Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 3:52:39 PM EDT
This will be for backpacking and also be part of my B.O.B.

I am leaning towards a inflatable model and would prefer the highest R value I can have without getting insanely expensive. I can compromise on the R value a bit by supplementing with a rubber pad for really cold days. Let's say the budget is sub $200 and preferably sub $150.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
L.L. Beans
Quoted:
This will be for backpacking and also be part of my B.O.B.

I am leaning towards a inflatable model and would prefer the highest R value I can have without getting insanely expensive. I can compromise on the R value a bit by supplementing with a rubber pad for really cold days. Let's say the budget is sub $200 and preferably sub $150.  Thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at the offerings from Klymit, particularly the Static V series. Seriously amazing pads, and on the less expensive end of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I will throw in my customary pitch for the Big Agnes "system." There's no substitute. Might not be as much of an issue if you aren't like me and therefore less prone to rolling off most mats.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at the offerings from Klymit, particularly the Static V series. Seriously amazing pads, and on the less expensive end of the spectrum.
View Quote

Big klymit fan here. I'm big on bang-for-the-buck and don't see any better than Klymit. I have both the static v and insulated version. Almost bought a thermarest neoair but didn't like the noise and thin material.

At $200 you have a ton of options.
Klymit static v insulated $65
Cabela's Instinct XPG Insulated Sleeping Pad $120
Exped downmat 7 $150
Thermarest xtherm $160 (after 20% off at REI now)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
2" thick self inflating Thermorest I have is 15+ years old and is holding up strong.  Has a cover on it that converts the thing into a chair as well.  Can't speak about the newest sleeping pads.  

Some things are worth the weight.  Trying to sleep on some thin cheap POS pad with your hips digging into the ground beneath it sucks ass.  Trying to sleep on some thin cheap POS pad when it's freezing sucks ass and balls.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the therma rest xlite, would prefer the xterm for the added r value but the change to my Christmas wish list came AFTER my wife had bought it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I got an exped downmat and the thing is awesome.  A little warm for summer camping, but a great fall winter spring pad.  I may pick up a non-insulated Exped for warm summer hikes.

My 2¢ get the thickest mat you can allow for weigh/carry wise.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The basic reason for a sleeping mat is to insulate you from the ground to keep you warm.  No matter what you will never be comfortable.  The Z-rest or a cheap foam pad will fit the bill and keep you warm.  

I have camped and backpacked a lot.  Inflatable pads never last long and will get holes eventually.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice here, I was in the market for a new one this season.  I ordered the Klymit Insulated Static V Camo Inflatable Sleeping Pad off Amazon based on some research and reviews.  Sounds like it also works well in a hammock, which is my preferred sleeping method.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The basic reason for a sleeping mat is to insulate you from the ground to keep you warm.  No matter what you will never be comfortable.  The Z-rest or a cheap foam pad will fit the bill and keep you warm.  

I have camped and backpacked a lot.  Inflatable pads never last long and will get holes eventually.
View Quote

Really.
I bought my Thermarest in 1993 and it still inflates and stays inflated each and every time I use it.
Used it for a solid week in February.
Maybe todays are not as good as yesterdays.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone. I ordered a Klymit Insulated Static V.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really.
I bought my Thermarest in 1993 and it still inflates and stays inflated each and every time I use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really.

I think his comments apply only to CCF pads. I've tried CCF, self inflating, and inflatable, and I can definitely say my 2.5" thick Klymit is comfortable. Once my fiance and friend each laid on it, they each bought one too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think his comments apply only to CCF pads. I've tried CCF, self inflating, and inflatable, and I can definitely say my 2.5" thick Klymit is comfortable. Once my fiance and friend each laid on it, they each bought one too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really.

Not quite sure what a ccf pad is but my old Thermarest is definitely self inflating and keeps my back warm while sleeping in my bag and again does not leak.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#14]
CCF = Closed Cell Foam
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CCF = Closed Cell Foam
View Quote

Ahh!!
Thanks for the explanation.
Back in the 70's and early 80's we used closed cell foam 3/8 inch pads that were vanilla in color and called Ensolite.
They were just barely passable and did not give one a relaxed nights sleep even if you were some young early 20's whip.
I will happily use a Thermarest or like type insulated inflatable any day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
EDIT-

Figured it out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#17]
big agnes is the most comfortable pad I've ever used. Got their sleep system and I use it in my hammock. It's wonderful.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Big Agnes and Thermarest Neo Air.   In winter, I add a closed cell foam pad.    Count ounces, not dollars.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Thermarest Xtherm. Light, compact and super warm. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Therm a rest NeoAir XLite for temps 40F and up (mostly summer) and an Exped DownMat UL7 for 0F-40F.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top