Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 10:38:02 PM EDT
I'll be doing some backpacking in the NC/TN Appalachians in two weeks and its looks like there will still be snow and ice on the ground. Can you guys please give me some pointers about hiking and camping in these types on conditions. I'm already know I'm going to pick up a cheap pair of shoe spikes for my boots. I do have a pair of trekking poles I'll be bringing too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Keeping your feet dry and warm is top of the list.  Good boots, some Smartwool socks and a pair of gators.  Stock up on capiline clothing and wear layers instead of bulky jackets, but one quality jacket for sure.  Don't wear cotton. Buy a WindPro from LaRue; they're very nice for the noggin.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a WindPro from LaRue; they're very nice for the noggin.
View Quote

Good idea, always need an excuse to get more dust.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
A tent would be nice, and wool blanket for under the sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have extensive experience backpacking out west in the Rockies and around my home state, I already own most of the equipment. Just looking for pointers on how to deal with these new conditions since I've never camped/hiked in the cold.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have extensive experience backpacking out west in the Rockies and around my home state, I already own most of the equipment. Just looking for pointers on how to deal with these new conditions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have extensive experience backpacking out west in the Rockies and around my home state, I already own most of the equipment. Just looking for pointers on how to deal with these new conditions.

Oh..

Well....

Nevermind
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh..

Well....

Nevermind
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh..

Well....

Nevermind

OP Dennis, you asked for that.  

I would definitely say you need a thermal pad under your sleeping bag.  You probably already have one based on your extensive hiking experience.  They're important because in the winter you will lose a metric ton of heat to the ground if you don't have one.   Also guard your water from freezing.    Army plastic canteens, nalgenes, and especially bladder drinking tubes freeze to screw you.   When I was in the service I'd put my canteen in the bottom of my bag, my clothes would be kicked in the bottom of my bag unless they were soaking.  My boots would be under the foot area of my bag but on top of my mat.  Just keeps the boots somewhat pliable and nothing sucks worse than sticking your warm foot into an icy boot with yesterday's frozen sweat.

Up your carbs and proteins.  Have some carbs before going to bed.  It'll burn off into heat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Propane is pretty much worthless in those kind of cold temps. You need to have a stove fuel that will work in the cold.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Propane is pretty much worthless in those kind of cold temps. You need to have a stove fuel that will work in the cold.
View Quote

Thanks, since this trip will be solo I'll be taking my Jetboil so that should be fine in the temperatures I'm expecting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Even though Jetboil contains butane it is predominantly propane.

Here is an excerpt from the Jetboil site:

"If you are looking to use your cooking system in temperatures colder than 45 degrees Fahrenheit, please check out our MiniMo , Sumo and Joule cooking systems.  These systems feature our advanced Jetboil Regulator Technology to deliver consistent heat output down to 20° F (-6° C)."

I have done cold weather camping, single digit stuff. You really want white gas if you are expecting temps in the 30's or below.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Propane boils at -42C, is there any reason as to why it's not a very good cold-weather camping fuel? I worked as a forklift mechanic for 6 years and never noticed much of a difference between propane & gasoline when starting in cold weather, assuming correct ignition timing and a good state of tune. Vapor withdrawal systems started easier than liquid withdrawal systems, mainly because vapor pressure on the surface of the liquid isn't important like it is in liquid withdrawal systems. So why is propane not a good choice in the cold?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Sleeping:
Use a sleeping pad or 2, and if you have a splace blanket, shiny side up and lay on that. I sleep with minimal clothing (unless it drops below 0), and keep all my clothing inside my sleeping bag, with socks etc. Keep a bottle of warm water between your legs to insulate you and so it doesn't freeze. If you have a poncho or tarp make sure to put it under your tent.

Cooking:
I use a jetboil, all the way to -20f and never had a problem with it freezing. I also try to insulate EVERYTHING so it does not freeze. You can cook in the tent if you don't have a vestibule, if you do use that. if not and you have an extra poncho set up a little kitchen part. Or just make sure you don't trap all the gasses in your tent. Common sense

Have fun! I love winter camping.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Jetboil is 80% isobutane, 20% propane.

