Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2014 9:18:19 AM EDT
Which do you prefer and why for a backpacking saw?

The saws I am looking at between the two flavors are..

Laplander

Wyoming saw

I will probably end up getting and using both but I'd like to hear users thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Sven folding bow saw. Because it's very small when packed and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Wyoming saw is awesome.  Very well made.  Bone blade is great if you're a hunter.  Wood blade is deep-tooth for quick cutting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used several saws over the years while hunting big game. The bahco folding saw is my favorite for its light weight and high quality. Awesome little saw. It's in the pack now ready for elk season. Btw, I don't carry one at all for backpacking. A pocket knife or Mora knife is all I will take. Ounces equal pounds. Pounds equal pain.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not go with a folding bow saw? They look easy to make, or you can buy one too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I use one of the folding saws in my hunting pack.  Used for brushing in my ground blind.  For camping I use a bow saw and there is one kept in the truck box in the bed of the truck.

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had one of these for more than a decade...

http://sawvivor.com/

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're interested in a folding saw, there are some Youtube videos which compare the 10 inch Corona from Lowes to the Bahco.  The Corona gets pretty good reviews.  About $20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVNFRFROV8
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're interested in a folding saw, there are some Youtube videos which compare the 10 inch Corona from Lowes to the Bahco.  The Corona gets pretty good reviews.  About $20.

View Quote

Thanks for the link.

After looking at the corona website I'm kinda drawn to the 7" QuickSaw.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wyoming saw is awesome.  Very well made.  Bone blade is great if you're a hunter.  Wood blade is deep-tooth for quick cutting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. I'm probably going to get one just to keep behind the truck seat if nothing else.

Quoted:
I have used several saws over the years while hunting big game. The bahco folding saw is my favorite for its light weight and high quality. Awesome little saw. It's in the pack now ready for elk season. Btw, I don't carry one at all for backpacking. A pocket knife or Mora knife is all I will take. Ounces equal pounds. Pounds equal pain.

I agree with the weight thing, but I am a winter camping fire building son of a gun and I'm thinking that 6 ounces is probably going to be good weight for quickly processing the 4" dia dead wood That's so readily available in the areas I hang my hammock
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the wood you want to process.  I have a Sven saw and Bahco.  The Bahco is a good saw for smaller pieces.  If you want to cut something with a bigger diameter than your fist, I'd go for something like the Sven.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Sven saw FTW
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Bob Dustrude folding saw. 30" aluminum.  Lightweight and tough as nuts.  You can find replacement blades at the hardware store.

http://fourdog.com/bobs-quick-buck-saw-24/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPSsRZOxx4

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Silky Bigboy a few months ago.

Honestly I will never take another bow saw in with me again.

The thing is a beast, super light, deploys instantly and cuts like a chainsaw compared to any other saw I have used.

The very best part is that there is no limit to wood diameter (within reason) or cut depth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

I have a Corona, I liked it, then I tried a Silky....I am now a Silky Fanboy, the build quality and blade quality is just amazing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bob Dustrude folding saw. 30" aluminum.  Lightweight and tough as nuts.  You can find replacement blades at the hardware store.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks! I had seen these on four dogs website but have not seen the video.

Quoted:

The thing is a beast, super light, deploys instantly and cuts like a chainsaw compared to any other saw I have used.

The very best part is that there is no limit to wood diameter (within reason) or cut depth.

Do you have the curved or straight blade?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bigboy is the curved blade with XL teeth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
^^
Any reason you chose the curved over straight or just personal preferences?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Get both
Upgrade Innovations collapsing Camp Saw

With wood, metal and bone blades.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
^^
Any reason you chose the curved over straight or just personal preferences?

Thanks
View Quote

I wanted the largest teeth available, and the XL teeth comes with a curved blade.

Helps a bit with the down pressure too.

It's a great saw, go buy one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's kind of interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both

I have one, it collapses down very small, is light weight, durable and works well.
You don't have to take all three blades on every trip.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Lots of good saws out there. I made a few for presents a few years ago. The Bacho Laplander is actually amazing. Super easy to pack, small and with the teflon-type blade coating, it really rips through wood with ease. Still, those DIY bucksaws are great too. I've done more than I can count, but for packing a small saw, the Bahco Laplander is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How do you rate it as regards long-term usability?  Will it stand up. under proper care, long-term?  Not talking about the blades; talking about the basic structure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both

I have one, it collapses down very small, is light weight, durable and works well.
You don't have to take all three blades on every trip.

How do you rate it as regards long-term usability?  Will it stand up. under proper care, long-term?  Not talking about the blades; talking about the basic structure.

It's all anodized aluminum tubing.
The wall thickness is about 3/32, thicker than the Sven saw.
It's well machined.
I'd say it's pretty heavy duty.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OK, sounds good so far.  How much have you used it?  How much sawing?  Any wear and tear sufficient to mention?
View Quote

That's why I tried to caveat it "I'd say".. It would hold up.
I've only used it on a handful of trips.  I haven't tried to destroy it, so I can't state the durability as fact.

You keep the turnbuckle tight, the blade stays taut and the frame stays rigid.
I haven't used the metal or bone blades yet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a bahco and it is a great lightweight little saw. Perfect for a hunting pack.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#30]
For a quick easy to carry solid bit of kit then the Bacho Laplander gets my vote...  No comparison for quick cuts around the camp site or on the trail.  

Longer term basecamp stuff where you will be processing more wood a bow saw will be a better choice.

Processing firewood too heat your home?  Use a chainsaw!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For a quick easy to carry solid bit of kit then the Bacho Laplander gets my vote...  No comparison for quick cuts around the camp site or on the trail.  

Longer term basecamp stuff where you will be processing more wood a bow saw will be a better choice.

Processing firewood too heat your home?  Use a chainsaw!  
View Quote

This is my philosophy as well.  I really like the Bahco o Silky saws for compact carry where I'm planning to do more bushcraft-type tasks such as building shelter, making a chair or processing small pieces of wood for a small wood stove like an Emberlit or Bushbuddy.  For small chores, I actually prefer the folding saw over a knife as you get cleaner cuts, better maneuverability in tight spaces and just more efficient in some instances.

If we do a more static type camp where we plan on building a larger fire for cooking, a bow saw is a much better option.  I use either a Sawvivor, Sven or a fixed-blade 14" Corona saw which is actually very effective on larger  rounds.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#32]
if i am car camping for a week, I bring my 3 foot bow saw

The sven is a really nice tool for backbacking, but you don't want to process 40 feet of maple with it.

I have a corona folder and its really a limber, the unsupported blade is no fun for 6 inch log cuts.

but it still beats swinging an axe to make firewood
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#33]
http://www.fastbucksaw.com

In forest travel, a thirty-inch, so called Swede saw is essential. It will produce wood of proper length for the tent stove, and do it much more easily and efficiently than an ax, although an ax will also have to be carried for splitting wood, cutting tent poles, and other uses. A spare blade for the saw is important. Two types of Swedish bow saws are on the market, the best being one with a cantilever action for holding and tightening the blade without a tool. With the cantilever type, if both blades are inserted into the bow saw when not in use, one upside down, the blades will act as reciprocal guards during transportation. Otherwise, the saw teeth of a single blade should be protected with a folded aluminum or brass strip, tied on with a cord or thong. Collapsible saws are also available, if extreme compactness is desired. However, they do not have the rigidity of the Swedish bow saws.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#34]
What brand bows saw would you recommend for Basecamp? Harbor freights website showed some really heavy duty ones.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What brand bows saw would you recommend for Basecamp? Harbor freights website showed some really heavy duty ones.
View Quote

Chainsaw.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top