Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2015 3:14:35 AM EDT
I've done my fair share of humping a lot of weight around when I was in the Army (10th Mountain specifically) but it was all done with heavy gear.  I have no experience with the civilian world of lightweight gear.  I currently hike regularly but mostly day hikes with an overnight camping trip every now and then, though we don't venture far from the car.  I'd like to change this and get into backpacking and hiking further and for several days.  I currently use an issued Army ruck sack and issued sleep system.  Neither of these will do lol.

I've been doing research the last few days and just want some extra advice.

Items I need:
Backpack
Sleeping bag (15 degree rating, I will not be in single digit temps)
Tent (2 person)

I'm looking for 3 season gear (I do not need 4 season)
Lightweight (does not need to be ultra lightweight)
Longest planned hikes will be 7 days (planning to do the High Sierra Trail in 7-13 months), majority will be 3-5
I don't want to spend a fortune but I also don't want to get shitty quality, so a good medium

I've learned that I need to try packs on before buying them to see what fits me best.  I have a couple in particular in mind (Osprey Atmos 65 and North Face Terra 65) that I'm going to try on this week when I head to REI.  Any other specif packs you guys would recommend?  From my research I believe 65 would be adequate for my trips.

I'm currently looking at three sleeping bags
Marmot Trestles 15
Big Agnes Encampment
Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree Down
Any suggestions on bags or comments on these in particular?

I was suggested several tents
ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2
Mountainsmith Morrison 2
Eureka! Apex 2
Kelty Trail Ridge 2
REI Passage 2
Like the bags, does anyone have an opinion on these tents or recommend one of their own?

I have most of the minor items but these are the three main components of backpacking and I'm ignorant to the civilian world of it.  Again, I plan to head to REI this week but the more knowledge the better.  

I appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say you are on the right track. Go to REI and get fitted for a pack. adjust it and see where it hits. I went with REI branded 75L pack. It's perfect for me. For Bags, I would say get a decent bag and blow your load on buying a really nice pad. I'm a bit bigger, so going to REI and trying the sleeping bags before I bought was a good decision because the one I was looking at online was too small for me
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
High Sierra Trail ....

Are you in the west and plan on most of your trips being in the Sierra?

If so...
You are going to need a bear can. I use a bear vault. They work well and IMO the best bag for the buck.

Bigger Pack - I agree with the poster above. I have an 82L pack and my boys are running 78L. The bear can is big and bulky. Take a look at the difference in total pack weigh between a 65L and an 80L and you find it is ounces.

ETA - BTW my 82L pack is sub 4#. They don't have to be heavy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say you are on the right track. Go to REI and get fitted for a pack. adjust it and see where it hits. I went with REI branded 75L pack. It's perfect for me. For Bags, I would say get a decent bag and blow your load on buying a really nice pad. I'm a bit bigger, so going to REI and trying the sleeping bags before I bought was a good decision because the one I was looking at online was too small for me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  Regardless of what bag I get I plan on getting a high quality pad.  

I've also heard REI has a ridiculous return policy so I'd like to buy most of my items from them.  

Quoted:
High Sierra Trail ....

Are you in the west and plan on most of your trips being in the Sierra?

If so...
You are going to need a bear can. I use a bear vault. They work well and IMO the best bag for the buck.

Bigger Pack - I agree with the poster above. I have an 82L pack and my boys are running 78L. The bear can is big and bulky. Take a look at the difference in total pack weigh between a 65L and an 80L and you find it is ounces.

ETA - BTW my 82L pack is sub 4#. They don't have to be heavy.

Thanks, I'm in the Bay Area.  A bear canister is something on my minor list, thanks for the recommendation.  

How well would an 80L+ pack do on shorter/weekend trips?  Is too much a negative?  I'd say the majority of my trips will NOT be in bear country.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've done my fair share of humping a lot of weight around when I was in the Army (10th Mountain specifically) but it was all done with heavy gear.  I have no experience with the civilian world of lightweight gear.  I currently hike regularly but mostly day hikes with an overnight camping trip every now and then, though we don't venture far from the car.  I'd like to change this and get into backpacking and hiking further and for several days.  I currently use an issued Army ruck sack and issued sleep system.  Neither of these will do lol.

