Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 9:51:27 AM EDT
I am looking for general opinions on what people think is the most versatile and reliable new semi-auto shotgun currently available for under $2000?  It would be used for all around bird hunting (waterfowl included), rabbit hunting and possible deer hunting with a slug barrel.   Prefer  3 1/2" chamber if that is a big advantage?  What will cycle most loads reliably, be comfortable to shoot and handle and be the most reliable?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]

I'd say Versa Max or Benelli M2. Just don't try to shoot slugs from he VM smooth bore. Get a slug barrel for it.
VM is horrible with slugs from the smooth bore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer my Benelli Super Black Eagle IIs. I have 2 of them.  I hunt out of state a lot so I always carry a back up gun. Although I have never needed it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard good things about the SX3.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I would vote for the Benelli Super Black Eagle II also.  I have had mine for years and haven't had a single issue, shoots the 2 3/4 loads all the way to 1700 fps 3.5" steel loads.  goes BOOM every time.  I prefer inertia driven over gas operated because of how simple it is to keep clean.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if Benelli  makes a non tactical version, but the M3 is the most versatile, with regard to ammo.   Why/how?   It is convertible .     I can switch from  semi to pump and back on the fly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Dupe
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
FNH SLP Mk1 is the bang for the buck semi.  

Very popular with three-gun shooters for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Benelli M2 and several friends run the Super Black Eagle II. They all run like sewing machines and have been great hunting shotguns. With a budget of 2K, you have just about endless options.

I would handle as many different models as you can and find which naturally points the best for you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't waste your money on 3.5 in shells.They typically cause most of the cycling issues in semi's (OAL) and don't pattern worth a shit. Even on geese, most outfitters and professionals that I know roll with 3in. If you think you need more power, step up to a 10ga. I know that I will probably piss off the Benelli fan boys here but you can't go wrong with a Beretta semi particularly the 391 series.  They run like a champ, low maint and soft on the shoulder. There are no gas rings to mess with and have very few moving parts to break on you.They will also cycle anything from 2.75 wall mart low brass to 3in heavy steel. I have three that are primarily used for trap skeet and a LOT of hunting. My oldest 391 has seen well over 20K rounds and has never had a hiccup or part break. You can also get into one for $800 to $900 new or sometimes cheaper on the used market.

No offense to Benelli's but their inertia system recoils just as hard as a damn pump. Gas guns will always be softer on the shoulder and it matters greatly for fast waterfowl follow up shots to me.  They also claim that they run cleaner than gas ( probably do) but the two that I owned became jam-o-matics during waterfowl season. The two that I owned also were very load sensitive when it came to non toxic loads as well. They routinely failed to go back into battery in wet conditions and that just wasn't my guns.  I have taken out several hundred duck and geese hunters out in the last several years and what I saw became a pattern of issues that caused me to sell my Benelli's. Bought the Beretta's and never looked back. Keep in mind that I can be hard on my equipment as they get a lot of use.

In the end, I suggest that you give what you like a try and then go from there before dropping $1K
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't waste your money on 3.5 in shells.They typically cause most of the cycling issues in semi's (OAL) and don't pattern worth a shit. Even on geese, most outfitters and professionals that I know roll with 3in. If you think you need more power, step up to a 10ga. I know that I will probably piss off the Benelli fan boys here but you can't go wrong with a Beretta semi particularly the 391 series.  They run like a champ, low maint and soft on the shoulder. There are no gas rings to mess with and have very few moving parts to break on you.They will also cycle anything from 2.75 wall mart low brass to 3in heavy steel. I have three that are primarily used for trap skeet and a LOT of hunting. My oldest 391 has seen well over 20K rounds and has never had a hiccup or part break. You can also get into one for $800 to $900 new or sometimes cheaper on the used market.

No offense to Benelli's but their inertia system recoils just as hard as a damn pump. Gas guns will always be softer on the shoulder and it matters greatly for fast waterfowl follow up shots to me.  They also claim that they run cleaner than gas ( probably do) but the two that I owned became jam-o-matics during waterfowl season. The two that I owned also were very load sensitive when it came to non toxic loads as well. They routinely failed to go back into battery in wet conditions and that just wasn't my guns.  I have taken out several hundred duck and geese hunters out in the last several years and what I saw became a pattern of issues that caused me to sell my Benelli's. Bought the Beretta's and never looked back. Keep in mind that I can be hard on my equipment as they get a lot of use.

