Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 11:04:38 AM EDT
I'm going on a week long backpacking / hog hunting trip in January, and I need some suggestions on how to store my rifle at night.  I'll hang my food bag over a branch and hang my pack from my hammock suspension.  I don't think I'll have space in the hammock for my rifle, and I'm afraid of it snagging and tearing the fabric.  Anyone done this before?  

Hang it from the tree?  Suspend it over me on a ridgeline?  Rig a "possum pouch, and hang it under me?

In case it helps, I'll be using a 16" AR15 and probably sleeping in a single person Yukon Outfitters bug net hammock.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep mine in the sleeping bag.....
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep mine in the sleeping bag.....
View Quote

It doesn't get uncomfortable?  Plenty of room to snuggle up with it?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Place backpack on the ground near the hammock, lean the gun on the pack. That, or hang the sling on the hang rope(I forget the correct terminology, it's late) itself. I haven't done it myself, but I'd imagine a prusik knot + a carabiner to attach to the sling should work.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
haven't got it, but I would like to buy one. If you do, please give a review

gear sling underhammock
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I just took a gun sock (I use Sack ups) to put the rifle in and kept it in the hammock with me after unloading the chamber. It is the same type of sock I use in my safe. I was worried about snagging a hole in the hammock too.

The gear sling Tveddy linked to looks interesting though.

http://sackups.com/products/firearms.php
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I'll give the gear sling a try - that also gives me a better place to put my pack and boots.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
In all seriousness, are you worried about it getting stolen while you sleep or something?    I'm just curious as I just lean mine against the tree I've got the hammock tied to or most often, lay it on the ground under me.  It's not like there's much extra room in a hammock to add something with hard edges.  I've done a lot of hammock camping since the eighties* and I can honestly say I don't recall having ever slept with my rifle; in a tent sure beside me, but not a hammock.  I have dropped my handgun in the side pocket of the newer style hammocks though.    

*In all fairness, those damn net hammocks we used to use would have gotten themselves all tangled around anything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
get some Gear ties and attach to ridge line.. Or... Lay It on the ground, its not going to melt, or sneak away.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine either goes on the ground under me or against one of the trees.

I actually woke up once and popped a squirrel while still lounging.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a hammock camper but I sleep with mine.  Combination of old habit from the Marines when the DIs would steal them if they had the chance and fuck with you later and wanting to have it close at hand in case of bears.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#13]
You probably have a para line above you with a tarp.... A couple of nylon loops hanging from the line and you can hang your rifle right above you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not a hammock camper but I sleep with mine.  Combination of old habit from the Marines snip

View Quote
Same, even in hammocks in the field.

I've slept with M-16's and 240's.

I guess it's just doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#15]
My hammock doesn't use a ridge line.  I think the ENO gear sling might be my best bet.  I might make a lighter knockoff of it.

Quoted:
Combination of old habit from the Marines when the DIs would steal them if they had the chance and fuck with you later and wanting to have it close at hand in case of bears.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Combination of old habit from the Marines when the DIs would steal them if they had the chance and fuck with you later and wanting to have it close at hand in case of bears.

This.  I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving a rifle lying on the ground.  It's not logical, but there it is.  

Quoted:
In all seriousness, are you worried about it getting stolen while you sleep or something?  

I'll be in a big hunting camp during the last night, so theft is a concern.  I'm more worried about blowing rain, mud, etc.  I'll stay dry and warm in almost any weather, but the ground under my tarp can get wet and muddy in a windy storm.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Another option, Jeff's Gear Hammock/Pack Cover, is like the gear sling mentioned above, but it can also be used as a pack cover. Plus, Jacks 'R' Better makes their products in the US with US-sourced materials and is owned by a couple of retired US Army officers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another option, Jeff's Gear Hammock/Pack Cover, is like the gear sling mentioned above, but it can also be used as a pack cover. Plus, Jacks 'R' Better makes their products in the US with US-sourced materials and is owned by a couple of retired US Army officers.
View Quote

+1 on JRB - they're a good company.  

I had some leftover REI dividend + a coupon code + free shipping, so I ordered an ENO gear sling from REI for $16 shipped.  I'll post some pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, if I was worried about theft I'd either put it in the hammock with me or suspend it above me I guess.  I tend to string my hammock low and for the last couple of years I've been using one of the ENO tarps that provides pretty good coverage of the hammock and the ground under it.  When I used to use a tarp I tied tails (maybe 4" long strips of cloth or even just paracord) on the support line before it went under the tarp so rain on the rope would hit the tail and run down that instead of going under the tarp.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, if I was worried about theft I'd either put it in the hammock with me or suspend it above me I guess.  I tend to string my hammock low and for the last couple of years I've been using one of the ENO tarps that provides pretty good coverage of the hammock and the ground under it.  When I used to use a tarp I tied tails (maybe 4" long strips of cloth or even just paracord) on the support line before it went under the tarp so rain on the rope would hit the tail and run down that instead of going under the tarp.
View Quote

Yeah, drip lines.  I have an ENO profly that I usually pitch pretty low, and the ground under me still got soaked in a hard rain/wind storm a few weeks ago.  
As for theft: I'm worried about casual, "walk by and grab it off the ground" theft.  If it's tucked into a gear sling with all my other crap, with me sleeping 6" above it, I think it'll be safe.  
Gear sling should solve both problems.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's always a good idea to shelter your rifle from the elements.  That's why the designer of the original Jungle Hammock, Cresson Kearney, had such a fit when the design was later "Dumbed-Down", and a lot of features were deleted on account of cost.  The book was "Jungle Snafus, And How To Fix Them".  Kearney was probably a genius, IMHO.  Should be required reading, along with Dunlap's book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cresson_Kearny

While your rifle might not melt, or sneak away, it might be subjected to snow intrusion, or freezing rain, or any number of other things which might cause it to jam--or worse.  Roy Dunlap in his book "Ordnance Went Up Front" tells of insects invading the barrels of firearms, and causing barrel replacements.  http://www.amazon.com/Ordnance-Went-Front-Roy-Dunlap/dp/1884849091

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
get some Gear ties and attach to ridge line.. Or... Lay It on the ground, its not going to melt, or sneak away.

It's always a good idea to shelter your rifle from the elements.  That's why the designer of the original Jungle Hammock, Cresson Kearney, had such a fit when the design was later "Dumbed-Down", and a lot of features were deleted on account of cost.  The book was "Jungle Snafus, And How To Fix Them".  Kearney was probably a genius, IMHO.  Should be required reading, along with Dunlap's book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cresson_Kearny

While your rifle might not melt, or sneak away, it might be subjected to snow intrusion, or freezing rain, or any number of other things which might cause it to jam--or worse.  Roy Dunlap in his book "Ordnance Went Up Front" tells of insects invading the barrels of firearms, and causing barrel replacements.  http://www.amazon.com/Ordnance-Went-Front-Roy-Dunlap/dp/1884849091

I thought it was a given that I meant lay it on the ground, under your tarp...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#21]
When I backpack with my hammock I usually have a tarp or poncho as my overhead cover. I would personally hang the rifle from my rope that provides the "ridge" for my tarp. Above your head and out of sight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I have also wondered about this subject
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
it may be wise to bring an extra plastic trash bag and maybe use that to wrap your gun in case of rain (or bugs invading the barrel apparently), I usually bring atleast two hefty bags in my backpack when hunting or hiking or camping regardless, can be used for water collection, makeshift emergency poncho, dwarf kidnapping bag (if you poke a few air holes)...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Backyard test of the eno gear sling.  This looks like the solution for me:

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#25]
That is pretty slick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top