Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 3:30:48 AM EDT
Been in need of some decent binoculars. Primary for deer hunting but will probably be used at the range as well. Not really quite sure what to look for.

Any suggestions on whice ones to look at and where to buy?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x42 for deer and general use. About a hundred bucks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The stiener safari series is a good value as is the the higher end nikons. Think $150 or less. Tough to beat without spending a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have some Nikon monarch 10x42 or 8x42 that are really good. Paid about $300 for them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Redfield 10x42 are fantastic and can be had for under $200.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x42 for deer and general use. About a hundred bucks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Second.

I have pair of 10x Bushnells and also own a pair of 7x50 Swarovski.

I won't say they're equal by any means but if I was going to buy again, I wouldn't bother with the Swarovskis.

Got the Bushnells as part of some range finder package a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have some Nikon monarch 10x42 or 8x42 that are really good. Paid about $300 for them.
View Quote

These are what I have as well.

Bass Pro has a sale on them now, I think.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If the slightly larger porro prism style is acceptable to you, the Nikon Action Extreme series are pretty good at around $100.

It's easier to get better optical performance out of a porro prism, so they do well in price to performance ratio.  Different form factor on the outside though.

As a plus for hunting, the wider spaced objective lenses of a roof prism give you more depth perception.

ETA: fixed
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
you really can't go wrong with nikon and its what I want when I get off my ass and finially get a good set of binoc's

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input. I'll look into all these models. Thinking I'd like to stay under $200.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the slightly larger roof prism style is acceptable to you, the Nikon Action Extreme series are pretty good at around $100.

It's easier to get better optical performance out of a roof prism, so they do well in price to performance ratio.  Different form factor on the outside though.

As a plus for hunting, the wider spaced objective lenses of a roof prism give you more depth perception.
View Quote

Um ..... the ones with the widely spaced objectives are Porro Prism.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the slightly larger roof porro prism style is acceptable to you, the Nikon Action Extreme series are pretty good at around $100.

It's easier to get better optical performance out of a roof porro prism, so they do well in price to performance ratio.  Different form factor on the outside though.

Sorry about that, fingers outran the brain apparently.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Goto CameralandNY.com
Click on the demo/sale tab.
Go to Minox
Select BF 8x42 part # 62034
Call and see if these are in stock.  This is a wicked deal for binocs which will do everything you need.  They are great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
A little bit more but the Nikon ATB's used to be a good buy for optics for the price.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Vortex Diamondback 10x42! I have a few different optics from Vortex and they are hard to beat for the money. Their warranty is hard to beat as well...
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Vortex Diamondback 10x42! I have a few different optics from Vortex and they are hard to beat for the money. Their warranty is hard to beat as well...
View Quote

I have a pair of Vortex 8x42s that are pretty decent and I like the size for backpacking and hiking when I don't  want to carry my larger and heavier Leupolds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Whomever first said, "You get what you pay for" might very well have been speaking about optics like binoculars. Whomever said "Money can't buy happiness" never spent it on high end optics. Here in the land of high vantage points and wide open spaces, it can be easy to spot and evaluate deer, etc., at extreme ranges with powerful, high quality optics. Last whitetail hunt, I pointed my hunting compadres to a Coues whitetail doe, at about two miles distant, observable through Swarovski 10x42 glasses, and easily identified as a doe through a Leica spotting scope. You may not need this level of optical performance, but, it's awesome, and worth every penny when needed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a pair of 8x42 diamondbacks I use for hunting and general use while hiking/camping/outdoors.  I'm very pleased with the performance for the price.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD can be had for right around $200.  Porro prisms, BAK-4, nitrogen purged, water proof, and water repellant coated lenses packed into a rubber armored magnesium body.

A load of nice features for a good price.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp

Dan's supposedly has Steiner 8X30s for $200.  I don't know if they are in stock or it is an old page, they don't seem to update that often.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have carried 10x42 Bushnells for a couple hunts.  Next time will be compact and lightweight, which will probably require a bit more cash to get good glass. Maybe a range finder, depending on weight.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top