Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 12:40:21 AM EDT
After seeing this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/443379_Let_s_see_what_boots_you_guys_are_running_.html it inspired me to do a similar thread specifically for trail shoes. I had a pair of Adidas AX 1's that I LOVED.

They lasted 5 years of daily hard use. This make and model are now very hard to come by and the last pair of Adidas (Thrasher) I bought haven't held up nearly as well. After looking at the Adidas website, I may have to give up on them since the current styles aren't quite my style. I'm looking for better options.

So, what kind of trail shoes do you run?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Low-cut Merrell Moab Ventilator's
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Salomon xa pro 3d ultra 2 been great for hiking
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Low-cut Merrell Moab Ventilator's
View Quote

Same; heavy but great shoes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a shoe whore.

My trail runners are a pair of Salomon Speedcross III's, in the most obnoxious orange I could find.

My hiking shoes used to be a pair of Inov-8 Terroc 330's, but I just replaced them with a pair of Salewa Wildfire Vent's.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I ended up pulling the trigger on the successor of my old shoes before the replies started rolling in. I bought the AX 2's

I like hearing what everyone else is using though. Especially if these don't hold up well. Adidas, for as many options as their website shows, seems to be exiting (or losing) the shoe market. I called Scheel's yesterday to see if they could order the AX 2 and I learned that they only carry two or three options from Adidas and he gave a hem-hawwy answer about ordering them. The other two places I went barely had any Adidas offerings either.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I ended up pulling the trigger on the successor of my old shoes before the replies started rolling in. I bought the AX 2's
http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/x/ax_2_gtx_both.png

I like hearing what everyone else is using though. Especially if these don't hold up well. Adidas, for as many options as their website shows, seems to be exiting (or losing) the shoe market. I called Scheel's yesterday to see if they could order the AX 2 and I learned that they only carry two or three options from Adidas and he gave a hem-hawwy answer about ordering them. The other two places I went barely had any Adidas offerings either.
View Quote

I have these and I really like them. Thinking of getting another pair.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Columbia Trax boots
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/x/ax_2_gtx_both.png

View Quote

Zappos has all of the Adidas offerings.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Merrell Trail Gloves 3. I'd love to try a pair of salomons but they don't make them in grown man sizes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been sporting new balance for a few years now
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Merrell Trail Gloves 3. I'd love to try a pair of salomons but they don't make them in grown man sizes.
View Quote
Salomon makes up to a size 15, and you can get 16's and 17's if you ask politely.

How huge are your feet?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I loved my New Balance Leadville's but I have worn them out.

I have tried running trails in Vibrams which felt great going up, but hurt between my toes on the way down.
Recently I have not been on trails as much so I just bought a Brooks street shoe for running.
I also have dunham waterproof hikers for long trips. Hoping to get a pair of danners soon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Salomon makes up to a size 15, and you can get 16's and 17's if you ask politely.    

How huge are your feet?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How huge are your feet?

I haven't had any luck finding them in a 15 on promotive or their website.  I'll continue the search!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Altra Lone Peak

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Altra Lone Peak
View Quote

I like those slightly thicker soles for a zero-drop boot.

I’m a big advocate in minimalist trail shoes/boots.  My running time has slowed, but my trail endurance is excellent.  I run in Merrell trail gloves and want to try New Balance.

For hiking and trails (especially with a pack) I prefer a little more ankle support.  Merrell’s Proterra mids have been nice, but I don’t think their design works well with pack weight as the inside liner tore on me.  Merrell replaced them (good company), but I moved on to try Vivobarefoot.  Their Tracker boot is perfect for me.  I’m hoping they hold up but they have been on a few hikes and dunked in a creek a few times.  I don’t care for the GTX-type linings, but tolerate it on these boots.  They're relatively light, very flexible and quite comfortable.  They've added metal hardware (their older Synth Hikers had a reputation of plastic lace hardware breaking) for lacing and construction seems pretty solid.

As much as I like the minimalist sole being thin, you do need to balance the amount of comfort with feel of the ground.  I just like having my foot as close to the ground for stability, but thin soles can be a little painful after several days.  I call it foot fatigue, but the more you hike, walk and run in them, the more tolerant they become.  When you start getting real tired, and striking with your heal or not paying attention to where you step, caution is needed because you will injure your feet more with minimalist shoes/boots than more traditional thick-soled, heavily supported arch boots/shoes.  Of course the benefit, once conditioned, is that lighter footwear with stronger ankles, arches and feet allow you to hike further and faster than plodding along with heavier boots.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I haven't had any luck finding them in a 15 on promotive or their website.  I'll continue the search!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How huge are your feet?

We sold a pair of 15's to a customer, but we called Salomon directly. Might we worth giving them a ring.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I buy them a size larger for better toe protection

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.discoverwalking.com/walking-shoes/teva-sandals-shoes.jpg
View Quote

I've not had good luck with sandals, but I'm also going to get a pair of Chaco's as well, my BIL has a pair and they've lasted him a long time through serious remote hiking. The extra toe coverage is a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Keen Voyageur hiking boot.  Adds a bit of ankle protection and they are great boots on the trail
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've not had good luck with sandals, but I'm also going to get a pair of Chaco's as well, my BIL has a pair and they've lasted him a long time through serious remote hiking. The extra toe coverage is a great idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three years ago we went on an early hike to the Beartooths.  It was 70 degrees out but parts of the trail were covered in snow drifts.  I always pack a few pairs of thick wool socks for those types of issues.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Dead of winter: Sorel Conquests. Not exactly trail shoes, but up here anything that's much less substantial doesn't work in the winter.

Any time temps are above 20F or so: Asolo Fugitive GTX. Another inch of height would be nice to offset the extra leverage placed on the ankles by snowshoes, but they do well enough. I may look for a pair of non-insulated mountaineering boots for next winter, though. Maybe a pair of insulated ones (not double boots) to replace my somewhat loose-fitting Sorels, too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live in these once spring arrives. My 1st pair lasted 11 years.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get about 6 years per pair.  I've owned three pair, getting close to needing a fourth.  I have permanent tan lines on my feet that even a bleak WI winter can't erase.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a big fan of approach shoes, especially when the rocks are wet out here.  They seem to excel at anything you'll find along the trail EXCEPT deep water.  Very sticky soles and lots of adjustment- tight or loose, loose on top and tighter in the toe, etc.  They have become my every-day wear shoes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top