Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 11:46:04 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good family sized tent that can hold a minimum of 4 people (2 adults, 2 children) and 4 medium sized dogs. I have a budget of around $300 and don't mind buying used. I'm leaning more toward cabin/multi room tents vs. dome tents. This will be used for car camping with the family only. Below are a few used tents i have found on craigslist. I'm a little weary of Coleman tents because every one I have owned before ended up being a POS.  

Columbia Cougar Flats II - Asking $175.

Coleman 14x10 - asking $125

Eureka The Lodge - Asking $200

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabelas Alaska Guide Tent sleeps 4 and is pretty skookum. They are $349.they hold up to hard use.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe in tents you usually get what you pay for.  First think about size.  Company's that market tents grossly under size their offerings.  For just 4 people I would suggest a 6 to 8 man tent, add the dogs and gear you might be better off with 8 to 10 man. If you want to have this tent for years to come, you will have to pay to get good quality.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought an eureka tetragon 10 from their online outlet. They sell two different classes, "a" and "b". Their explanation to me was that A's are displays and B's are returns that have been inspected. I bought a "B".  The B class came with a 1 year warranty.

We haven't actually camped in it yet, but I have had it set up in the backyard. It fits two queen sized mattresses easily. It was extremely easy to put up for how large it is. My only complain is that the rain fly doesn't completely cover the front or back doors. I have had it set up in rain that blew directly on the door and a small, small amount of water(about 4oz) came through the seam/zipper. I think some seam sealer/waterproofing may solve this. As of now I'm very happy with my purchase. I'd be surprised if that changes after next week.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have young kids now, consider cheaping out on the tent.

I have seen little kids run through screen doors,hang from and break tent poles, plus all the gross shit little kids do, dirty hands, snots, getting sick, etc. Get a tent you can roll up and throw out of you need to, without breaking the bank.

After you shitcan the tent body, if you pick a model that sets up as "fast-fly"IE rain fly, tent poles, and ground sheet, it makes a great park or beach  or tailgatng or general outdoor hang-out.

Same advice applies to music festival or "tent city" living.

After the kids learn their lesson in not breaking or puking in a tent, and the still enjoy the outdoors, splurge on a lifetime-lasting "cry once" tent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Wenzel Klondike tent.

I have only used it a few times. It is pretty neat though.

Steel poles
I can stand in it    < Favorite feature, 6 foot tall
You can separate the two rooms.
Only one door

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, take a look here:  http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3068.

It's the Eureka factory outlet.  I picked up a factory seconds Solitaire the other day and can't find any blemishes on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Same tent here. Like mine pretty well. Only gripe I have is not enough pockets inside.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
we have a 10 man eddie bauer that we bought at target that has been awesome
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what we have.  REI Kingdom 6

I love it.  Lightweight, comes in a backpack, I can set it up by myself, has a divider that makes two rooms, and it has PLENTY of room for my family of four +dog.  I got ours on Craigslist for much less than retail - it was a floor sample or something.

Not my pics:

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Just found this deal... kelty Sonic 8 $210 after 45% off coupon.
LINK

Alps Meramac 16x10' $260
LINK

Alps Rimrock 14x10 $230
LINK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top