Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2014 7:38:01 PM EDT
Looking for a good day pack for trekin around wonder what some people think of hazard 4 products, specifily the switchback sling pack. Seen add in off grid magazine and have been toying idea since.
hazard 4 pack
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed link.

Pricey.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Hazard 4 makes good stuff but you'll want a 2 strap backpack for anything other than a commute to the office or a trip to the gas station. If you're carrying water, snacks, ammo, and other woodsy edc stuff it will get way too heavy with a sling pack.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I need to agree with Spydermonkey.  Sling packs are okay when size and weight are minimal.  Once you start getting above 10 pounds or bulky, they lose their versatility...same with should bags.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Sling packs tend to move around too much if you're doing anything other than walking upright i.e. scrambling around.  A buddy swears by his Maxpedition though so there are folks who like them for hiking.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Noatac & and Kodiak.
I like them fior EDC, but I don't
carry the far off the road.

I carry camera's & EDC stuff
in mine.

John

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm prob gonna get honor point zot system
I like that I can do 3 day pack for hunting, day pack for hiking, and sling pack for work and edc
http://shop.honorpointusa.com/collections/zot-zip-off-technology/products/zot-evolution-bag
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You can save quite a bit of money and weight by going with something a bit more hiker oriented.  I have a Deuter lite for weekends which has been impervious to thorn vines.  You may lose durability but I don't think you'll notice it.  Pick a reputable brand based on comfort (that is to say, try it in person) and you will very likely be happy for several years.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/backpacks/daypacks/
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the small 5.11 Rush Moab every day and I really like it. It's big enough to hold what I need and small enough that I can't carry too much crap, but it has PALS straps I case I need to add a little extra storage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can save quite a bit of money and weight by going with something a bit more hiker oriented.  I have a Deuter lite for weekends which has been impervious to thorn vines.  You may lose durability but I don't think you'll notice it.  Pick a reputable brand based on comfort (that is to say, try it in person) and you will very likely be happy for several years.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/backpacks/daypacks/
View Quote

Yeah, for actually hiking a non-"tactical" pack is probably a better choice. Plus for any sort of weight a traditional pack harness will be more comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Given the price, I would go with an Urban Zippy.
Doesn't look 'tactical', simpler system, better access & layout, bulletproof construction, expandable and add-on, made in USA.
Still pricey but your already close so may as well get a true top shelf pack.
I use a Zippy for all my day hikes as well as overnighters and short multi-day.

http://store.kifaru.net/urban-zippy-1500-ci2458-liters-p150.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va--aBpek-4
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hazard 4 makes good stuff but you'll want a 2 strap backpack for anything other than a commute to the office or a trip to the gas station. If you're carrying water, snacks, ammo, and other woodsy edc stuff it will get way too heavy with a sling pack.
View Quote

I rode 6 miles on my Suzuki DR650 carrying a Eagle Industries messenger bag...never again.
I've tried hiking with an SO Tech slingbag...not so much.

Camelbak HAWG for me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Sling bags only work for small/light loads.  If you are just taking some basic gear, sure they might work, but most people carrying camping/survival gear in a dedicated bag are going to have more stuff than is ideal for a one-shoulder bag.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Thought about the single strap but seems kind of a gimmick. Two straps get uncomfortable as it is, one...probably twice as fast.

Watch London Bridge Trading. They have regular sales with stuff selling for $60 that normally lists for $200+. I bought one of their 3 day packs a while back and even though I think $200+ is overpriced, for the sale price it is top quality, well made and durable.

No good sales over there right  now, shows 25% off, puts you in the same price range that you are looking at right now. I'd still wait for one of their better sales.

If you want a bargain price, check LA Police gear. Their 3 day packs get good reviews and I think they run around $30
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Maxpetition single strap pack.  Bought it as a tactical diaper bag when the kid was born.  It is uncomfortable once you put some weight in it.  I hated carrying it around the zoo and a couple of other places I took it where i loaded it up with supplies for a day.

Get a good 2 strap backpack instead.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Mystery Ranch ASAP would be about the same size and be able to comfortably carry more than youd want to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top