Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 7:02:23 AM EDT
Sunday morning I saw a coyote walking our field road about 10am.  As I jumped up to grab a gun it squatted and took a dump.  When I got outside, it jumped off in the bushes and I didn't see it again.  I noticed that it had pooped a total of 4 times, 2 regular turds and 2 mushy piles.  It seemed to move with its head tilted and looked kind of rough.  

I've read that seeing nocturnal animals during the day is sometimes a sign of rabies.  Should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it and don't touch it as you diode of it. My wife and got our rabies shoots 2 months ago after our dog saved her from a rabid raccoon and she touched the blood splatter on the dog from where I shot the rabid raccon.  I recommend calling fish and game or domestic animal services and having it tested

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure the how long it takes for rabies to take its toll but I've seen a rabid raccoon near its end. It was underweight, walked in circles and kept falling over. Your dog could have just been sick or old...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Could have just been sick or have mange. Usually they'll walk like they are drunk if they are in the later stages of rabies. I've seen plenty of coyotes out into mid-morning, I usually hunt coyotes til around 11am, when they seem to bed down for the day. If you do shoot it, be sure not to shoot it in the head if you suspect rabies, the brain needs to me intact as that is what is sent out for testing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure the how long it takes for rabies to take its toll but I've seen a rabid raccoon near its end. It was underweight, walked in circles and kept falling over. Your dog could have just been sick or old...
View Quote

That was probably distemper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot it and don't touch it as you diode of it. My wife and got our rabies shoots 2 months ago after our dog saved her from a rabid raccoon and she touched the blood splatter on the dog from where I shot the rabid raccon.  I recommend calling fish and game or domestic animal services and having it tested  
View Quote

Been there, done that. The rabies vaccine isn't that bad, but the globulin shots, especially the infiltration of the puncture site, are a major pain...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top