zoomable, it's just for demonstration only).

Stoves tested:
CAT8
CAT12
CAT16
CAT32
Trangia
Solite
MSR Micro Rocket
MSR Simmerlite

The CAT16 had the fastest time-to-boil of any of the alcohol stoves, it also outshines the other store-bought alcohol stoves in that an 8oz Nalgene HDPE bottle can nest inside the can saving space and protecting the stove against crushing when packed away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#44]
It looks like I missed one combination.  Trangia, titanium cross stand, Peak 1 pot, 1 oz Denatured Alcohol, and 2 cups water.
Rolling Boil at 9:21 and Run Out at 19:55.
The picture with flash was a mistake but it looks a little warm under the pot.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I know it's not an alcohol stove, but someone in this thread might enjoy this -- I bought six of these a year or so ago and all worked great, if each a little differently. They run on standard MSR or generic butane canisters and even a small one lasts a long time.

Amazon link to ultralight butane camping stove

Mine shipped from China somewhere and took a long time to come in, but I have used them a LOT and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I recently bought one of those made in China pocket rocket knock-offs.  Last weekend I spent about 20 minutes with an emery board and a dremel tool to get all four wings of the pot stand to sit flat.  The emery board was to remove all the sharp metal burs still left from the manufacturing process.  They seem a bit flimsy and I can see why MSR does not include the pezo lighter on theirs.  Without the pezo you would have a solid grip for threading the burner onto the canisters.

With the quality in mind I will likely still pick up a MSR Pocket Rocket and give the knock-off to someone locally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#47]
It's critical with an alcohol stove to match the stove to the pot to ensure maximum energy transfer with minimal heat loss.

The Trangia is bombproof but not lightweight. I have numerous that all fit the bill. You have to decide if you want an integrated pot stand or your own. Jet style? There are many designs. Here are a few of mine.

Brasslite
Vargo Triad Titanium
Antigravity Gear Khatadin
Gram Weenie Pro (unfortunately George stopped making these)
Venom
Packafeather XL
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally got around to making a Cat Can Stove.  On the second test burn without a pot and windscreen outside the wind blew a bit too strong for a few seconds.  Apparently they are somewhat fragile.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Never really had much luck with the cat stove.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#50]
I ordered a Snowpeak Titanium 700 and 1400, the gram weenie thing is setting in a little more.  Following L_JE's lead I started a spreadsheet to document what I do.

Any opinions on the "Next Generation" and "Solo II" White Box Stoves?  Any thoughts on the Rucas stove?
I have an old GI aluminum Ranger/Mountain cook set buried in my gear boxes.  A Rucas stove might be a good match for this.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top