Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 10:22:22 PM EDT
Nobody sells any 'long Johns' worth a damn here in Florida, so I gotta order some online and I don't wanna get raped on the price or buy any complete garbage. Any suggestions for online vendors? I'm just guessing there might be better places than LL Bean, North Face, REI Co-op and the like?

Obviously I'm not gonna be experiencing 50 below in these parts (BTDT, though!) but I still find a way to freeze my ass off for a few days every winter because I'm totally unprepared for it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually buy from Duluth Trading. I've switched to fleece lined pants instead of long john bottoms.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I buy Redram merino wool long handles from Sierra Trading Post when they are on sale.Great stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
there are cheaper choices price wise for sure, but I swear by under armour coldgear. I'm an outside tech for the phone comp here in Colorado. I usually won't throw on a coat till it's in the 20's, and some not even then. Usually I pull them out nov/dec and put them away in mar. That being said, If you're only going to wear them a couple times basic thermals from anywhere will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Duofold.. Warmest long johns I've ever worn.. Even on the mountains in colorado elk hunti... Wait what!!  Florida!!  You cold in Florida!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I usually buy from Duluth Trading. I've switched to fleece lined pants instead of long john bottoms.    
View Quote

Oh man. Fleece lined pants are the truth. Those things are like heaven. I still have long johns when camping in Nov/Dec(I hate sleeping in jeans).

OP, look for some Marino wool baselayer stuff. Any of the stores you listed are GTG.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Silk works well and is thin. When working outdoors in SC I wore a union suit I think I got it at Sears, but they have them on-line.

Since I moved to SE Alabama I rarely wear a coat. Last year when hunting it was in the 20s and I wore Sorel Insulated pants.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I second the Under Armor Cold gear as well as Duluth trading. both are phenomenal. Back in the day I wore walmart long johns and they kept you warm with enough layers. The nice thing about under armour is that it will dry quickly if you sweat in it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
PA boy here. 30 in PA isn't cold, even when we visit I can go out in light jackets, etc.

Down here when it is 40 and 85% humidity, it chills me to the bone.

OP, I have always picked mine up when I went back for a visit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, and Duofold.  Different weights for different activities.  They all work well enough.  I've shopped from REI, LL Bean and Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I like SmartWool base layers. I keep an eye on SteepAndCheap.com for deals, I've picked up a few pairs around $40-50/ea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the same problem OP, needed to stay warm during travel to the upper Midwest during -0F winter.

I bought some "long under wear" for the trip, but also brought a couple of some flannel & fleece pajama pants that were just a little too small (highwaters), I preferred wearing the pajama pants over the "long under wear". I wore a pair of under-armor shorts on the coldest day (-12F) along with reg boxers which helped out.

A hat, gloves and a pair of wool sockets (over reg cotton ones) go a long way to keep you warm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I actually use plain old cotton ones very often in the fall and spring. Just enough to keep the chill off.

For actual winter (not what you will experience down there probably) I do the red union suit thing a lot. Merino wool is nice too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like SmartWool base layers. I keep an eye on SteepAndCheap.com for deals, I've picked up a few pairs around $40-50/ea.
View Quote

+1 for steepandcheap.com (the backcountry.com outlet site), SAC and then sierratradingpost.com are the first places I check when looking for gear. I just picked up a Stoic merino 200 weight bottom and 150 weight top (both thinner than T-shirt material) from SAC for $42 each and couldn't be more satisfied with it. Right now I'm testing out a few pieces of gear to write some reviews on trailspace.com, and this Stoic gear is excellent for wear inside a sleeping bag. Stoic makes my absolute favorite cold weather base layers, both merino, synthetic, and merino/synthetic blend, I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
What works for one person you might not like though, sort of like socks.

My friend loves poly pro, I can't stand it. It feels un-natural to me and drives me crazy. I like synthetic socks though, and he doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Ah, good point.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Smartwool, no question.  Again, though, people react differently.

The Underarmor might be more durable, as it is all synthetic.  But, it and my skin don't get along.  I like the stuff I lined above because there is just enough natural fibers in it to avoid that.

I personally believe Underarmor's entire line is overpriced shit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, and Duofold.  Different weights for different activities.  They all work well enough.  I've shopped from REI, LL Bean and Amazon.
View Quote

Same here; I've got some North Face stuff too (older stuff from before the trendy metro stuff).
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Merino wool is the right answer.

I reccomend minus 33 or Terramar
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Underarmor might be more durable, as it is all synthetic.  But, it and my skin don't get along.  I like the stuff I lined above because there is just enough natural fibers in it to avoid that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Personally I like Under Armor better. This is in large part due to the fact that it is synthetic and its slick. This keeps the ole legs from rubbing and chafing. I use UA on hikes, trail runs. Just got back from a 3 day backpacking trip in KY and I slept in a hammock. First night I didn't wear the UA and was cold. Second night I wore it and was plenty warm. It is over priced though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Synthetics dry faster, so they're the better choice if you're likely to get wet.

Wool is more resistant to flame than synthetics, so it's a better choice if you're going to be around open flames.

Beyond that, it's really a matter of personal preference.  Any kind of wool above my neck gives me a rash.

When I'm out hunting in the cold, I'm wearing smartwool socks, and underarmor coldgear base layers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What works for one person you might not like though, sort of like socks.

My friend loves poly pro, I can't stand it. It feels un-natural to me and drives me crazy. I like synthetic socks though, and he doesn't.
View Quote

True that what works for one person might not work for another.
However I truly love lightweight polypro because it is super thin but very warm.
I buy mine at Campmor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Well ... I went with the "Smartwool Micro 150" ones from Midway. I've owned a pair of Smartwool socks for for a couple years, and I love them. I also like doing business with Midway; they've sold me a box or two of ammo down through the years.

As was mentioned above, these things are REALLY thin, even thinner than I expected. But it's not cold here right now, so I can't say how warm they may or may not be. And I got lucky guessing my size, since there is no guide to be found. I'm 5' 10, 190 lbs with a 32 inch waist, and after getting some clues from the reviews I bought an XL top and medium bottoms. Perfect, nailed it.

I appreciate all the input and suggestions! I'll bump the thread when I can give y'all a range report on them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top