Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 5:37:13 AM EDT
So, I'm looking for a bag with similar performance to the patrol bag from the MSS.  Something that will fit me (5'11", 220 lbs and like bags a bit loose), keep me comfortable by itself down to about 45-50, and and can be layered with a woobie, bivy, warm clothes etc., to go considerably colder.  I would also like it to be similarly durable, non-bright color, and at least have a little bit of water resistance on the exterior.

Now heres the rub:  I want it to weigh less and, most importantly, compress more than the MSS, which even the patrol bag by itself only smashes down to about soccer ball sized.  Costing less than $200 would be nice too.

So, the things I'm looking at:
Kifaru woobie:  Not a sleeping bag, and I'm not completely convinced by a $150 blanket.

Snugpak bags:  Never held any of them, but I've heard a few good things.  No clue which bag I actually need.

Or really anything else.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Snugpak jungle bag in the tan color. They also come in green and black. It feels a lot like a poncho liner, about the same temp rating, compresses pretty small. Zipper across the bottom, and zipper up the side. Has a mesh bug net over the face. Large enough to slip another bag inside if you want.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you opposed to down?

You can get the Kelty Cosmic for cheap during sales (still not terrible at retail) and it comes in 0, 20, and 40 degrees.

I have a 20 I picked up for about $120, performs great for that price and packs down much smaller than the patrol bag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not opposed to anything, but I don't really have any clue about the pros and cons of down vs synthetic.  Down is more susceptible to moisture, correct?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not opposed to anything, but I don't really have any clue about the pros and cons of down vs synthetic.  Down is more susceptible to moisture, correct?
View Quote

Not more susceptible, just less effective in it.

I only use it for the cold part of shoulder season and the winter since it is too warm in the summer for me.

The advantages are definitely weight and space savings though. I have used my down underquilt in the humid summer though and had no issues with it, just hang it to dry when you get home.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Snugpak Merlin 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top