I've been doing research the last few days and just want some extra advice.

Items I need:
Backpack
Sleeping bag (15 degree rating, I will not be in single digit temps)
Tent (2 person)

I'm looking for 3 season gear (I do not need 4 season)
Lightweight (does not need to be ultra lightweight)
Longest planned hikes will be 7 days (planning to do the High Sierra Trail in 7-13 months), majority will be 3-5
I don't want to spend a fortune but I also don't want to get shitty quality, so a good medium

I've learned that I need to try packs on before buying them to see what fits me best.  I have a couple in particular in mind (Osprey Atmos 65 and North Face Terra 65) that I'm going to try on this week when I head to REI.  Any other specif packs you guys would recommend?  From my research I believe 65 would be adequate for my trips.

I'm currently looking at three sleeping bags
Marmot Trestles 15
Big Agnes Encampment
Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree Down
Any suggestions on bags or comments on these in particular?

I was suggested several tents
ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2
Mountainsmith Morrison 2
Eureka! Apex 2
Kelty Trail Ridge 2
REI Passage 2
Like the bags, does anyone have an opinion on these tents or recommend one of their own?

I have most of the minor items but these are the three main components of backpacking and I'm ignorant to the civilian world of it.  Again, I plan to head to REI this week but the more knowledge the better.  

I appreciate any input.
View Quote

Like Sierra Trading Post on Facebook and get on their e-mail list as they send out Facebook and e-mail discount links.

You may be able to get more sleeping bag than you think you can. Based on another member's suggestion, I picked this up for $179 after one of their e-mail discounts:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-15-f-meteor-penguin-down-sleeping-bag-700-fill-power-long-mummy~p~8486c/?filterString=s~sleeping-bag%2Fspecdataor~temperature%20rating%3B1-20%20degrees%2Fspecdataor~sleeping%20bag%20style%3Bdown%2F&colorFamily=01

While you are looking at packs, consider this:
http://www.campmor.com/Product___83231?cm_vc=PDPZ1
Backpacking magazine rated it pretty high and it is not heavy or expensive.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How well would an 80L+ pack do on shorter/weekend trips?  Is too much a negative?  I'd say the majority of my trips will NOT be in bear country.
View Quote

Almost all packs come with compression straps that allow you to compress / reduce the volume of the pack. Maybe I'm old school but I have one pack I use for everything. No problem on the weekend trips. You lay the pack flat and distribute the load, then pull the straps to hold everything in place. (Heavy stuff high and close to your back if you didn't know.) With a bigger pack you don't have to cram all your stuff in. This makes it easier to find your stuff and everything goes inside....

Most of the weight of a pack is in the suspension. Adding a little most sack fabric only adds ounces to total weight.

Quick Example from REI - Atmos 50 & 65 series - Both Lrg -> Fits torso 20-23"
Osprey Atmos 53L -> 4# 5oz
Osprey Atmos 68L -> 4# 11oz

You get 15L for 6oz. (approx 28% more room)

If you are planning on mostly weekend trips an 80l pack might be a little too big but don't follow the recent trend of getting a 40l pack either. I would not go any less than a 65L.

The cool thing about REI is you can play. Grab some stuff off the shelves. Get a sleeping bag and stuff it into the pack and see how it fits, etc. They might have demo gear for this purpose. REI use to rent packs. You might be able to try one out before you buy..

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You will find that you will need more than one sleeping bag. One for warm weather and a cold bag for the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Holy crap, i check them on occasion but I hadn't seen those tent prices.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#9]
For a pack, I had just settled on the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 - under 3lbs, an honest suspension system, roll top closure, wet gear storage area, side bottle pockets, all kinds of compression straps (lines).

For a 2 person tent you want dual entry, dual vestibule. Each person gets "their side" and each person has a door. This means when you have to pee you are less likely to disturb the other person. Same if you need some gear item.

The tarp-tent double rainbow is pretty great, and i've been looking at the tarp tent stratospire II which uses trekking poles for setup instead of sectional tent-poles.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

REI for the win.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 and 2, both excellent tents.   I also have a Tarptent Hogback, for when I take the whole family.  It is amazing!
I can recommend any of these, they've been awesome.  

