Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 12:10:20 AM EDT
Christmas/birthday present from the wife.  Lots of winter riding to take place this winter.  I will be riding it in a 50k backcountry race next month
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Those are some big 'ol fat tires!

Seems like the rolling resistance would be a bit high but probably properly suited for sand or snow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Fatties...  My Bro-In-Law loves those things.  He's in Sioux Falls and rides to work even when the snow is thick.   Jealous.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, big fat wheels, not too bad on pavement but far from ideal.  I studded those tires up yesterday.  Great for snow, sand, tundra and marsh that we have up here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Christmas/birthday present from the wife.  Lots of winter riding to take place this winter.  I will be riding it in a 50k backcountry race next month

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x13/AlaskaJohn9/Mobile%20Uploads/20150110_153309_zpswtyjfr1w.jpg
View Quote
You don't need that in Alaska.   Send it to me.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x13/AlaskaJohn9/Mobile%20Uploads/20150110_153309_zpswtyjfr1w.jpg

Honestly this you might be right.  It is 41 degrees out the snow has turn ed to ice and now water, the frozen ground yesterday is soft.  Its a weird year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Honestly this you might be right.  It is 41 degrees out the snow has turn ed to ice and now water, the frozen ground yesterday is soft.  Its a weird year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has been crazy.  3 of us started on a weekend bikepacking trip 2 weeks ago.  Instead of snow we had freezing rain.  6 planned to go but 3 backed out before the start.  One Beargrease, My Fargo 2 and a CX bikes stared.  Both the beargrease and CX bike went down several times because of the ice.  We ended up getting off the gravel roads and going on paved.  I was the only one who never went down.  Schwalbe IceSpiker Pro studded tires made the difference.  We ended up giving up and getting a ride back to the start when the cx bike broke his rear wheel about 40 miles into the 100 mile trip.  All 3 of us were using bags made in Alaska.  Revelate Designs.  We have had snow for the last couple weeks but today it is above freezing and forecast boe that way for the next several days.  Snow is mush and bare spots are mud.  Single track and trails are would be ruined by riding.  Gravel roads are mud but can be ridden.  The 3 who may have been smart by backing out before the start were going to be riding 2 mukluks and a trek mountain bike.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has been crazy.  3 of us started on a weekend bikepacking trip 2 weeks ago.  Instead of snow we had freezing rain.  6 planned to go but 3 backed out before the start.  One Beargrease, My Fargo 2 and a CX bikes stared.  Both the beargrease and CX bike went down several times because of the ice.  We ended up getting off the gravel roads and going on paved.  I was the only one who never went down.  Schwalbe IceSpiker Pro studded tires made the difference.  We ended up giving up and getting a ride back to the start when the cx bike broke his rear wheel about 40 miles into the 100 mile trip.  All 3 of us were using bags made in Alaska.  Revelate Designs.  We have had snow for the last couple weeks but today it is above freezing and forecast boe that way for the next several days.  Snow is mush and bare spots are mud.  Single track and trails are would be ruined by riding.  Gravel roads are mud but can be ridden.  The 3 who may have been smart by backing out before the start were going to be riding 2 mukluks and a trek mountain bike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice sucks.  I studded the dillingers day before yesterday finally took them out today.  No snow or ice around the house so I found some ice to try the studs out on.  Stayed upright but it was still sketchy bumpy and water puddles on the ice.

Revelate makes good gear.  I want to check out bike bag dude and Becker frame bags before I decide what I am going to use as a frame bag.  I got the blackburn handlebar roll and love the mount but it isn't recommended for use with carbon bars, not sure I want to risk it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a great picture.  One my cousin took as we were turning onto the trial out of town.  Fargo in the lead with the Beargrease behind.  About 28 degrees and hard rain.  Ryan studded his Dillingers since that trip.

One of my studded tires in the front in this picture.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Any dislikes or things you would change with the revelate gear?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Any dislikes or things you would change with the revelate gear?
View Quote
I like it.  I haven't used any of the other similar bags.  I now have a little over 1000 miles using it.  For gravel and offroad touring it is much nicer than racks and panniers. Being prepared for winter weather takes more gear than summer touring.  We needed gear for both wet and cold Jan 3-4.  I was carrying double the weight that I carried for a 400 mile trip in July.

All joking aside.  I do like your bike.  Have fun with it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
That bad boy looks great AG!  

I do mostly traditional MTB and CX but I live in a city and my local bike store is a block away and I pass it almost daily.  I'm always lusting at the fat bikes in the window but I'm afraid to even try one for fear of the immediate impact on my bank account

Great stuff and I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Time to do some hillside runs!
-JR
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is something we tried here for straight up snow.

Deflate the tires -> take short sections of an old chain and zip tie around rim and tire -> inflate tire to lock them in place.

Worked OK for pudder'ing around the yard but not sure I would really want to ride very far that way. (x-country skis are a better way to go....)

BTW - VERY COOL pics guys -> keep'em coming
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is a pic from last week.  Did about a 20 mile loop that day. Did a 10 mile loop the other night.  Temps in the pic were single digits iirc.

Log9mm - there are some decently priced builds out there.  1200-1800 seems to be the sweet spot for a decent build.  I started out with a mongoose dolomite from Walmart for 260, that lasted 4 months The bike is still fine but I needed something better I put a carbon fork on it new tubes and tires dropping 13 pounds on it realized that it was gonna take a grand to get it to where I wanted it and quit.

Ranchhand365 - for stage snow I would drop the pressure to 4 psi and float.

Gililand440 - I am in the valley don't do much riding in the muni.  I was part of the 190+ riders that were part of the global fat bike day ride in Anchorage.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#15]
With the 17 inches of snow we had on Sunday the fat bikes have been very popular this week.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top