Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 2:46:08 AM EDT
I need a new one for this year as my 7 year old is going to take my cheap other one.  We plan on trying the camping more around here, he loves it.  

Anyways, I am 6'3", 200lbs.  Temps shouldn't ever be below freezing, with warmer more likely then colder(Kentucky weather can swing quite a bit and humidity can be unbearable).  Most of the time we will have my truck until he is older and we can try the backpacking thing.

I don't even know where to begin to look for one.  Is $100 or less possible for a good one that packs easy?  

This kid's first camping trip was last summer and it's all he talks about now. Time to start buying supplies......

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:38:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Campmor often has some good deals on closeouts. You won't get a Wiggys or other high-end bag at that price, but you should be able to find a decent NorthFace or similar. I picked up a NorthFace "Wasatch" 30F bag last summer for about $80. Stuffs beautifully in the bottom of my pack.

ETA: At your height, definitely get a "long" bag, and depending on your sleeping preference or frame, think about bag shape. The Wasatch is a little narrower in the knees and footbox than I like, 6'1/230 and size 13 feet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
What is your old bag, what do/don't you like about it? You have some options at $100.

I got really lucky with the "best offer" feature on ebay, so don't mark it off the list.
Check the usual guys... Sierra trading post, steep&cheap, campmor, campsaver, backcountryedge, rei outlet, the clymb, leftlanesports... also activejunky.com can save you another 5-10%+ cashback.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up an ALPS Mountaineering Crescent Lake 20 bag from Steep & Cheap (I think ) for $45 and it's a great deal. I find it warm below its rated temp, and I have a liner that should extend its comfort range to at least 10F. It's pretty bulky but with the stuff sack should compress small enough to stick in most external frame packs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My winter bag is a Kelty 0 degree down.  You might want a 30 or 40 degree but I really like that bag.  It's 550 fill down and was about 140 online.  I also have a synthetic north face allutian that has held up great for about 6 years.  That one was right around $100.  make sure you buy a long bag if you're that tall.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I picked up an ALPS Mountaineering Crescent Lake 20 bag from Steep & Cheap (I think ) for $45 and it's a great deal. I find it warm below its rated temp, and I have a liner that should extend its comfort range to at least 10F. It's pretty bulky but with the stuff sack should compress small enough to stick in most external frame packs.
View Quote
damn I'd love a bag like that for that price.  Did they have longs when you bought it ?

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Sierra Outpost is having some killer prices on bags for today only.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
damn I'd love a bag like that for that price.  Did they have longs when you bought it ?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure they had longs, but unfortunately I needed a wide. Right now I see a long on amazon.com for $65. It's eligible for Prime.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Mountain Hardware Ultra Lamina 32F long bag. It packs down to 5L and I've slept in t-shirt and shorts in it down to 35F and was too warm still. It's a great bag.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like the OP has abandoned his thread. He hasn't replied in over a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top