Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good point. It took some trial & error and reading about what others were doing before I came to love it. But just like FiveFiveSix, you will be hard pressed to find me sleeping on the ground ever again.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been in the hammock for years and I'm still learning. There are always new ways to do things.

If y'all can find a hammock hang in your area I highly recommend it. The Florida hang has grown in the past 5 years from 50 people to almost 250 this year. Lots of experience to be shared.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been buying some gear to
get to hanging & get off the ground.

I have a double nest, hex tarp, Eno
bug net, military sleeping pad, Atlas
straps.

I also bought my son a GT youth for
$25, and that gave me the idea to
use one under my DN to hold a
poncho liner in place. I figure to
tie the GT to the Atlas straps
with bungies so it can flex
as I get the DN. I thought I
would try that first, for 3
seasons, and then maybe
invest in a good down under-
quilt if I need something warmer.

I will also add a Superfly for
Cub Scout camp outs so we
have a place to change clothes,
also.

That's my plan until I actually
get to try it more. I suppose I'll try
it the yard again, but I think
I will be hard pressed to spend
the night a few yards from my
warm bed and the wife...

The last thing I want to work out
is if I can get my my son's hammock
to hang parallel to mine from the
same trees. We tried one night last
summer with both hammocks
tied into the same Atlas straps.
I thought if I got both hammocks
rigged side by side, it would
work, but I never could get it
arranged well enough to work.
I made it to about 11:00 pm, and
we went in the house.

Great thread.

John
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought about it, but then attended an arf survival forum campout.  When the bears roamed into camp, I was very glad that I was not in a hammock.
View Quote

A tent is going to offer no more protection from a bear than a hammock.  

Treadwell and his girlfriend were in their tent, there was a couple camping a few miles from one of my favorite hiking areas that got mauled by a bear while they were in their tent.  The whole, "I am more vulnerable in a hammock than a tent" argument is simply invalid.

When I have a tarp over my hammock it is like a tent, the ends are closed and tied down and the sides are generally only a few inches from the ground.  A little bit of sylnylon is not going to stop a bear intent on causing harm, whether it is in a tent wall or a tarp over a hammock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is my set up without the tarp

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You cant simply hang in a hammock for one night and love it.. Thats the sad reality. It takes a few nights of misery and trial and error to perfect it. However, once you have a system, and some good gear, you cant even compare hammocks to tents. If you enjoy the outdoors, and camping, you owe to your self to try hammocking, but remember you have to stick with it, and customize your set up to your liking, or you will be miserable. Took me several sleepless nights to get my set up right. But now? you wont find me in the woods in a tent.. Stop over at hammock forums, and READ... read all you can, learn from others mistakes. Once you have it figured out, I'll bet you never lay on the ground in the woods again
View Quote

That's rather true.  My first hammock night didn't involve much sleep.  Oddly, I felt well rested the next day, even with minimal sleep.
Quality over quantity?  I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered and ENO Ember2 underquilt last week. Should be here soon. Gonna try it out next weekend if the weather stays cool enough.
I also ordered some more Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine to upgrade my old hammock's suspension system. I'm loaning it to my brother as he will be going with me next week. USPS has managed to screw things up and my order is late and/or lost.

I'm seriously considering buying the Silnylon and sewing a tarp myself. But for the same amount of money, I could buy a Kelty Noah's tarp. Does anyone have any experience with sewing their own or the Noah's tarp?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]

My current setup.  Warbonnet XLC and a walmart tarp.  The hammock is super comfy!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

we went in the house.

Great thread.

