Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 6:37:52 PM EDT
I'm living in Iowa and am thinking about doing the Griswald thing and driving out to Yellowstone.  Will probably hit Mt. Rushmore and the badlands on the way.

Any advice?  My kids are mostly younger but pretty good about getting outdoors and doing stuff.  Light hiking, probably cabin stays (we do plenty of tent camping other times during the year and SWMBO likes real beds and showers).  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Take your bolt cutters
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate people, and the "loop" road is like Disneyland during vacation season. Plan some hikes to get away from the pod people. Yellowstone's back-country is where it's all at.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Book early, like now.  Take cold weather gear.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Stop in the middle of Cody Wy at the Cody Dug-up Gun Museum. its across from the Irma.
Hes got about 700 artifacts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
We are planning on going in Sept.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to get through Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. It's one of my favorite places and the mountains will just take your breath away.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just made a campsite reservation for my family's trip tonight.

I have been before, here are my tips:

1. It can snow any time of year in the park.  Elevation is 6,000ft +.  Bring cold weather gear.
2. Book early.  I showed up on the gate one year a few back about 7pm and not a single site available inside the park.
3. Be a tourist and take your time visiting each feature. The grand loop road takes you past more than enough to keep your family busy.
4.  Get out of the car and walk around each feature, don't rush through.  Put the camera down and experience them.  Maybe try a day-hike: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/dhsampler.htm
5. The drive from Black Hills to East Gate is pretty grueling.  I made it from Sturgis at 6am directly to the bench to watch old Faithful erupt at sunset, fuel stops only in a sporty car.  Stay North through the Bighorn Mountains for some fantastic scenery.
6. Cody, WY to East Gate took my breath away.  The scenery is absolutely magical.

Campsites outside the park are much cheaper: $7 vs $27 http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gallatin/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5138825

Here are some photos

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Minuteman Missile  NHS on the way out or back.

Right by The Badlands

ETA:  The train in Keystone SD is pretty cool.  Can't remember how reasonable $$$.  Kids would love it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Great suggestions.   scoobydoo1234- great pictures too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you'll be going right past Devil's Tower, it is worth a side trip to do the short hike around the tower.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Try to get through Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. It's one of my favorite places and the mountains will just take your breath away.
View Quote

This guy knows what he's talking about. ^^^

Jackson is only about a 15-20 minute drive to Teton National Park.

Once in TNP, you can take a small ferry across Jenny Lake, which drops you off at some trail-heads. From there you can take one of the most breath taking day hikes this country has to offer. Absolutely stunning. Make it what you want....a couple hours, all day....whatever.

Also, in the early morning, if you drive north a few miles outside of Jackson, there are a ton of meadows where you'll routinely see elk and moose wandering around shallow streams. The wildlife out there is just amazing. Grab some breakfast for the road, some coffee and spend a few hours soaking in an epic landscape.

I've done a ton of traveling both in the U.S. and over seas. Teton National Park has very few rivals.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Be sure to visit Wall Drug..........Wall,South Dakota,50 miles East of Rapid City.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Be sure to visit Wall Drug..........Wall,South Dakota,50 miles East of Rapid City.
View Quote

I went there as a kid. Always thought it was a bit of a tourist trap, that said I'd probably go again :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are rumored to have free ice water!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag for interest, we're planning a 30 or 45 day RV trip from ATL to Yellowstone either Sep 2015 or Sep 2016.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess its a little late to the party but my opinion skip yellowstone all together and go to the tetons and glacier NP in montana instead. Last spring I road tripped from California to Maine and stopped at yosemite, glacier, tetons, yellowstone.. among other places. Personally yellowstone was completely a disappointment and I could not wait to get out of there. The place was mobbed with people. The sights were not that great..

I was very impressed with yosemite as well as the redwoods both in the park and upstate Cali. Glacier N.P. was great. Few people. Loved it. Tetons were nice but jackson hole is a yuppie town and did not care for the town much.

YMMV!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Try to plan your trip the first part of June. It is a lot less crowded then and there is still snow on the ground. If you do go during the first part of June, take cold weather gear. If it's your first just stay on the main route and see all of the must sees. If you like the outdoors you'll go back and then you can venture off into the wilderness. We either camp outside the park or get rooms in West Yellowstone. Depending on how much time you have I'd plan on spending a day in Cody WY.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
[URL=]http:/http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_1/676041_Trip_to_Yellowstone____Come_learn_from_my_mistakes____tons_of_Pics____.htmlp

I was there around Aug 1st. It was not to crowded. I would only recommend some backpacking if the family is up to it. Otherwise sick to the loop drive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We are planning on going in Sept.
View Quote

That is my favorite time in YSNP, although risky with regards to weather. 3 years ago my dad and I went the week everything except snow lodge was closing down. Night temps were cold enough to freeze skim ice on the puddles, but morning temps melted the ice on the roads. Could easily have been caught by feet of snow, but didn't. My dad has some friends in w yellowstone and was caught by the observation that on one of our trips we saw like 5 cars between there and the basin. Herds had moved out of the valleys by then, so we had one day of fly fishing the firehole surrounded by bison that moved in on us. That was a little tense waiting and moving to keep distance, but really cool. Contrast that with our July trip with the fam last year and the crowds so deep that we finished most of the main attractions before 10 (about when the tour buses start showing up) then headed to hike or fish away from the parking lots in the afternoon. It's a magical place that every kid should see. 4 days without a single electronic screen on. Just windows down and eyes looking for wildlife (8 year old was beside herself when she spotted a wolf at the treeline in the Hayden valley.... and when crushing her brothers catching brookies in the Virginia cascades).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
True.I had a better time in the Tetons then Yellowstone.Less people,less traffic, more wildlife

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure where you live in Iowa but just remember the drive is pretty boring until about the bad lands. be sure to Have plenty of entertainment for the kids. Lots to do in Rapid City and Mount Rushmore is pretty neat. There is a lot in the black hills. Can't tell you much about Wyoming because I haven't been west of about Gillete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top