Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 10:23:34 PM EDT
last summer I made several bikepacking trips of 400+ miles on my Salsa fargo 2.

Several of us are planning a winter trip for the first weekend of January.  Mountain bikes and fat bikes.  2 days and one night camping  Will be riding 55 to 60 miles a day.  This will be on gravel and paved roads in northeast Indiana so about any kind of weather is possible.  I will be fine down to 0.  much below that may be a little uncomfortable. Hope to have pictures and an AAR in a couple weeks.  I will be using the fargo and bags pictured.  It will have 29x 2.25 studded tires on it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Have fun!!! I have a couple trips I am planning too.  Its Alaska and well...this winter it looks like any weather is possible I live north of Anchorage and can see grass in my yard.  We will be doing all fatbikes.  I will either be riding my current extreme low cost mongoose dolomite or if I have it in time a Rocky Mountain Blizzard.  Working on getting my dedicated bike packing gear together I am going to see if I can get Porcelain Rocket to make me a full integrated frame bag, they currently make a half bag that screws into the frame so there aren't any straps.  Gotta get a seat pack also, I went for the blackburn handlebar roll and gas tank.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If anyone close wants to join us this trip will be leaving from Pumpkinvine Cyclery in Middlebury, IN.  Ride will be between 50 and 60 miles each day with one night camping.  Camping will be in Pokagon State Park. This is a self contained, self supported trip.  You are responsible for everything you need.  Not sure yet if it will be Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday.  Jan 2-3 or 3-4.  That will depend on what others want.  The 2 of us planning it can do either.  Weather this time of the year could be anywhere from the 50's down to 0 so be prepared.  If you would like to join us let me know so I can get you more details.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Route is now worked out.  49.7 miles each way 25% gravel.  Route goes through Pigeon River FWA.  Should be some nice riding and one night camping.  If you are close and want to join us let me know.  We can have up to 6 on a campsite.  We now are at 4 confirmed and a couple more possible.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6650785

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6650916

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Testing out my packing this morning.   5 confirmed going.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to Salsa and checked out that bike. Looks very cool!

How is the ride? Looks like the frame would have a nice flex to it. Never had a carbon fork. Hows that flex?

Do you lower the tire pressure on long stretches of gravel?

I will look for the AAR pictures.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went to Salsa and checked out that bike. Looks very cool!

How is the ride? Looks like the frame would have a nice flex to it. Never had a carbon fork. Hows that flex?

Do you lower the tire pressure on long stretches of gravel?

I will look for the AAR pictures.

Have fun!
View Quote
Both my sets of wheels are mounted tubeless.  Tubeless you can run lower pressure without pinch flats.  I usually run about 24 front and 27 rear.  Lower slippery conditions.   I will run a little higher when carrying a heavy load of gear on smooth surfaces.  The wheels in the picture are the Stans Rapid that came with the bike.  I have Specialized Sworks Renegage 29x1.9 tires on them.  My other set are stans arch with Schwalbe IceSpiker Pro 29x2.25  Weather will decide what I ride on that weekend.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Testing out my packing this morning.   5 confirmed going.

http://keithmillerphotography.com/bike/DSC00949.jpg  
View Quote

nice bike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top