John
View Quote

Use both sets of straps, with you on the bottom.  Set the straps as low as you can without you touching the ground when in the hammock.  Have your boy setup about 3 feet higher than you with his straps.  Our scouts do this often and we call it "nesting".   They've done it with three high this way.  It's pretty funny to watch them climb the others to get to the one on top.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a ENO OneLink Hammack Shelter.  It's basically a double nest with a bug screen and fly.  I've not used the bug screen as I simply put my flash light in the pocket that hangs down on the edge and flip it over myself.  Basically making me a burrito.  I put my Exped SynMat in first, toss in my sleeping bag, and Big Agnes camp pillow.  I sleep at about a 15 degree angle which helps with knee hyperextension.  I'm never sleeping in a tent again if I can help it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Got our first hammock trip this weekend.

Calling for rain tomorrow, I really hope it stops before we get there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your fly is slightly larger and can be set up with poles to make an “awning”, the hammock becomes a much more functional shelter during a down pour.  With a tent, you’re confined to your tent which is fine for sleeping and doing some organizational tasks.  With a hammock and fly opened up with an awning setup, you can cook, almost fully stand to change clothes, sit on your pack or recline in your hammock like a chair; and what is more important is if it’s warm and humid, you get a much better airflow for a cooling affect.  About the only precautions would be to dig out a little drainage to keep water from soaking the ground under your fly.

Oh, and the other big advantage if it’s still raining while you’re packing to go, you can pack all your gear and hammock, fully dress and don rain gear including pack cover while remaining dry under your rain fly.  It takes me about two minutes to break-down and pack my wet fly (stays in an outside pack mesh pocket) before I hit the trail.  Doing that with a tent sucks and takes much longer; I would add that once it stops raining and I get a little sun and breeze, my rain fly dries in 10-15 minutes when laid out.

Tents have their place and advantages, but I’ve found hammocks much more comfortable, versatile and easier to deal with.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If your fly is slightly larger and can be set up with poles to make an “awning”, the hammock becomes a much more functional shelter during a down pour.  With a tent, you’re confined to your tent which is fine for sleeping and doing some organizational tasks.  With a hammock and fly opened up with an awning setup, you can cook, almost fully stand to change clothes, sit on your pack or recline in your hammock like a chair; and what is more important is if it’s warm and humid, you get a much better airflow for a cooling affect.  About the only precautions would be to dig out a little drainage to keep water from soaking the ground under your fly.

Oh, and the other big advantage if it’s still raining while you’re packing to go, you can pack all your gear and hammock, fully dress and don rain gear including pack cover while remaining dry under your rain fly.  It takes me about two minutes to break-down and pack my wet fly (stays in an outside pack mesh pocket) before I hit the trail.  Doing that with a tent sucks and takes much longer; I would add that once it stops raining and I get a little sun and breeze, my rain fly dries in 10-15 minutes when laid out.

Tents have their place and advantages, but I’ve found hammocks much more comfortable, versatile and easier to deal with.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Cohutta/DSCF0125_zps709eec91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Cohutta/DSCF0125_zps709eec91.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Appalachian%20Trail/DSCF6308_zpsecfbc0a3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Appalachian%20Trail/DSCF6308_zpsecfbc0a3.jpg</a>

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Cohutta/DSCF0125_zps709eec91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Cohutta/DSCF0125_zps709eec91.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Appalachian%20Trail/DSCF6308_zpsecfbc0a3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Appalachian%20Trail/DSCF6308_zpsecfbc0a3.jpg</a>

ROCK6

Thanks!

My tarp is big enough to do that.  My son's is not.  Still torn on if I really like his or not.

But I am also packing our big tarp, which is about 12' x 15', so I should be able to rig something up if needed.

I'll get some pics up next week.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Rock, it's like we're the same person.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]
So where do you put your rifle if you take it with you when you hammock camp?  Just curious and this is ar15.com.  I could hang mine from my fixed ridge line I'm sure.  I usually take my pistol when I have tent camped on the ground in the past.  I would just lay it on the floor of the tent in a corner or in a side pouch on the tent.  

Also looking for recommendations on an under quilt.  3 season down to a little below freezing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rock, it's like we're the same person.
View Quote

I think my mom hid a twin from me

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So where do you put your rifle if you take it with you when you hammock camp?  Just curious and this is ar15.com.  I could hang mine from my fixed ridge line I'm sure.  I usually take my pistol when I have tent camped on the ground in the past.  I would just lay it on the floor of the tent in a corner or in a side pouch on the tent.  

