Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 3:51:17 AM EDT
Is there anything out there that will secure an area from Mosquitoes?
Not looking for poisons, more just something that repells them from an area.
Right now I can't even be out on the porch due to how many and how aggressive they are, don't need a large area, just 10 foot square or so.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say your best bet would be the citranela (SP) bucket candles or tiki torches.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
How big an area?  Mosquito magnets and thermacells use the same type of technique to attract them and trap them (C02 and warmth).   Both are affective.  Both require time to clear an area.

No poison.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in mosquito paradise.  Actually I reside on one of our State Parks which is an offshore island and the Everglades is not that far away. Since it is a botanical park spraying can not be done.  I have a linky below that will help you in your mission.  Our local mosquito control people are probably the best in the country at this and you may pick up some pointers such as using fish and Bti.

FKMCD

I have tried most of the personal mosquito sprays and lotions and have found for me only two work.  I consider the rest basting sauce.  One is Repel Lemon Eucalyptus which is a natural deet free and the other is Smidge  which unfortunately is not available stateside as it works and would put the others to shame.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't had much luck with cintrenella candles. Mosquito coils work pretty good. A box of coils is a couple of bucks and one coil will burn for a few hours. You can usually find them in sporting goods stores, walmart or even the drug store.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy was on doomsday preppers, he is kind of a kook. Havent tried this but if it works like he shows should make an impact if run every dawn/dusk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2kbghz85I
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Off Powerpad is the best.  It has the same ingredient as Thermacell.  They both work great on the Tiger Mosquito.  In Minnesota last year, their state birds were landing on the Thermacell.  I don't know what you have in AZ.  Sometimes you may need 2-3 for an area, but light them up and the mosquitoes disappear.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=382835-446-635524&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4745273&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

If you don't like DEET, use a spray with Picaridin.  It repels all mosquitoes.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, right now we are using a repellent (Off) and it works pretty well.
I was thinking more about when we have company over and don't want to spray them down.
Here in AZ we only have this problem for about a month during our rainy season, thankfully it's not all summer!
The big thing is the neighbors that don't dump out or take care of standing water in their yards.

I'll try a few if not all of your suggestions till I find something that works around here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking more about when we have company over and don't want to spray them down.
Here in AZ we only have this problem for about a month during our rainy season, thankfully it's not all summer!
The big thing is the neighbors that don't dump out or take care of standing water in their yards.

I'll try a few if not all of your suggestions till I find something that works around here.
View Quote

They are awful this year since we had such a mild winter last year.

In fact I can't remember the last time I couldn't sit outside my house this time of year and getting bit.

This year I'm getting ate up?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I always think of AZ as a state with low bug issues.    This year has been great as far as bugs here in Oregon.  

Reducing habit has  a major impact on bugs.  Dump all trays under pots, add fish to all ornamental ponds and water feed stations.  Here, feeder goldfish are cheaper than gambozia for ponds and water features.

Quoted:

In fact I can't remember the last time I couldn't sit outside my house this time of year and getting bit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Mosquito magnet plus the repellant bracelets works very well, even in northern Manitoba where it seems you run through summer short a pint of blood.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Fans,  Mosquitoes can not fly faster than 1.5 miles per hour.  2 or 3 fans can keep 10 square foot area free of them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I spoke to a guy past weekend who said his local archery club uses a backpack style sprayer hooked up to a diffuser that sprays out Permethrin.

He said they spray a barrier about 10 ft into the woods around where they shoot and the mosquitoes stay away from the barrier.  Barring heavy rains an application lasts about 1 week.

I can't remember the price...it wasn't cheap but said it was so effective 2 other clubs are also using a similar system.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a propane powered fogger. It works slick as snot. late in the evening & early in the am with little/no wind works the best
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Repel gear smart is the brand with picaridin. Same stuff as Smidge.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
It is horrible comparatively right now.

I am having some remodeling done and an addition put on my house right now, so some of my doors are open all day long.  I have them in my house!  I just been carrying a citronella candle from room to room.  I did see one still around after a while.  But my fiance and I have been lit up by the buggers in the last week.  I got hit 4-5 times at work today as well.

I am about to pull my mosquito head net out of my backpacking gear lol.  I aint gonna wear deet unless I have too
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am having some remodeling done and an addition put on my house right now, so some of my doors are open all day long.  I have them in my house!  I just been carrying a citronella candle from room to room.  I did see one still around after a while.  But my fiance and I have been lit up by the buggers in the last week.  I got hit 4-5 times at work today as well.

I am about to pull my mosquito head net out of my backpacking gear lol.  I aint gonna wear deet unless I have too
View Quote

Where did you find the candles? The shelves are empty at every store I check.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lowes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top