In the end, I suggest that you give what you like a try and then go from there before dropping $1K

View Quote
Have to agree with the Beretta.  Love mine.  Cycle with less problems than any other semi auto I have tried.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why?   It isn't a big deal.    "Opinions vary", and experiences along with taste vary.

While I own tons of nice guns, I also have some very down and dirty super practical guns.  

I have over a half dozen 380's, from twin AMTs, 3 Ruger LCPs, and 2 Kel Tec P3ATs.     One time at the range, I was running some drills with my Kel Tec P3AT.   Thing never jams on me.   A guy watching was curious.   He was certainly no gun guy.    I knew he wanted to try.  So, I set him up on the range to try it out.   He could hardly get it to run.   I could not figure out what all he was doing wrong.   He said it was fun.   I was highly perplexed.   He left, and I tried to make it jam.   I ran it loose, upside down, weak hand, but nothing would jam it.    

There is a gun people call the "grenade".    Generally, that is the nickname for Glocks, specifically those in 40 S&W.    I also own ... 1 G23, 3 G22s, a G35, and 2 G27s.     While I do own a G17, I will never buy another Glock in just 9mm.   My experience is that a 40 S&W Glock will convert to 9mm with just a barrel swap.  No mag swap is needed.   To my surprise they run great with the 40 mags.    While I have not done it, the Glock 40s can supposedly also convert to 357 Sig.   Also, people love the G19.    I don't.   The G19/G23 is the middle size.   The bigger ones are more controllable and have a better sight radius while the smaller ones are more compact.  So, to me, I get the better ones and don't mess with the middle misfit.

I have a G22 with a light/laser combo on it, nigh sites, and a 2.5 trigger on it... for my mother.   Why?  In spite of my inclination to have her try all of my other guns, and so many more I borrowed,  a Gen3 G22 was the best for her.   As it turns out, the best gun for an injured cop is the best gun for my aging and frail mother.      She absolutely loves that thing.  

No, I don't consider any of my 380s or Glocks to be "nice" guns.    They are very down and dirty super practical guns.  

While shopping for a Benelli M4 combat shotgun, I saw a customized and tuned M3.    It has the full length mag.   I had not seen one already set up all the way.   It is very unique, without question.   I grabbed it.    I'll buy a M4 while I am out again  sometime.    They are pretty common.   While they are both $1,500 shotguns or better, neither is really a "prize".        Neither will ever be like my Colts, such as the Python or Gold Cup National Match.  

Speaking of shotguns.   I have several Mossberg 500s.   I have 2 set up in complete packages, each with a rifled barrel with scope, a field barrel with choke tubes, and an 18.5" barrel.   Either can be set up with the rifled barrel while the other wears a field barrel.  Also, since both are completely set up, I can grab either for a trip.      I also have a 500 set up with 18.5" barrel and a folding stock, and it stays that way.   It is a compact 12 gauge for travel.    500s are very inexpensive.   They are nothing about which to brag.   But, they are super simple to maintain to the smallest detail.   They are another of my very down and dirty super practical guns.

I also have a wonderful DPMS AR15.   It has been shot more than any of my other dozen or so ARs, even more than my Colt ARs.   It is just a great, tough, light, and a fun gun.  

I have some serious fighting guns, like my 380s.   (No, my Kahr PM9, $900 gun, does not make a better all round carry gun.)  I have some fun stuff.    I have some pretty things too.  

I mentioned several guns here upon which many would look down.   But, my experience tells me these beat many of my more expensive guns.    That is just the way it is.

My point is that... "Opinions vary", and experiences along with taste vary.    It is good to listen to other people and have an open mind.    It is good to check out the issues people have.    But, ultimately, one has to go with what they "know".

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
3 B's....Beretta, Browning, and Benelli.....matter of choice for you....
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Benelli SBE II or if you can find one in good shape a used SBE and take the left over money and buy a Glock
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got several vintage Browning Auto-5's. Wouldn't trade them for Benenllis or Berettas. I've never paid more than $500 for one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to go put your hands on multiple models from different manufacturers. Shoulder them till you find the one that fits you best.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I've always been a fan of the 1100, but that would only be up to a 3" chamber.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Been shooting my SBEII for 8.5 years.  Runs like a champ every time. Does a 2-3 week pheasant and goose hunt in the Midwest every year and has never failed me.

Dad still shoots his early 90s "HK" stamped SBE.  