Also looking for recommendations on an under quilt.  3 season down to a little below freezing.
View Quote

The Warbonnet Black Bird has a "shelf" for my pistol in the hammock and when I've taken a rifle I just made a small tripod stand outside the hammock (but under the fly).  I've never even considered it an issue and with a winter tarp like the Superfly, it closes up just like a tall tent where you're rifle would be out of site.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Haven't used them in a couple years.  boys aged out of scouts.

Blue Poly tarp works, but it is noisy.  I have a sportmans guide tarp that works well.

Hammock and tarp now ride in the bug out box in the back of my truck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#19]
This is our last family hang before my boy shipped off to basic.  All five or us.

This is my favorite spot. We have two permanent camps on the property. One is momma camp
It has a tent and canopy and is more female/ cuddle time friendly.  I try to spend at least one night per set off days off out here at the hammock site. You can't beat the rest you get in a hammock. It's better than my bed.
Pretty soonit will be back under water.  

Momma camp.  Nighttime.

Maybe should have added I'm I'm my hammock on my iPad posting this.  

Edit 2:
Couple pics from last nights solo hang. I took them this morning.:

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Just out of curiosity, instead of using the supplied ropes to hang the hammock to the tree, what if I replace them with a single strand of paracord? Think that will hold up or will it stretch and be too hard to take down after use?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, you guys are making me jealous. I can't wait to get out and camp. Well the hammock is getting shipped out tomorrow for the zipper mod. They are saying up 5 weeks for return. Hoping to get it back sooner in case the weather picks up. Had a couple warm days and most of the snow is melted. Buddies and I are looking into a kayack/canoe camping trip up in the ADK.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, instead of using the supplied ropes to hang the hammock to the tree, what if I replace them with a single strand of paracord? Think that will hold up or will it stretch and be too hard to take down after use?
View Quote

Paracord will suck ass. Do it right and pick up some Amstell. The 7/64" variety is cheap and has great tensile strength w/o stretching. It's awesome stuff. I usually pick it up from Redden Marine.

I've found that West Marine (which seems to stock 1/8") keeps 7/64" in the warehouse. So if you have one nearby it might save some time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Brief AAR

Hammock camping is a different experience.  Buy one of the hammocks that was a built in pouch for your sleeping pad.  Otherwise you will be chasing that damned thing around in the middle of the night.  Be sure to hang your hammock so the head and feet are at about the same level.  If they aren't, you will slide down to the lowest end in the middle of the night.  You want about a 30* angle on the hanging straps.  Any less and it's too tight and wont open up properly.  Any slacker and you will start folding up in the middle of the night.

That said, once you hit that sweet spot, VERY comfortable.  Faster set up, faster in and out in the middle of the night when you have to go check on your kid.  Downside is your kid can get up and roam around and you have no idea they did it.

Pics later when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad you enjoyed it. A pad pocket is a must if you're going to sleep with one.

Also, the 30 degree suspension angle isn't just for comfort, it's for physics. The wrong angle can exponentially increase the stress on the suspension.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Glad you enjoyed it. A pad pocket is a must if you're going to sleep with one.

Also, the 30 degree suspension angle isn't just for comfort, it's for physics. The wrong angle can exponentially increase the stress on the suspension.
View Quote

Good to know!

Seeing as how the hammocks I bought don't have a pad pocket, and we aren't going to be using them often enough to justify the cost of getting some of the better ones, I am wondering if I can rig up a suspension system for a pad and woobie using shock cord.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Brief AAR

Hammock camping is a different experience.  Buy one of the hammocks that was a built in pouch for your sleeping pad.  Otherwise you will be chasing that damned thing around in the middle of the night.  Be sure to hang your hammock so the head and feet are at about the same level.  If they aren't, you will slide down to the lowest end in the middle of the night.  You want about a 30* angle on the hanging straps.  Any less and it's too tight and wont open up properly.  Any slacker and you will start folding up in the middle of the night.

