Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
Just got the boy into cub scouts.
apparently there is a camp out next month.
trying to find a good size tent that doesn't have horrible reviews.

mostly the deal breakers are when I read either no cs, broken poles, or torn tents while assembling or due to wind.
oh, and horrible leaking.

checking amazon, cabela's, walmart and basspro, I have found 7, that might work.
Cabela's Hybrid Cabin Tent
Coleman Signature Prairie Breeze 9 Tent
Wenzel Vacation Lodge 13x9-Feet Seven-Person Medium Cabin Tent
Coleman Elite Montana 8 Person Tent with Hinged Door
coleman Evanston 8 Person Tent
Ozark Trail 20' x 10' Hybrid Instant Cabin Tent
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Valley-Instant-9-Person-Cabin/dp/B00KO1U1HM/ref=sr_1_51?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1411050127&sr=1-51&keywords=tent

anyone recommend or hate one of these?

any other recommendations?
other places to look?

seems like they are mostly doing car camping. drive up unload and put your car back in the parking area type stuff.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We have the Cabela's Hybrid Cabin Tent - overall I like it.  Its well-made, easy enough to set up, and hasn't leaked one bit for us.  The only dislike I have is that the doors are kind of odd in how they zip - nice for getting beds in/out, but a little odd for normal usage.  It breathes really, really well.  Only downside IMO is the weight - its a heavy SOB, and is tricky to set up solo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
We have this one.

Like it well enough, just fine if you want to drive in with it and not carry it far. plenty of room.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If the tent will see heavy and repeated use I wouldn't recommend any of those...

You will want to stick with the well known outdoor gear brands. They cost a bit more and don't often make tents that will fit a mattress; but then that's not camping!

Stay with Kelty, North Face, Big Agnes, etc...  Check an outdoor store like REI and speak to the sales guys.  These tents will last a LONG time and are repaired under warranty for common things like zipper problems.

I have a North Face Rock22 (2man tent) that I've used heavily for 10 years and sent the rain fly back once for a new zipper.  North Face covered shipping & repairs took about a week.

I'd also suggest the smallest tent you can manage; a 3 person for just you & your boy should be good.  This will give you more versatility down the road.  Meaning it will fit more places and if it's just you or your boy using it there's no waste of space.  Plus it's easier for one person to setup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
the_supreme_g33k- thanks, how long have you used it for? any issues with the poles breaking?

Solace22- is that one pretty easy to set up? any issues?

blwngazkit- that would be a different tent, when it is just the boy and me.
this is for the whole family. and I guess cub scouts is way different then I remember boy scouts being. so it is a whole family "camp out" type thing.
this is a pre-set scout camp with bathrooms and showers and a/c dinning hall.
so a 3 year old, 9 year old and 7 year old all have to have enough room to get along.
I only expect to use this maybe 2 times or 3 times a year for another 2 or 3 years, till he goes into scouts.
then I will be picking up a light weight hiking tent for those types of trips.
though honestly I only remember one or 2 where we actually hiked in on scout trips. the rest were drive in and put up some big army surplus thing.
so it may never come to that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on whether you are talking backpacking or truck camping.

Backpacking you are better going with something other than the tent that can fit 2 queen air mattresses - That's flat out not a good idea.  2x 3-4 person tents would be a better idea then.  

Now truck camping (or horse camping!) is an entirely different deal. Wall tents rock for larger multi-season tents, but are obviously not backpackable.  For truck camping, the cam-o-cot bunk beds also really reduce footprint (and are a nice place to store gear if you don't even need the bed space).  They are heavy as hell (really not understating this) but invaluable to
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have this one.

Like it well enough, just fine if you want to drive in with it and not carry it far. plenty of room.
View Quote

Same here.  Setup is easy and it has weathered some heavy rain with only a little leaking around the door at the zipper.  Plenty of room for four of us with 2 queen mattresses.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks.

recent reviews seem to give the stay away vibe from coleman tents in general.
how long ago did you guys get yours?

broken zippers, bad customer service for parts. as recent as last month.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Multiple small tents will serve you better. The big family tents dont stand up to much weather.

Scouts, even cub scouts, should have their own space anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
We have the Prairie Breeze and love it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
For car camping I have been looking at the Black wolf turbo tent.   It's a little costly, that why I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  It looks to be supper fast and easy to set up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried to look that up, but they don't seem to sell them here in the US.
do you have a link where you were looking?

they barely sleep in their rooms by themselves. it would be a waste of money right now to set them up in their own tent.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

For THAT tent look at the Eureka Timberline, they are practically a standby in Scouting and we always had very good luck with them.

