Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 2:00:33 PM EDT
Next weekend I will be going up to Gilbert MN to go Off roading.  I have an 05 TJ wrangler and some decent AT tires.  What should I bring for a successful off road experience?

Linky to Parky
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
1. a friend who has been, preferably in another Jeep. (most important)
2. recovery gear, straps winches, and a jack.
lunch snacks and water. lots of water.
3. don't go past your knowledge / comfort and have fun!!!

(I am a 97 TJ owner and avid wheeler.)
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Also TP!  

When you get stuck, stop and think about it before you rush to extract. Make sure you think about what could go wrong before you start pulling. I have seen many straps break and the force on them is deadly. Water sucks and I avoid it when possible (along with mud been there done that and bought the alternators)! I sold my last jeep last year (my 5th) and I miss it like crazy but luckily I am still part of the offroading club.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are really serious about it, bring another vehicle with a car hauler.

Beer.

No matter what you damage or how expensive the part is that breaks, beer will make it all better.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Leave the beer at the camp.
2way radio, cause looking over your shoulder all day sucks.
Flashlights and tools, Working by headlights blows too
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Have fun & just be careful OP
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the straps and a hi lift jack, but my better half killed my winch plans (she made me buy a gun instead )

Beer is a must, but I agree that it will stay in camp while out wheeling.  I have a pretty decent socket set, cresent hammer, vocabulary of swear words and WD40.  It will be solo but I will see if there will be others that will let me tag along on the trails.  Thanks for the tips all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
A crescent hammer? You work in the oilfield don't you?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Take the doors off prior if you can, will help with visability.
Personally I avoid mud holes, not worth the hassle.
cb radio is awesome in groups "okay guys turn around the trail is blocked" etc
Have fun and be careful.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, I work in the nuclear industry.  Be afraid.

I picked that up back in the day.  It just stuck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 24 in crescent that when someone can't find a hammer they always want to grab and use as one. Pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a 24 in crescent that when someone can't find a hammer they always want to grab and use as one. Pisses me off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting pissed off is what generally turns it into a hammer.

I have both a hammer and a mallet for beating porpoises the crescent is just handy for frustrations. (misspelling is done for comedic effect, grammer nazi's stand down!)
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Secure everything so that it can't become a missile if you roll over or suddenly stop.  If you're not comfortable with something don't do it- it's one thing to push the limits when you have a spotter and other vehicles, it's another when you're alone.  Walk water/mud before driving into them.  

Carry extra water and shelter and let someone know when to expect you back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Having wheeled in Gilbert before....if its rained recently its a mudfest (at least it was when I was there).  With AT tires, you *will* get stuck.  

Make sure you have good tow points front & rear, a good strap (not a tow strap, an actual recovery strap), and even a cable winch / come-a-long beats nothing at all.

You may want to look in to getting a set of tire chains too, it'll turn AT's in to halfway decent performers..

Oh - and the mud up there stains everything red.  Be warned...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't seen this yet....Air compressor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Front and rear lockers. In some off-road areas they are required. Regardless, they save a lot of wear and tear on both your vehicle and the trail!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Toss a lunchbox locker in the front if you still have time.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always heard them referred to as a farmer's wrench or wrench set.     I like the crescent hammer better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Having wheeled in Gilbert before....if its rained recently its a mudfest (at least it was when I was there).  With AT tires, you *will* get stuck.  

Make sure you have good tow points front & rear, a good strap (not a tow strap, an actual recovery strap), and even a cable winch / come-a-long beats nothing at all.

You may want to look in to getting a set of tire chains too, it'll turn AT's in to halfway decent performers..

Oh - and the mud up there stains everything red.  Be warned...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]
1) water
2) a friend!

I got stuck on a remote off road trail in Rainier National Park once alone with only about a gallon of water with it being 90 degrees. What started out as a quick trip down some fire roads ended up as a 4 hour ride down a washed out road that was only about 1-2 feet wider than my tires and on the edge of a mountain to my left and a rock and dirt wall to my right. By the time i got to the bottom and off the mountain i was extremely dehydrated from the what seemed like 100 times i had to get out and clear the trail so i could get past.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't follow this order of accessories or essentials depending on how you look at it but if I were to do it again: Winch before lockers.  Lockers get you in, winch gets you out.  With that said you can throw an aussie or lockrite in a dana 30 in no time at all... Lunchbox works best in the front because it will only lock when power is applied from the driveshaft so while in 2wd your front will stay unlocked, when in 4x4, your front axle locks up like a Detroit.