That said, once you hit that sweet spot, VERY comfortable.  Faster set up, faster in and out in the middle of the night when you have to go check on your kid.  Downside is your kid can get up and roam around and you have no idea they did it.

View Quote

I have a hard time sleeping on my back. I get the thing as tight as possible to get the hammock as flat as possible so that I can kind of turn onto my side. I'm sure it puts a little extra load on the suspension but not really when you consider that the hammock is designed for 300 pounders.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have a hard time sleeping on my back. I get the thing as tight as possible to get the hammock as flat as possible so that I can kind of turn onto my side. I'm sure it puts a little extra load on the suspension but not really when you consider that the hammock is designed for 300 pounders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brief AAR

The trick to getting flat in them is laying diagonally.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#28]
My favorite hammock is the cheap "Equip" ($15) one from Walmart. A diagonal lay in it gets you almost flat.  My ex-wife's favorite was another cheap hammock called the Moskeeto Kakoon ($45) from Academy. She even abandoned her nice double nest Eno for it.  

Both were improved by removing the clunky stock suspensions and adding Amsteel whoopee slings and hugger straps. (look up a Hammock Forums member by the name of Squidbilly....he makes excellent suspensions and custom sil-nylon tarps for a good price.)

I had to do a lot of trial and error with hammocks to yield, long, restful sleep, but I did. Plus, a bad night in a hammock still beats a good night on the wet, hard ground.

Another "frugal", but great value is a $79 down sleeping bag (used as in overquilt mode) from Walmart. An Army surplus foam mat and that Walmart down bag has had me toasty warm down to the mid 40's. Throw a cheap fleece blanket in the mix and I can go down another 10 degrees.

For those of you, like me, who experience heel irritation or hyperextended knees while hammocking, get the the nice inflatable REI pillow and put it under your knees. Makes a world of difference.

One last thing....if you find yourself in a camp with a bunch of back laying hammockers, include a set of soft ear plugs in your kit to drown out neighbors who snore nearby. Trust me on that one.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#29]
It's taken me a bit, but here are the pics.

My son's set up:

My set up:

Hooch tips.

I need to get mine higher off the ground, esp the tarp.  Need to get the boy's a little lower, and def make sure his tarp is closer to him.  I MAY have to get him a different tarp, and save that one as a lightweight option in my ruck as I am not sure if it would give him enough cover if it actually rained.

I also need to get some whoopie slings for them to make the set up go a LOT faster.  I also need to figure out how to use the tree straps when the trees are too close together.  I had to reset my son's as it had way too much sag in it.  I ended up just tying a knot in the tree strap which I still have not gotten out yet.

I also need to get them out of the freezer and scrape the pine sap off.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#30]
That green tarp definitely looks too high.

It can be tricky when the trees are close together. Switching to whoopies makes it easy because you can put your toggle close to the tree.

Lookin' good!

If I have any amsteel left I can make some whoopies for you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It can be tricky when the trees are close together. Switching to whoopies makes it easy because you can put your toggle close to the tree.

Lookin' good!

View Quote

Awesome!

On those trees, they were just too damned close.  It didn't help that we got there right at dusk, so I was in a mad dash to try and get set up before night took over.  I did get some time to try and correct the hang the next day, but didn't mess with the tarps as it wasn't going to rain.

The other thing I am going to do is run a full length ridge line, rather than just tying off to the grommets.  That led to a decent bit of sag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome!

On those trees, they were just too damned close.  It didn't help that we got there right at dusk, so I was in a mad dash to try and get set up before night took over.  I did get some time to try and correct the hang the next day, but didn't mess with the tarps as it wasn't going to rain.

The other thing I am going to do is run a full length ridge line, rather than just tying off to the grommets.  That led to a decent bit of sag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lookin' good!