Eureka makes some nice car camping tents too.  Maybe a Eureka Copper Canyon?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here.  Setup is easy and it has weathered some heavy rain with only a little leaking around the door at the zipper.  Plenty of room for four of us with 2 queen mattresses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have this one.

went to dicks and cabela's tonight.
they had this one set up.
the wife didn't like it.
zippers were too hard to use on the doors without getting them caught up, and the whole top was mesh, so you have to have the rain fly on for privacy.

thanks though. saw a few other one's to check.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#14]
We have a North Face Trailhead 8--nominal 8 person capacity, but right spacious & comfortable for the 5 of us.

It has a 9' x 17' footprint, & is about 6'6" interior height (I'm 6'4" & can stand up comfortably).

We've had it for about 5 years, & had no problems with it.  Never had it out in a downpour, though--only light rain.  
I don't expect there would be any problems in bad weather, though.  We've never even had to guy it out fully.

Regards,

David
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]

thanks, but it looks like they don't make that one anymore.

Quoted:
We have a North Face Trailhead 8--nominal 8 person capacity, but right spacious & comfortable for the 5 of us.

It has a 9' x 17' footprint, & is about 6'6" interior height (I'm 6'4" & can stand up comfortably).

We've had it for about 5 years, & had no problems with it.  Never had it out in a downpour, though--only light rain.  
I don't expect there would be any problems in bad weather, though.  We've never even had to guy it out fully.

Regards,

David
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out the Eureka factory outlet store.

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/default.asp

I bought my son a big family tent from them, birthday present. It has a double stitched seam or some such thing, making it a factory second.

He loves it, they take it to the lake and have all the comforts of home.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For THAT tent look at the Eureka Timberline, they are practically a standby in Scouting and we always had very good luck with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the Copper Canyon 5 during the REI laborday sale.  I have only used it once so can't give a thorough review but so far really like it.  Straight walls mean I can stand everywhere inside of it, stayed dry in some light rain,  really easy to set up.  The 12 and 8 also have a divider wall so you can get some privacy.  

What ever tent you buy two upgrades I like to make to car camping tents is buying a good old fashion plastic tarp from hardware store as a ground cloth and some of the big plastic stakes instead of the bent wire ones most come with.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Check out the Eureka factory outlet store.

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/default.asp

I bought my son a big family tent from them, birthday present. It has a double stitched seam or some such thing, making it a factory second.

He loves it, they take it to the lake and have all the comforts of home.

View Quote

You can get great deals from the outlet.  If you live near it you can get some REALLY good deals in the early spring when they blow out the returns and 2nds from the previous year. It is well worth going to if you are local and in the market for a tent, sleeping bag, or backpack.  They used to auction stuff off that weekend too but I don't know if they still do that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
looking at a couple of other one's now.
http://www.amazon.com/10-Person-Vacation-Camping-Hunting-Outdoor/dp/B00KABTBAO/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N9FXH93Z1J27HQ7QYTB

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Ozark%20trail%2014%20person&cat_id=0

and it brings up a question.
if they have tent pads set up, has anyone had an issue where their tent was too big to fit?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

if they have tent pads set up, has anyone had an issue where their tent was too big to fit?
View Quote

I'm not sure what a tent pad is but supposedly if a tent is too big some campgrounds may charge you for 2 sites.  I've never run into that issue but when I was looking at the Eureka Condo one of the salesmen mentioned some buyers had that issue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Andrewh, we bought one very similar to the one you have linked in your OP. I can't think of the brand right now but if it's of the same pole design it's a good buy (again, mine is a diff brand, not sure about the one linked, sorry).

We use the wall in the middle so that my wife and I can have the back room and the kids get the front room with the doors. It's big enough for two queen mattresses but we only use full size to make sure there's enough room for gear and no touching the sides when it rains.

As others have said, if it's just going to be you and your son on the Scouts outings, I'd buy a 3 or 4 man tent that's lighter and more packable. I haven't read any reviews lately since I'm not in the market, but 3-4 years ago when we were, Coleman's had some pretty bad QC issues according to many comments we were reading. Maybe they've changed that by now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]
coleman still has some pretty crappy reviews.
looking at a swiss gear one now too.

till he hits boy scouts, I think it will be family outtings, not just the two of us.

so the bigger the tent the better.
wife has some odd requirments now, so it limits us to a few different one's.
we ordered up the montana 8 elite for now, just to get a look at it honestly.
no other way to see one. Walmart is pretty liberal about their returns so, I will set it up in the back yard just to see if it is worth it.
the few we saw setup (coleman's) sucked pretty bad. the reviews were even scarier. snapped poles and torn tents.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  There are several state parks that do not have tent pads large enough to accommodate our tent's 9' x 17' footprint.
Fortunately, the parks website lists tent pad sizes in most cases.  I make it a point to scout ahead when near potential sites.

