Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 9:54:20 PM EDT
I have an pretty old 3 man dome tent.
we take it out to the beach once a year or so.

gives good cover and a place to get out of the sun, change etc..

However, during certain times of the day, it doesn't provide much shade unless you are physically in the tent.

I would like some sort of add on to cover just in front of the door to keep it in the shade.

something I can velcro to the exposed area's of the poles on the tent, either at the top or just infront of the doors.
then maybe some free standing poles that will hold it up away from the tent body.

does anything like this already exist? or am I figuring out how to build this on my own?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabelas has a vestible for their Alaknak tents.  It's a free standing vestibule that could be tied into your tent with velco and/or other methods.

As pretty as it is, you could probably use a suitable sized tarp and achieve the same result at a much lower cost.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaknak-II-Vestibule/732436.uts
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw a video on YouTube, a guy cut a tarp to shape and used Velcro to make a vestibule.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not get a 10'x10' pop up canopy? put it up right next to the tent and stake it down. They're less than $80.00 sometimes less than $40,00
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I was hoping to keep it small and put it in the tent pack. instead of carrying another larger case.

the one listed is a bit much for what I want to do.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you are attempting to re-invent the wheel. If only shade is what's wanted, a Kelty "Noah's Tarp" or etc., with a couple of poles and some stakes or sand anchors will serve. Pitch  it over the  entry to your tent, and be happy. If you want more shaded or rain sheltered area, you'll want a quality tarp, at least two adjustable height poles (four, better), a bunch of stakes or sand anchors,and lots of line to rig a proper tarp setup, and some knowledge of useful knots. REI has some of the products you'll want, including Kelty tarps, poles, stakes and anchors, polyester line in various sizes, even a knot guide, etc. So far as  I can tell, the best of  rain/shade tarps are made by Cooke's Custom Sewing ---for best shade, choose 1.9 oz. silnylon fabric, in  a dark  color.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks.
yes, just sun shade. I have a rain fly for the tent. but we don't ever use it for bad weather.

I saw this
http://www.rei.com/product/810167/rei-connect-tech-garage

but can't tell what actually comes with it. so going to go by a local rei to see.
if it comes with a set of poles, it looks like what I want. except the front cover.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at these, pricey but the quality is there and they are complete packages:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/essential-series/category

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Wal Mart general purpose tarp?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
We do this with tarps during winter hunter for extra snow/ wind protection.  I good tarp and some 550 cord will go aloooooong way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top