Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 12:25:04 AM EDT
So I'm looking for advice on a new pack for hiking and camping I'm use to the Alice packs and other military style packs love my ILBE Rucksack when I was in the Marines. I have been looking also at the Pack Rabbit frames they look nice also. Anyway looking for any advice. Also wife is looking for a pack also so if you know any good packs for a 5'2 female please tell me. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say head to an REI ... but they don't have any in ND. Scheel's should have some good options.

I just got an Osprey Aether 60 and I'm looking forward to taking it out for an inaugural trip soon.

Fit is so damn critical with packs that you really do need to try them on, preferably with a fair load in them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:03:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Osprey and Gregory make awesome packs, REI makes great stuff too and they come in at a lower price point. For years I loved external frame packs, but once I went internal I could never go back. For you wife many companies make certain models specifically for women, just use their sizing chart to find one best for her. How long and what kind of trips would the packs be used on?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]
DRAGO       no frames but nice bag none the less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Osprey and Gregory make awesome packs, REI makes great stuff too and they come in at a lower price point. For years I loved external frame packs, but once I went internal I could never go back. For you wife many companies make certain models specifically for women, just use their sizing chart to find one best for her. How long and what kind of trips would the packs be used on?
View Quote

We are starting off on just weekend trips right now and looking to do longer trips later. If I get the job in Del Rio Texas I'm sure very chance we get we will be going camping and hiking. We also talked about doing kayak trips on the river but right now mostly hiking and 2 or 3 day trips. She is going up to Scheel's today to check out some of the packs I'm thinking about sticking with the ILBE Rucksack that I had in the Marines. Not sure yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
depending on how much space you need kelty redwing has some great options.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
do yourself a favor and go with an internal frame pack

mountain hard wear makes amazing products..... only 3 pounds!!!

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/direttissima-35-backpack-OU5953.html?dwvar_OU5953_variationColor=011&cgid=equipment-packs-backpacking#start=3

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack about a month ago.  It is perfect for  a couple of nights camping (could definitely hold much more).  Bomb proof construction and craftsmanship.   Spendy? Yes.  Worth it? absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been using one of these for years. Dead simple. Has held up well: Inner lining has been frayed from contents, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.  Even with the inner lining frayed, it's decently waterproof. Seams and fabric are still ~100% after 5 years. It's moderately comfortable. Not as nice as the $200 packs, but not terrible either.
Found it at army surplus.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=1&cscid=908
Was $50 on sale for 45L in ballistic nylon. Had it 5 years, expect at least another 5 from it. One of my favorite purchases.
You can add on modularly. They've got velcro strips on the back and top, two ALICE-style "belt" strips on the top, plus you can attach caribiners to some plastic hooks along the back for lighter hang-ons. Not for those who want something with 50 different special compartments, though. But then you can add MOLLE/ALICE/etc gear to this pack with ease, though it might not look so pretty.
They're not the lightest, but not as heavy as cotton either, so I felt it worth the extra few ounces to save so much and never have to worry about snagging it on a stick or rock. This stuff doesn't need ripstop, it just doesn't rip in the first place.
They've got a 25L version for $35 I just bought for the missus. Guess we know who's carrying the lion's share of weight, eh?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top