Awesome!

Experiment with the ridgeline. I've gone through several iterations. I started out with a line off either end of the tarp but that got old when trying to adjust. Now I alternate between a continuous ridgeline and a figure-8. The latter lets me easily slide the tarp exactly where I need it. It just depends which one I grab as I'm packing.

Find what works best for you.

Also, if I'm expecting rain I hang the tarp under the ridgeline. Otherwise I hang over. The reason for under is that I've experienced where the tarp wets out where it's pulled against the ridgeline and you end up with water on the wrong side of the tarp.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Experiment with the ridgeline. I've gone through several iterations. I started out with a line off either end of the tarp but that got old when trying to adjust. Now I alternate between a continuous ridgeline and a figure-8. The latter lets me easily slide the tarp exactly where I need it. It just depends which one I grab as I'm packing.

Also, if I'm expecting rain I hang the tarp under the ridgeline. Otherwise I hang over. The reason for under is that I've experienced where the tarp wets out where it's pulled against the ridgeline and you end up with water on the wrong side of the tarp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lookin' good!

Awesome!

A figure 8?

And how do you hang it below the ridge line?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A figure 8?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A figure 8?

I knew you were gonna ask.

This is pretty much it.

In this configuration I use the continuous ridgeline. I have klemheist knots with either mini-biners or amsteel biners. Tip: I use the klemheist over the prussik because I found that it holds better on the slick, 1.75mm Lash-It that I use for my ridgeline. I connect each tarp end to a biner and pull it taut w/o draping it over the ridgeline first. It'll sag a little in the middle (especially since I have an 12' tarp ridgeline) so I just hang it a little higher to keep it off the hammock.

Wish I would've grabbed a picture of it when I had it out a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is pretty much it.
http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/continuous-ridgeline-two-carabiners.jpg

In this configuration I use the continuous ridgeline. I have klemheist knots with either mini-biners or amsteel biners. Tip: I use the klemheist over the prussik because I found that it holds better on the slick, 1.75mm Lash-It that I use for my ridgeline. I connect each tarp end to a biner and pull it taut w/o draping it over the ridgeline first. It'll sag a little in the middle (especially since I have an 12' tarp ridgeline) so I just hang it a little higher to keep it off the hammock.

Wish I would've grabbed a picture of it when I had it out a couple of weeks ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A figure 8?

This is pretty much it.
http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/continuous-ridgeline-two-carabiners.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooo

Me likey!!!

Off to the surplus store!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is pretty much it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A figure 8?

This is pretty much it.

I heart you
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Anything wrong with using a bungee
cord with some 550 for the ridge line?
I have tried it in the yard attached to my
Atlas straps, at it seemed to work OK.
But maybe not on a windy night.

I have enough gear to try some
hang time this summer. Still working
to get adequate cold weather add-ons.

John

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I once ran across the idea of nesting,
but I had forgotten about it, just like
I had forgotten I had posted in this
thread! (Page 3)

A 2 high hang should be doable in
a Super Fly, me thinks!

Later!

John

Quoted:

Use both sets of straps, with you on the bottom.  Set the straps as low as you can without you touching the ground when in the hammock.  Have your boy setup about 3 feet higher than you with his straps.  Our scouts do this often and we call it "nesting".   They've done it with three high this way.  It's pretty funny to watch them climb the others to get to the one on top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we went in the house.

Great thread.

John

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anything wrong with using a bungee
cord with some 550 for the ridge line?
I have tried it in the yard attached to my
Atlas straps, at it seemed to work OK.
But maybe not on a windy night.
View Quote

I've never thought of using something like that on the ridgeline itself. I like to keep that as solid as possible. However, my tarp guy lines are equipped with shock cord so they flex.

550 would work if you're not worried about the weight. I just shoot for the smallest, lightest stuff I can. My 50' Lash-It ridgeline weighs about 2 oz.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top