Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 8:25:53 PM EDT
I have a Coleman Destiny popup camper that was made in 1993.  We noticed it had a roof leak last year.  The only possible "openings" are 4 bolts through the roof where a bike rake is mounted and the rubber stripped seam running down the middle of the roof.  I caulked around the bolts and sprayed a rubber sealant down the seam.  With the rain this year it is still leaking and water has somehow gotten under the sealant on the seam and is bubbling up. Does anyone have ideas?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
sometimes the canvas will fail to the point where the waterproofing does not work, especially at stress points. you cannot always see it.

about all you can really do is cut out the bad spots and sew in some new canvas. not really a DIY type job since you need a serious sewing machine to do it.

it might even be time to consider replacing all the canvas.

ETA: I realized you are probably talking about a leak in the part of the roof that is solid and not canvas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya.  Its the hard shell top.  So far the canvas is good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a small leak in our pop up.  I inspected and found a small spot that had corroded through where a mount bold for the roof top bike rack is mounted.

I've been thinking about using that Flex Seal stuff (from the commercials) to see if it seals it up.

If it works good, I was going to seal all the roof seams with it to stop any future leaks.

I figure hell, if they can put it on a screen door in a boat, it should stop a leak on a trailer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top