Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 7:37:25 PM EDT
My girlfriend and I are getting some more strenuous hiking and looking at buying some hiking sticks.
One friend suggested the cam-lock over the twist-lock length adjustment saying the twist type don't
last long.
Also, there are two main style of grips/handles....straight and "L" shaped. I played around
with a few sets in the outdoor store but haven't decided which is better. I do like the shock or spring
feature.

Give my your thoughts and opinions on what you prefer and the goods/ bads of whats out there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple brief thoughts...

Cork handles are nicer in hot weather (breathes better in a way).

Consider buying one set to start.  My wife and I have distilled down to one pair.  She only uses it for river crossings and I go between one and two for my weekend pack. Even with this combination we are usually carrying one on a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely camlock over twist, the twist don't tighten as much and I have had them slip.  Black diamond and leki are the two brands that come to mind.  I don't use the shock poles because if I am on a mountain I do t want any give I want a solid hold right there.  My poles are straight and work fine for me they can also be used as the center pole in my shelter not so with a bent handled pole.  I have foam grips the cork would be nice but I don't find it necessary.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used a pair of Black Diamond Synclines for snowshoeing since 2011, and have nothing bad to say about them. Being 2 section they may not collapse short enough for your liking if you ever carry them on your pack. I've pounded those things into ice as hard as I could - like Gandalf jabbing his staff into the stone bridge and shouting "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" - to check for safety and the FlickLocks have never slipped a millimeter. They run about $70.

Cork is definitely nicer than plastic handles in the summer but you don't really grip the handles, the wrist straps bear your weight and your fingers loosely curl around the handle with no tension applied.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not use a stick as a walking stick?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I threw my back out once in AK and hobbled 11 miles leaning on a hemlock branch, so I know it can be done.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Bubba Stik

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they're heavier than trekking poles, can't be collapsed for carry on your pack when you don't need them, don't have any grip on rock, and don't have snow baskets for the winter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because they're heavier than trekking poles, can't be collapsed for carry on your pack when you don't need them, don't have any grip on rock, and don't have snow baskets for the winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drink water do some more pushups and when your done with the stick throw it back in the woods
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Drink water do some more pushups and when your done with the stick throw it back in the woods
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are hiking somewhere that falling could very well mean death, I'd avoid using a random stick.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Leki.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a set of older black diamond three sectiosection twist lock poles along with newer rei can lock poles.

The cam lock poles sure are more convenient.  Biggest issue with the twist lock is un-twisting them - they can be difficult.  Never had them break loose.

My twist lock poles can be attached to each other to be used a avalanche probe as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Komperdell, Leki, Black Diamond. Cam lock, no twist lock. Carbide tips, rubber tips, snow baskets.

Sierra Trading Post has great deals if you sign up for the Deal Flyer email. I wish I still lived down the street from them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 sets. One is a pair of Leki super makalu Ive had for almost 15 yrs. The other I just bought from REI on sale for $69 they have cam lock, cork handle, carbide tips, and are made in Austria (by Komperdell maybe?). My Leki set was like $130 over a decade ago So dont dismiss the house brand.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
What ever brand you get definitely go with cam locks.  I use leki cork lites.  I don't like the anti shock
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use this 48" octagonal cross section curly maple staff when hiking. The bottom has a lag bolt screwed into it so the protruding head wraps onto rocks and stuff.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#17]
The twist-lock 'failure' issue is BS.

If they are loosening it's simply because you're not tightening them enough, not because they are bad/weak. They have been a reliable proven system for over 20 years, I have several old sets that are family/friend loaners that have never failed, my current personal set of Leki's were bought in the 90's and have thousands of miles on them.

On the other hand, cam locks are in fact more complicated and prone to break, the reason they are being pushed now is because they are far cheaper to manufacture, especially since the big push towards carbon-fiber poles where a machined insert is needed to make twist locks work. I've tried a few in recent years and have had cam lock issues, they were a fad in the 90's and went away due to the same issues they have today.

Stay away from the spring/suspension poles, they are complicated, more expensive, and actually defeat the purpose of a good pole...stability.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Black Diamond carbon cork. come with flick locks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The twist-lock 'failure' issue is BS.

If they are loosening it's simply because you're not tightening them enough, not because they are bad/weak. They have been a reliable proven system for over 20 years, I have several old sets that are family/friend loaners that have never failed, my current personal set of Leki's were bought in the 90's and have thousands of miles on them.

On the other hand, cam locks are in fact more complicated and prone to break, the reason they are being pushed now is because they are far cheaper to manufacture, especially since the big push towards carbon-fiber poles where a machined insert is needed to make twist locks work. I've tried a few in recent years and have had cam lock issues, they were a fad in the 90's and went away due to the same issues they have today.

Stay away from the spring/suspension poles, they are complicated, more expensive, and actually defeat the purpose of a good pole...stability.
View Quote

I have to agree.  I have sets from Leki, Exped and Black Diamond.  I've had no issues with twist locks.  I do have a pair of Leki cam locks, but I prefer the twist locks.  If you do spend a lot of time on the trail backpacking, poles are indispensable, especially on rougher trails or numerous river crossings.  If used properly, trekking poles not only provide additional balance and stability but take weight and impact off the legs and back; I read some research said trekking poles would transfer about 15% of your pack weight to your arms and poles away from your legs and back.  

Quality poles are a must if you really plan to use them hard.  I recommend aluminum even though I have both aluminum and carbon fiber Leki poles (also the carbon fiber poles don't have as long of a warranty). My son busted one of his carbon poles, not sure how but he's a 15-year old teenager capable of breaking anything...Leki sent a replacement, but aluminum will hold up better even with abuse.  I was climbing under a fallen tree and rolled over on one of my Exped aluminum poles, it bent but with a little patience I was able to straighten it back.  

As to handles, mine are very slightly curved and they work as advertised and are comfortable for multiple miles and rough terrain.  It helps that trekking poles are often used for my shelter be it my Tarptent or used to make my hammock fly into an awning.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the good info!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

No joke!

Want an adjustment? move your hand higher or lower.
It broke? Go find another one
Weve had some last decades.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you are hiking somewhere that falling could very well mean death, I'd avoid using a random stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The biggest advantage to me are the grips and straps. You should not have to grip with a properly adjusted strap on a hiking stick. The strap goes under the hand, not over, your fingertips are all you need to control the stick.

The strap does all the work.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#24]
A good set of lightweight trekking poles
- increase your ascent rates
- decrease wear and tear on your knees on descents
- help prevent serious ankle sprains
- enable you to carry heavier loads further and faster

The shock springs are great, but remember to take the time to clean out the internals from time to time to avoid one pole developing grittiness or squeaking.  Symmetrical squeaking: tolerable.  Asymmetrical squeaking: maddening.

As mentioned, the straps can really aid in load distribution if used well.

Ankle sprains in the backcountry are no joke.  Sprain an ankle and you could be there a while.  I once bivi'd for about a week to recover from a sprain.  Got to finish reading my book, though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top