Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2014 11:23:16 AM EDT
Hi Guys!
I've got a couple of the small 700 watt, Harbor Freight generator but want to get a higher output unit.

I KNOW that what I want to power dictates the size output I will need, but lets say, for "all around use," (powering table saw and/or compressor, temporary power outages (some emergency lighting, convenience receptacles, hit the refrigerator and freezoccasionallyall to keep things from spoiling).

I would like to keep it somewhat "portable," by one man who isn't a "Mr, Atlas!"

I'm looking for initialdependabilitydibilty, servicemaintenancentaince, cost of operation, features and other related consideration/factors.

I"m on a limited income and have to have the best bang for the buck!

I know there is many offeNorthernrom Nothern Tool, Harbor Freight and Tractor supply but am open to any source.

What do you think are my base needs/wants, listed above going to be covered by a 3,000 to 5,000 watt output unit?

I"m on a limited income and have to have the best bang for the buck!

Thank you for your time, experience and input, it's greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Help Guys!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the wattage of the table saw and compressor?

if not sure look at the data plate get amps and voltage to figure out watts.

figure 2x's the wattage for starting, going to run both at the same time?

I have different wattage depending on my needs.

I have a 10000 watt to run the house twice a day. Hot water, fridge and freezer.Then I switch over to the 900 watt harbor freight rest of the time, till dark.Then I run off deep cycle batteries and inverter at night.

Plus I have a 5000 watt and another 900 watt for back ups.

what is your budget? That would help someone to recommend one that would fit into your budget.

I payed $1000 shipped for the 10000 watt from amazon.

$600 for the 5000 watt from home depot.

$40 and $65 for the 900 watt from Harbor Freight.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]

You can get a pretty good estimate of how much you may need here

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-wattage-estimation-guide
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thank you Sir! I checked and my locat TS had it in stock. Getting it and a wheel kit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the Honda EU2000 is a great.  If you need more juice get the 3000.  If you still need more, get two 2000's and a parallel kit.  If you still meed more, look into a used light tower with Kubota diesel engine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I almost always buy my generators on Craigslist. If you keep a sharp eye, you can find some great generators for ~$200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top