Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 1:54:53 PM EDT
Am totally ignorant about this and wanted to educate myself a bit. Can you guys suggest  something within a budget ? say $100- to under $200 outdoor GPS unit?  I want to use it for walk in the woods.

Thanks

BR
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a smartphone?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.. and good smartphone now includes a pretty good GPS.. for geocaching we use an app called C:GEO .. it's pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi, yes I do own an Iphone 5s  and it works well as GPS in the car, out in the woods I think will work well...  but that is if it can connect to the Network, a GPS will not suffer from this condition as it gets signal directly from satellite; also apps like this will drain the battery very fast. Out in the woods, I doubt a smart phone can be smart enough.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I started geocaching in 2001 and finally quit after it went full retard.  

Smartphone or even check craigslist for an old  etrex or Garmin V.  You don't topo maps or any of the fancy stuff for geocaching.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The iphone is about the least usefull a smartphone can be.

If you make the jump to Android you can get replaceable batteries or a big extended battery.

I spent 14 consecutive days on the trail last summer. I used backcountry navigator to make a track of our whole trip and took over 900 pictures.

Never went near an outlet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude it's not 1995 almost all newer smartphones have a built GPS chip and in many cases it's a better chip than stand alone GPS units have.

You do not need cell service for the GPS on your phone to work!!

The key is finding an app that works offline (when you have no coverage)  and has downloadable maps. I would suggest Motion X GPS (not GPS drive) since you are on IOS. There are tons of good mapping/GPS apps out there depending on what you need.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at the Garmin eTrex line.  The 20 model can be had for about $150.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The iphone is about the least usefull a smartphone can be.

If you make the jump to Android you can get replaceable batteries or a big extended battery.

I spent 14 consecutive days on the trail last summer. I used backcountry navigator to make a track of our whole trip and took over 900 pictures.

Never went near an outlet.
View Quote

Look, I'm no iPhone apologist, but damn man. It's as useful as any Android phone. I've owned several of both.

Plenty of battery cases available for an iPhone. And I even happen to own that is rugged and waterproof. AND takes replaceable batteries! It's spent many weeks being abused in the woods taking photos.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
What's a good android non-automotive GPS program? Preferably with topo maps, maybe airphotos...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started geocaching in 2001 and finally quit after it went full retard.  

Smartphone or even check craigslist for an old  etrex or Garmin V.  You don't topo maps or any of the fancy stuff for geocaching.
View Quote

Exactly...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top