[A "tent pad" is a level, smooth site meant designed to accommodate pitching a tent.  Some I've seen were almost like raised bed
gardens--bordered by railroad ties or other pressure-treated lumber, & filled in with a "soft" earth mixture.  Some are just leveled
spots.  One state park in GA had just re-done theirs...& filled it with sharp-edged crushed limestone gravel.  Won't be going back
there!]

David

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I finally found it. I've been out of town so I couldn't just walk out to the garage and look.
I'm also on my iPod and amazon.com is jacked up on here so I couldn't verify the link but myeife looked it up on google images and I'm pretty sure it's the one we have that we love.

Columbia Cougar Flats
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B002Q3LICS?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

we've had it for about 4 years and have used it a couple times each year, In wind, rain and shine. The sides and two top ends have sturdy metal poles and the top uses 4 tension rods that are also beefier.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]
well, it looks like columbia no longer makes that tent.

as an update, the coleman leaked pretty badly, on just dew.
woke up to water dripping on us from the rain fly through the netting at the top.
pretty cold too. the rain fly didn't really help to hold in any of the heat.

on the plus side, the light worked well and the bottom was dry.
the door worked ok, but it kept trying to hold the door open instead of closing.

probably going to return it and start looking again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
well, it looks like columbia no longer makes that tent.

as an update, the coleman leaked pretty badly, on just dew.
woke up to water dripping on us from the rain fly through the netting at the top.
pretty cold too. the rain fly didn't really help to hold in any of the heat.

on the plus side, the light worked well and the bottom was dry.
the door worked ok, but it kept trying to hold the door open instead of closing.

probably going to return it and start looking again.
View Quote

All those big cheap tents are going to leak. God help you if the wind blows.

The Eureka timberline was a good suggestion. They're very good for keeping the weather out if pitched correctly. Not roomy but durable and inexpensive for a real tent. The Timberline-6 should be big enough.

ETA- I'll stand by my recommendation for multiple small tents. They just work better and scouts should have their own space. You and the wife might want your own space too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#27]
We have had a Montana Big Sky for 6 years and it has held up well but it is getting worn. It has been in torrential down pours and worked well. The has a tub that keep the water out. All the seams are taped and never a leak. In the winter we camped at campgrounds and used a single ceramic heater to keep the tent warm. I would hang poncho liners to help keep the sleeping areas warm. The tent was so large we could keep all of our gear on on side and sleep on the mattress on the other side.

I used it during my son's Cub Scout trips and it looked like a 2 br condo compared to the other tents Relatively easy to erect as well.
Linky

We bought our's from Campmor during a sale.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In the winter we camped at campgrounds and used a single ceramic heater to keep the tent warm. I would hang poncho liners to help keep the sleeping areas warm. The tent was so large we could keep all of our gear on on side and sleep on the mattress on the other side.

I used it during my son's Cub Scout trips and
View Quote

The heater inside a tent is not allowed in Scouting.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I was referring to when we camped at public campgrounds
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the winter we camped at campgrounds and used a single ceramic heater to keep the tent warm. I would hang poncho liners to help keep the sleeping areas warm. The tent was so large we could keep all of our gear on on side and sleep on the mattress on the other side.

Really?

When  I was in scouts... 1980s, we made heaters from coffee cans and toilet paper rolls for our tents.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I am going back over all the tents I looked at before, but am leaving out any of the coleman's.
it appears their quality has gone down hill pretty badly in the last couple of years.

and based on my experience with them recently, they are an example of the get what you pay for unfortunatly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Really?

When  I was in scouts... 1980s, we made heaters from coffee cans and toilet paper rolls for our tents.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

TRG

BSA is all about avoiding lawsuits these days.

Even if that wasn't the case this is a pretty good rule. Tents, sleeping gear and outdoor clothing are all mostly synthetic these days. Synthetic burns easier and hotter than natural fibers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
looking at a couple of other one's now.
http://www.amazon.com/10-Person-Vacation-Camping-Hunting-Outdoor/dp/B00KABTBAO/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N9FXH93Z1J27HQ7QYTB

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Ozark%20trail%2014%20person&cat_id=0

View Quote

The wife and I have this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-8-Person-2-Room-Instant-Cabin-Tent/34109043

Quick and easy to set up, plenty of room. It works for us.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Cabelas Alaskan guide 8-person tent....   Rock solid in high wind and rain.  A bit pricey but well worth it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
so we went looking at 3 of the bigger named ones.
the kingdom 8, the alaskan 8 and westwind 8.

the kingdom 8 was an interesting puzzle on how to assemble. decided against it because this version even meshed the privacy area. and too much mesh all over the top.

the westwind vs alaska, seemed to be a toss up till we put up both tents.
the thinner material of the westwind makes it feel way cheaper than the alaskan.
the extra 2 poles in the alaskan make a huge difference in how the tent feels.
plus the vestibule won't stand without stakes and a guide wire. and it is too short.

so we now have an alaskan 8 and will try it out next month sometime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top