Good quality recovery gear goes along ways!  Also remember to hook up and screw down.  If your using straps, chains or cables that have hooks, hook them up, (with the hook facing up) that way if it slips of or breaks the force push's it down to the ground.  When using shackles use them so you thread the pin down, that way you don't drop it in the mud.

I could ramble on for pages but that's enough for now.  I used to sit on the board of directors for our local Jeep off roading club.  Owned several lifted and locked TJ, XJ, & ZJs.

& now that I am a home owner I drive something a little more economical.  Not as cool but gets great MPG and has 4x4.  30 miles one way to work adds up pretty quick:

If I want to live in the "woods" then the drive is required.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn't follow this order of accessories or essentials depending on how you look at it but if I were to do it again: Winch before lockers.  Lockers get you in, winch gets you out.  With that said you can throw an aussie or lockrite in a dana 30 in no time at all... Lunchbox works best in the front because it will only lock when power is applied from the driveshaft so while in 2wd your front will stay unlocked, when in 4x4, your front axle locks up like a Detroit.

Good quality recovery gear goes along ways!  Also remember to hook up and screw down.  If your using straps, chains or cables that have hooks, hook them up, (with the hook facing up) that way if it slips of or breaks the force push's it down to the ground.  When using shackles use them so you thread the pin down, that way you don't drop it in the mud.

I could ramble on for pages but that's enough for now.  I used to sit on the board of directors for our local Jeep off roading club.  Owned several lifted and locked TJ, XJ, & ZJs.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Cars/PICT0215.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Cars/1992XJ1.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Cars/1999TJcage.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Cars/1994XJ2.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Cars/PICT2068.jpg

& now that I am a home owner I drive something a little more economical.  Not as cool but gets great MPG and has 4x4.  30 miles one way to work adds up pretty quick:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Cars/PICT0225.jpg

View Quote

although we traded our patriot in it did great in snow.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to be pretty active on the ADK Jeeps forum, my friend when he lived up there was a member and I met them for a few small gatherings. I wish I still had time to screw around with them but between working for myself and when we had a baby that entire chunk of time disappeared. I told my wife when I was 40 I wanted to build another buggy though, maybe I will have the time and money by then.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I used to be pretty active on the ADK Jeeps forum, my friend when he lived up there was a member and I met them for a few small gatherings. I wish I still had time to screw around with them but between working for myself and when we had a baby that entire chunk of time disappeared. I told my wife when I was 40 I wanted to build another buggy though, maybe I will have the time and money by then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent several years active with that club, the forum is pretty much dead now.  Shortly after I got out of wheeling like it was a job the "regime" of the club changed, they redid the forum and website and I pretty much drifted away.  I ride ATV a lot and they are pretty versatile around my modern homestead with firewood and work so they serve more of a general purpose and recreation roll vs a dedicated wheeling Jeep.  Plus they don't break as easy!  Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I spent several years active with that club, the forum is pretty much dead now.  Shortly after I got out of wheeling like it was a job the "regime" of the club changed, they redid the forum and website and I pretty much drifted away.  I ride ATV a lot and they are pretty versatile around my modern homestead with firewood and work so they serve more of a general purpose and recreation roll vs a dedicated wheeling Jeep.  Plus they don't break as easy!  Sent you a PM.
View Quote

I just remember a huge multi month argument on that forum regarding snowmobile right of way and offroading in the winter.

The guys that rode sleds argued that the seasonal roads were not open to Jeeps in the winter and would get pissed off when people offroaded on groomed seasonal road trails. The rebuttal was that even if they weren't maintained they were still town owned roads and snowmobiles must always yield to motor vehicle traffic on a town road.

I was on the team for the latter, as there is no specific wording regarding sleds having exclusive rights to any town roads, even if they do groom them.

People were really getting pissed off in both camps though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top