Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 2:29:49 PM EDT
So........my Brother and I went scouting for firewood in the National Forest here in Montana, just today.  We encountered in our search 6 strange, paranoid individuals at the place where we decided to cut our wood.
They were very nervous and swearing at us in high pitched voices that "this place was taken".  Upon further inspection, we noticed that one of these men had a carbine.  We retreived our dog and retreated to the truck where I charged my USP and engaged the safety, preparing myself for the sound of someone firing on my brother.  We got in the truck and retreated down a very sketchy 4X4 road, thankfully the truck didn't fail us.

I will leave it to your imagination to understand what they were doing.  But this time of year, please everybody (I know you do) carry your AR-15's in the woods because I wished I'd had mine today.  

I learned today that I need to secure my area, because it was not.

Everybody please be safe. Take care of your family.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Not really sure what you mean by this time of the year.

Growing weed? poaching? harvesting shrooms? playing banjos?

Thanks for the heads up though........  Be safe out there!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cooking
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
No poaching, no mushrooms, no banjo's.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
South facing slope.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not real up on stuff that happens in the woods...  I'll just say moonshine.... cuz I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cooking
View Quote

This, Meth use create severe Paranoia.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
And why didn't you call the cops?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thinking about it...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cooking
View Quote

Ding ding ding.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I talked to the Forest Service Ranger today.

They were not making meth................they were growing, duh.

The sheriff's went to investigate.  Ranger Nate was very interested in my report and he scrambled the local sheriffs office to the area to check things.  They won't be growing anything there in the future. You don't need to make meth on a south facing slope in August.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The sheriff's went to investigate.  Ranger Nate was very interested in my report and he scrambled the local sheriffs office to the area to check things.  They won't be growing anything there in the future. You don't need to make meth on a south facing slope in August.
View Quote

So they found a grow spot?  Arrested the guys?

Why so cryptic??

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why so cryptic??

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so cryptic??

Yes, whats up with the cryptic bullshit?  Just come out and say what was going on
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, whats up with the cryptic bullshit?  Just come out and say what was going on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so cryptic??

IT'S FOR MY INNER DRAMA QUEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Thanks for reminding us OP, we can get complacent.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so cryptic??

Also, there was a safe out there.

DAY 1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DAY 1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so cryptic??

DAY 1

GREAT another safe thread I got to check everyday.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
In the 710 sq. mi. Ocala NF where my fish camp is you have to pay $20 for a permit to cut firewood. It is only good for 30 days and only for one cord total. You can only cut in one tiny area that they have marked for that use. Do they enforce this type of PITA control over fire wood cutting in the NF where you harvest?

just wonderin?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The last time I cut wood in AZ forest, it was a $10 permit and no limit.  I took out several truckloads.  They had already cut down the trees to thin the forest due to a recent fire/fire danger.  All I had to do is cut them into cordwood and put them in the truck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In the 710 sq. mi. Ocala NF where my fish camp is you have to pay $20 for a permit to cut firewood. It is only good for 30 days and only for one cord total. You can only cut in one tiny area that they have marked for that use. Do they enforce this type of PITA control over fire wood cutting in the NF where you harvest?

just wonderin?
View Quote
how much is the permit to operate a swamp buggy or sand rail in the pits?  or don't they allow that anymore.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
how much is the permit to operate a swamp buggy or sand rail in the pits?  or don't they allow that anymore?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just wonderin?
how much is the permit to operate a swamp buggy or sand rail in the pits?  or don't they allow that anymore?

Unless your swamp buggy or sand rail is legally licensed and tagged/insured with DOT tires you're not legal anywhere in the forest. Quads, licensed jeeps and motorcycles have their own specifically designated areas.

It's not like the old days anymore. Any attempt to have fun is highly regulated, strictly enforced and highly frowned upon by the kings land keepers.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Some of the coolest vehicles and downright friendliest people I had ever seen/met were in that forest in the early 90's. I lived right on the river in volusia county.
We had a great time in sand rails and lifted trucks on 44's out there... Just about every weekend.....also used to enjoy watching the bombing range and shooting at the range up on 42 I think was the number.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Dam safe threads.

Pot growers?  Don't let that "victimless crime" make you into a murder statistic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool story, bro!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dam safe threads.

Pot growers?  Don't let that "victimless crime" make you into a murder statistic.
View Quote

Read an article on the web a few years ago about a large number of people going MIA in the area of Northern California refered to as the "Emerald Triangle"..

linky
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Once you have been a member of arfcom for more than a year armed confrontations dont happen to you anymore. Its a strange phenomenon indeed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Read an article on the web a few years ago about a large number of people going MIA in the area of Northern California refered to as the "Emerald Triangle"..

linky
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dam safe threads.

linky

Thanks for that reassuring article  I saw MaryJane growers near Tuolumne Meadows when I did the JMT a few years ago.  Looked greasy and merciless.

I'm going back up into the Sierras for Sooty Grouse/Mountain Quail this Sept.  Good luck to me.  

There are no safety rails or referees in the Sierras. It's every backpacking hunter for himself.
Thanks for the added danger, potheads and Mexican Cartels.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys.  And thanks for all the replies. This is no story, this is real, I respect this forum and I wouldn't lie to you gentlemen.
I did contact the law and I assume they checked it out. Never heard back from Captain Card.

Today, bro and I returned to the ambush site and cleared it. We had our carbines with us. Circling in from above, we sighted a lean to shack deeper in the trees and approached very carefully.  It was unoccupied, just a machete inside and some garbage.  I looked for holes in the ground where they had pulled up thier plants but there had been a lot of trees downed in the last two weeks.  Lots of sawdust, those guys probably covering their tracks.  We cut trees, spraypainted logs and rocks, then left.  I expected to find more. I plan to go back there soon and investigate further, but we couldn't focus on the ground too much being too busy scanning for hidden sketchers.  Apparently they were gone.  It was very strange and creepy to go back to that spot. Wish I knew more....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top