If I were to buy again, I'd probably go with a Tarptent Double Rainbow for a 2 person.  I originally ordered one before the Copper Spur, but it had some shortcomings I didn't like.  They have all been addressed now, and it looks like a real winner.  I absolutely love my Hogback, a 4 pound tent for 4 people!  The Copper Spur's are pricey, but I got them with REI dividends plus the 20% coupon, so they weren't too bad.  Still more than a TT Double Rainbow though.  The ease of setup with Tarptent is really nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped lately.  

Quoted:
Like Sierra Trading Post on Facebook and get on their e-mail list as they send out Facebook and e-mail discount links.

You may be able to get more sleeping bag than you think you can. Based on another member's suggestion, I picked this up for $179 after one of their e-mail discounts:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't have a Facebook but I subscribed to their e-mail newsletter.  Hopefully I can try that pack on in person to test it out.  

Quoted:
Almost all packs come with compression straps that allow you to compress / reduce the volume of the pack. Maybe I'm old school but I have one pack I use for everything. No problem on the weekend trips. You lay the pack flat and distribute the load, then pull the straps to hold everything in place. (Heavy stuff high and close to your back if you didn't know.) With a bigger pack you don't have to cram all your stuff in. This makes it easier to find your stuff and everything goes inside....

Most of the weight of a pack is in the suspension. Adding a little most sack fabric only adds ounces to total weight.

If you are planning on mostly weekend trips an 80l pack might be a little too big but don't follow the recent trend of getting a 40l pack either. I would not go any less than a 65L.

The cool thing about REI is you can play. Grab some stuff off the shelves. Get a sleeping bag and stuff it into the pack and see how it fits, etc. They might have demo gear for this purpose. REI use to rent packs. You might be able to try one out before you buy..

Thanks for the info, I'll stick with my original plan of a 65L but I'll by no means not be open to a larger pack as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]

I was actually checking there periodically the last few days and saw this.  I ended up getting an ATLAS Zephyr 2 tent for 99.  I had originally been suggested five different tents, all with very good reviews and with similar features.  When they had the Zephyr 2 for 99 I didn't hesitate.  Now it's on to the bag and pack.

Quoted:
You will find that you will need more than one sleeping bag. One for warm weather and a cold bag for the rest of the year.
View Quote

I'm not too worried about that.  I have the patrol bag from my Army sleep system if I wanted to take that and I can always sleep on top of the heavier bag I end up buying, I've done that plenty of times before.  

Quoted:
For a pack, I had just settled on the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 - under 3lbs, an honest suspension system, roll top closure, wet gear storage area, side bottle pockets, all kinds of compression straps (lines).
View Quote

That pack looks awesome, love the colors.  I'd definitely like to try it on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't have a Facebook but I subscribed to their e-mail newsletter.  Hopefully I can try that pack on in person to test it out.  

Thanks for the info, I'll stick with my original plan of a 65L but I'll by no means not be open to a larger pack as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are anywhere near the Chicago area, I just got one that you can try. One of the neatest things about this back is how adjustable it is. It has adjustments for shoulder width and torso length.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't buy anything by ALPS. I've been very disappointed with the quality of their stuff. And if you're going into the High Sierra's, you're in the "need real crap" style of backpacking.

Look at MSR and Big Agnes for tents.

The packs you've listed are great, I like the Osprey Atmos. They just came out with a new suspension this year, and it is quite nice. The AG series pack might be the nicest, most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

You've got good bags listed, but I would also look at the Marmot Helium or Xenon, whatever their 15 degree down bag is. It's lighter and nicer than the Trestles, and warmer and lighter. Also more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Also, the sleeping bag is one part of your system. Just as important is your pad. People will drop $400 on a sleeping bag, and then sleep on a $7 blue foam roll from Wal-Mart, and wonder why they're cold and sore. Buy a nice pad like a Thermarest or Big Agnes Pad.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm surprised no one has suggested Gregory for packs yet, top notch packs, take a look at the Baltoro model, I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with pretty much what has been said. REI should be a first spot. Try on a few packs and see what fits. Dont skimp on a pad your back will thank you. Check backcountry.com as well. also, backpacker magazine has reviews on everything
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my REI quarterdome t2 plus tent. I think it is on the outlet right now too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top