Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2015 1:58:07 PM EDT
I have some torn cartilage in my chest that never healed correctly.  I can't ride a regular bike because it throws my weight onto my arms when I lean on the handlebars.

So I'm looking into getting a recumbent bike/trike, but I know nothing about them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
We recently acquired a Bacchetta recumbent for my wife, who also finds standard bicycles to uncomfortable
to ride. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. They require slightly different riding style to a standard
double diamond frame bike, mainly to do with not being able to stand on the pedals to use body weight for
torque. You have to learn to "spin" up those hills! The next thing to consider is transporting them on a vehicle, they
tend to be longer and trike recumbents have a large footprint, they are not flat on any plane. You can't just
hang them off a carrier on the back of a vehicle.

Safety concerns arise from them tending to ride lower than a normal bike, that's why many riders use a
flag in traffic.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
they are also illegal in mostraces due to being more efficient than normal bikes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We recently acquired a Bacchetta recumbent for my wife, who also finds standard bicycles to uncomfortable
to ride. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. They require slightly different riding style to a standard
double diamond frame bike, mainly to do with not being able to stand on the pedals to use body weight for
torque. You have to learn to "spin" up those hills! The next thing to consider is transporting them on a vehicle, they
tend to be longer and trike recumbents have a large footprint, they are not flat on any plane. You can't just

Safety concerns arise from them tending to ride lower than a normal bike, that's why many riders use a
flag in traffic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

flag in traffic.

What type of steering?  OSS or BSS?  Long wheelbase?

Quoted:
they are also illegal in most races due to being more efficient than normal bikes.

That's OK, I don't plan on racing.  As long as I can ride in a rally if I choose to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Utah trikes has 3 and 4 wheelers, plenty of clips.
i liked the one I saw that had a gear change in the hub of the pedal setup.
If you were stopped quick you could use your heel on the nub area at the center of the pedal/crank to shift into a lower gear to start out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]

What type of steering?  OSS or BSS?  Long wheelbase?
View Quote

This one:

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/touring/giro-20

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top