Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 12:55:56 AM EDT
I'm 6' and 290 lbs.  I need something that I can fit in and keep warm for November deer hunting in the NM mountains.  I will be sleeping in the back of my pickup (it has a toper on it) on top of a foam mattress.

I've been looking at the Browning oversized sleeping bag, but I wanted to check if anyone has experience in using oversized sleeping bags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the guys I hunt with occasionally is taller than you but probably the same weight.  He uses one of the Cabela's bags designed for big guys and seems to like it.  I'm not sure which model it is (I know it's rectangular) or what it's rated to but I know he's had it for at least a few years.

Personally, if bag weight is not a concern i.e. truck camping, I prefer a rectangular bag so I can move around, put clothes and water bottles in the foot, etc.  Despite being under six feet I always buy the long version of whatever bag so I can at least put a water bottle in the foot.

ETA, Not sure what type of foam mattress you have but a closed cell foam is warmer than an open cell and both are warmer than an air mattress.  A good pad can make a huge world of difference in your comfort.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I know when the wife and I camp, we'll buy two walmart cheapo bags and just zip them together. Instant big assed sleeping bag! Easier to stay warm with another person in the bag with you.

And, no, OP...I will not snuggle go camping with you.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine uses a Big Agnes, he is larger and it fits him well.

I think they come in big guy sizes, plus they are warm as hell (but heavy)
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the guys I hunt with occasionally is taller than you but probably the same weight.  He uses one of the Cabela's bags designed for big guys and seems to like it.  I'm not sure which model it is (I know it's rectangular) or what it's rated to but I know he's had it for at least a few years.

Personally, if bag weight is not a concern i.e. truck camping, I prefer a rectangular bag so I can move around, put clothes and water bottles in the foot, etc.  Despite being under six feet I always buy the long version of whatever bag so I can at least put a water bottle in the foot.

ETA, Not sure what type of foam mattress you have but a closed cell foam is warmer than an open cell and both are warmer than an air mattress.  A good pad can make a huge world of difference in your comfort.
View Quote

I'm gonna elaborate a bit on that. I recommend getting an air mattress to go under your pad, you still get the warmth of the closed cell pad, but the comfort of the air mattress.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a grizzly two person sleeping bag when I am car camping. It is large, bulky, and very warm.

I also use a 2-3 inch memory foam mattress topper and that is comfy enough for me.

I wouldn't want to hike with either of these two any further than a jaunt to a cabin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to post this, Hog Park here and couldn't be happier, can be found around the net on sale usually.  
Big Agnes Park Line
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 6' 4", 260lbs and have a "Magnum" sized bag from Gander Mountain.  Plenty of room for me.  Cotton duck outside, flannel inside- sorta like a cozy Carhartt :)  

Used it this past weekend with a little morning frost outside the tent- I was cozy as kitten inside.  I also use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide foam-mattress in the XL-tall size.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used the Cabelas Deluxe Camo Hunter 0 degree bag for the last 2 yrs for Colorado elk hunts. We camp at 10K' for the 2nd rifle season. Plenty of snow & low temps up there, but I stay very comfortable, even down into single digit temps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Cabelas 44 magnum bag.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

They can be reasonable in weight, depending on the model. My 15° encampment bag is about 3.5 lbs. Not lightest, but not too bad for big guys. Only thing to remember about Big Agnes is most(all?) of the bags don't have insulation on the bottom, as you supposed to use it with a pad. Not a big deal if you have something to sleep on. If you lay it directly on the ground? You may get cold.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, if you are going to be doing this sort of thing often, I would recommend that you go to a few garage sales and find a full size mattress. It will fit in the back of the pickup bed if you put in braces and plywood to lay it on top of the wheel wells. then you use the underneath for storage. In college I slept on a rig like this while my buddy drove and vise a versa for several road trips.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
In the back of your pickup, why stick to a traditional sleeping bag?  Just throw some old blankets and a comforter in the back, or google backpacking quilts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm big and claustrophobic. When we go in our pop-up, I just use a double bag. It's like bed at home. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top