BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just wanted to make the statement that the small 4x4 suvs and trucks can do the majority of the same task as a UTV for a fraction of the price with a few extra benefits.  
View Quote

"Majority" is a very subjective statement. That is highly dependent on what the user wants to do.

I also am not trying to bash, I value the input you added to the thread.

That being said, one of your main "benefits" was that it can be registered and driven on the road.

In some areas that is a moot point (actually might be a disadvantage) because the UTV's can be driven on the road with or without registering. My dad drives his on the road with no registration because it fits under a farm equipment exemption in our area. What does that mean for him? He doesn't have to pay for plates/registration, and the insurance doesn't have to be a vehicular insurance policy, he is covered under the farm's umbrella policy.

The cost savings on a yearly basis for insurance & registration savings is HUGE.

And a tracker, jeep, etc would completely fail at doing what he is doing with his Ranger off the road, in the fields; yeah, I said it, COMPLETELY FAIL.

This is another example of different strokes for different folks...

I guess I misspoke on my "always win out" statement. I didn't mean they would win out in all situations. But the majority of off-road situations they will win. It's just hard to beat the light weight of a SxS. You can always add more power, bigger tires, etc to counteract the higher weight of your SUV, but that all costs money and coincidentally adds even more weight... that is what makes it very hard for an SUV to overcome the capability of a SxS.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a Rhino 660.  [These didn't have sufficient cooling and if you run them hard, the cylinder head would go oval and your oil would go away.  Mine did that after a long ride.  I caught it when fueling up and sold it quickly after.  If you lose all the oil, the motor grenades and it is pretty costly.  Mine had a modified sheave and a modified ignition for higher redline.  It is a very common thing with them.  I don't know if it plagues the injected 700.  

I have an electric EZ-go now.  I use it for stealth cruising the hood.
View Quote

this concerns me.  i have a rhino i run it up in pinetop, az, alot in the summer. some in thatcher, az during the summer. Wintertime it runs alot here in mesa, and yes i run the thing hard.

im guessing ur long ride was in the summer?  If so how hot was it?

Thx!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top