4 of us hunt every year on the 2 week trip.  The 4 primary SBEs/SBE IIs chew through 3-4 cases of nitromag 4's and 3-4 cases of steel 2s and BBs with no problem. In 20+ years of hunting trips (2-4 weeks of hunting a year), we've only had one failure that couldn't be fixed with a shot of gun scrubber and a shot of remoil.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#18]
get a Remington 1100 and use the rest of the money to learn how to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm gonna flamed for this...but I recently got an H&R Excell Auto for $330 shipped.

It's nothing fancy, not made in the USA, after I cleaned the grease out it has cycled every load I've tried in it, but not much a round count through it yet, it will be awhile until it sees 1000.

Easy to tear down, and pretty simple design, and if it goes in the drink while I'm hunting it's not such a bad hit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Mossberg 930 JM Pro.....wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy under $1000.00.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've got several vintage Browning Auto-5's. Wouldn't trade them for Benenllis or Berettas. I've never paid more than $500 for one.
View Quote

Yep go to gunshow or what have you, and find a nice Auto 5.. I have a half dozen now, all hand me downs from family. Not a one of them has ever given myself, my uncles, and great uncles, or my father a single reason to own anything else. You don't need new, and you don't need to spend $2K.. Unless you need it to say "Looky what I got". Function and reliability tops that for me. Auto 5 is a classic, proven design. Anyone who would look down on you for pulling one out of the bag on a hunt, is no one to hunt with anyways..
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#22]
My SBE II runs everything like a champ. Low-brass 8 shot, to 3.5 BBB.
Sold my M2 to buy the SBE. It's nice having the capability for 3.5 for geese.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#23]
At this point Im just piling on, but I am more than happy with my  Super Black Eagle II
Great gun and shoots everything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Love my Beretta AL391, cant say I dont want a Benelli too though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I was in the same boat, bought my SX3 for 899$ and never looked back , three seasons of duck hunting and small game hunting from light 23/4 up too 2 shot 3'' I have not had a single hiccup
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a beautiful Benelli and very much prefer to hunt with my old Belgian Browning Auto 5s.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had my Beretta 390 (predecessor to the 391) for almost 2 decades now. Many, many thousands of rounds through it and still chugging. I've killed deer, pheasants, pests, and numerous other game and non-game animals along with many thousand of clay pigeons (used to shoot competitively), it is hands-down the most reliable semi-auto I've ever seen and I wish I had the chance to buy another at the price I paid for it...I'd buy 10 of them...

It cycles perfect on everything from old-school 2 1/2 inch shells up to magnum level 3" deer slugs, it patterns BEAUTIFULLY on every factory load I've tried and it is my "go-to testing gun" for hand-loads. If the Beretta won't pattern well with it there is no other shotgun that I've tried that will pattern good so it's my immediate "check" for handloads. If the Beretta doesn't pattern it then I eliminate that load; if the Beretta does pattern well I move on to testing in the other shotguns...

Only bad thing I have to say about Beretta is that their customer service sucks ass... The only time I EVER ordered an accessory from Beretta USA their computer system (back in the early 2000's) caused a mass shipping error, where-in everybody that ordered 1 thing, actually received another. In talking to them on the phone they stated it was a computer error and they would take care of it. They immediately shipped out a replacement, were supposed to send a shipping label to return the first item and then promptly charged my card for the replacement. WTF? I called back, they said that was their standard SOP and they would credit the card for the first purchase once it was received in return. They never sent the return shipping label they promised so I called them and asked what the deal was. They said to mail it on my dime and include the shipping receipt and the would credit that as well. So I mailed it back on my dime. After many weeks I called and asked about the refund, they claimed they had never received it and refused to credit the card back. I refuted the charges with my credit card but they took the side of the merchant because the merchant claimed they hadn't received the item. Totally screwed my out of $100+.... I don't disagree with the fact that they make a fine shotgun, but there are other great choices as well, decide wisely based upon what type of customer service you wish to have....

To be fair, they may have changed their practices; this happened quite a while ago and customer service wasn't quite as friendly then; credit card disputes weren't as buyer-friendly either...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#28]
SX2 or SX3 Winchester.  They handle very well and are comfortable to shoot.  Also for the price you could buy 2 of the SX3 models or probably 3 of the SX2 models used and have good reliable shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I was always fond of the Franchi 48 models in 28g.. Not common or talked about, but light and handy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top