Isobutane vaporizes down to 11 degrees F.

Handy link to more info on using stoves in cold weather
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
IME, its not fun or comfortable to camp in cold weather. Even in an outfitters camp with a cooking wall tent and stove. I need a very good reason to do it....like Elk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sleeping:
Use a sleeping pad or 2, and if you have a splace blanket, shiny side up and lay on that. I sleep with minimal clothing (unless it drops below 0), and keep all my clothing inside my sleeping bag, with socks etc. Keep a bottle of warm water between your legs to insulate you and so it doesn't freeze. If you have a poncho or tarp make sure to put it under your tent.

Cooking:
I use a jetboil, all the way to -20f and never had a problem with it freezing. I also try to insulate EVERYTHING so it does not freeze. You can cook in the tent if you don't have a vestibule, if you do use that. if not and you have an extra poncho set up a little kitchen part. Or just make sure you don't trap all the gasses in your tent. Common sense

Have fun! I love winter camping.
http://i.imgur.com/iUwSHZj.jpg?1
View Quote

I love winter camping too, I just wish my friends did as well! It's really not something that's very fun to do by yourself. Not very safe, either, especially in avalanche country or when cold weather injuries strike. I suppose I could get involved with a scout troop, mine did a lot of winter camping 30 years ago. Hopefully they still get out & do that stuff now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#15]
My suggestions.

1.  Good sleeping pad and ground cloth under bag
2.  As mentioned putting a hot water bottle (inside sock/watch cap) into your bag to preheat it and to have unfrozen water to start your morning with.
3.  Wide mouth piss bottle in the tent with you for those late night calls.  Urinate before you get in the bag.
4.  Turn water bottles upside down in their carriers.  Water freezes at the top, upside down you'll be able to unscrew the tops.
5.  Wear a watch cap to bed
6.  Keep blades sharp to prevent bouncing off strikes.
7.  Gather your firewood early and keep under a tarp
8.  As stated cotton kills.  I still prefer wool as it will keep you warm when wet.
9.  Air your bag out before repacking it.
10.  I keep a thermos of hot water in my day bag when out and about.
11.  Enjoy!

CD
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Fresh socks before bed becomes even more important!
Don't sleep in stuff you wore that day, because it will be slightly damp from sweat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks, since this trip will be solo I'll be taking my Jetboil so that should be fine in the temperatures I'm expecting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says who about the propane? I live in an area that right now it is -30 degs and my propane grill still works fine and this is with wind the temp right now without wind is -5 degs . Most people here in the Dakotas heat there homes with propane so not sure what SteveOak is talking about as I will bet him where I'm at is colder then PA!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the advice guys. Still trying to work out some details, looks like the trail I was planning on using in the Grandfather Mtn area is closed, hopefully weather improves and it opens up soon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#19]
waking in snow is a lot more work than walking on a dirt trail, especially if it is wet or icy. snow shoes might be in order.

as for your idea on cheap ice spikes, from what I have seen and been told, the cheap spikes tend to fall out leaving you out of luck. The chains with the metal grips seem to be the best bet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Says who about the propane? I live in an area that right now it is -30 degs and my propane grill still works fine and this is with wind the temp right now without wind is -5 degs . Most people here in the Dakotas heat there homes with propane so not sure what SteveOak is talking about as I will bet him where I'm at is colder then PA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind chill is not a measure of temperature. It is a contrived number intended to convey a perceived 'feel' to the human skin when wind is present. Whatever is displayed on the thermometer is the temperature.

Propane stove: The term was used colloquially. The type of stove to which this discussion refers uses a fuel that is only 15% propane so the comparison to a propane system is not applicable. Jetboil fuel is 85% isobutane that has a much higher 'boiling' temperature, 11 degrees F
(-12 C) compared to -43 F (-42 C) for propane,

Here is a quote from the Jetboil site "If you are looking to use your cooking system in temperatures colder than 45 degrees Fahrenheit, please check out our MiniMo , Sumo and Joule cooking systems.  These systems feature our advanced Jetboil Regulator Technology to deliver consistent heat output down to 20° F (-6° C)."

Handy link to page with this information
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top