Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2014 7:56:29 AM EDT
I have been shopping pretty hard for a new pack the last few days, it is time. Our trips are getting longer and more technical when we take them, and the ILBE is just a bit outclassed by smaller lighter stuff as far as keeping up and keeping my comfort up.

I see UL frameless packs like the Golite Jam that look flimsy, and the heavier but more rugged looking Kelty offerings. Where is the best compromise?

I definitely need some sort of frame since my loadout for most days will still be hovering around 35 lbs.

I really like the look and feel of the Osprey Exos, but again I am curious about how well the padding will hold up.

It seems to be a tough jump for my brain to go from bullet proof, but heavy to more fragile but more comfy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the reputable UL/Light companies will stand behind their gear.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Osprey Almighty Guarantee:
Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it.
View Quote

Aside from the fit being a bit better for me, that warranty convinced me to spend $260 on an Aether instead of $180 on a similar REI-branded offering.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aside from the fit being a bit better for me, that warranty convinced me to spend $260 on an Aether instead of $180 on a similar REI-branded offering.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it.

Well damn, it's like the Hi-point of backpacks.....

At least in the warranty regard.

I really want to fondle an Exos because the video reviews I am seeing make it look like something that would fit my needs well.

It's at least an hour drive to find one though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I really want to fondle an Exos because the video reviews I am seeing make it look like something that would fit my needs well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an Exos 38. It's a fantastic pack. No issues with durability, it's become the most popular pack on the AT this year. Most thru-hikers are rolling with one for the whole trail.

ETA: Just saw that your load out is going to be about 35 pounds, that's a little high for the Exos series, they're best when you're right at  20-30 pounds, I'd actually look at the Atmos series of packs. They're built for the 35-40 pound range.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Another cottage industry ULA, makes some bomb-proof packs.  I've been very impressed and I've used Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Arc'Teryx between a few tours to Iraq and Afghanistan.  It was just that much more of a bonus that they offer Multicam

Some of the UL packs are actually well built, but you do need to shop around...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true...I had an 8 year old Big Agnes tent fail simply from sitting in storage...maybe used the tent once during the time i had it and when i went to use it the taped seams were rotting away and there other issues with it (and yes it was stored in a climate controlled area).

BA offered me almost $400.00 in credit towards a new tent.

That said, I am not entirely sold on all this lightweight/go fast tech as much of it just seems so delicate.  When I am outdoors I don't want to have to treat my gear with kid gloves every time I use it, and am thinking I'd rather deal with a few extra pounds in terms of gear than carry delicate gear that could potentially fail when you need it most.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is true...I had an 8 year old Big Agnes tent fail simply from sitting in storage...maybe used the tent once during the time i had it and when i went to use it the taped seams were rotting away and there other issues with it (and yes it was stored in a climate controlled area).

That said, I am not entirely sold on all this lightweight/go fast tech as much of it just seems so delicate.  When I am outdoors I don't want to have to treat my gear with kid gloves every time I use it, and am thinking I'd rather deal with a few extra pounds in terms of gear than carry delicate gear that could potentially fail when you need it most.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sort of agree with that, but unless you are going down range the new stuff is likely just as good,  provided you inspect it regularly.

I am having a hard time transitioning my brain from the idea that I need a cordura pack, for a long time I was willing to take a weight hit knowing my stuff was bomb proof. After last weeks trip though and watching my friend have a much easier time of it than I did I think I need to invest in a few lighter items.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
just thinking outloud here...

What kind of things typically fail on packs? buckles, straps, maybe some rips and tears. weight often causes these issues i would guess.
Sometimes just being careless, throwing it into the truck and it snags on whatever, I would guess briars or branches could snag and tear as well.
I guess in the spirit of arfcom try and get both.
what it boils down to is if you dont mind carrying it then get bombproof, if its just getting to be too much step it down or shave weight somewhere else to make up for the bombproof-ness.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I found what I am going to get.

The Mountainsmith Eclipse 55 seems to get solid reviews where I can find them. Not terribly heavy, but not super light either, still over 3 lbs lighter than my current pack though.

Super cheap too since they are an older bag, I found one for $85 on clearance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think I found what I am going to get.

The Mountainsmith Eclipse 55 seems to get solid reviews where I can find them. Not terribly heavy, but not super light either, still over 3 lbs lighter than my current pack though.

Super cheap too since they are an older bag, I found one for $85 on clearance.
View Quote

let us know how it compares.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I've packed an Exos 46 around Arizona for the last 3-4 years and it's held up far better than I would've expected.  Everything here is sharp, pointy, and abrasive and it's hard to tell the pack has been to so many places.  Best damn pack yet, and despite the relatively small size has been able to cram in everything I need for 3-4 days with some bulky addons like an SLR and lenses, ham radio, fishing gear, etc.  The stretchy material rocks...

The only snag, for me, is the frame is built for someone with a slimmer build than my fat ass (5'9" (10 if i don't slouch!) and ~205lbs) and can kinda wear on the hips/ass region if I don't cinch it properly for a high ride.  Also not the most holster-friendly pack in the world, which got me to go the drop-leg route pretty early on.  

The newer models keep getting better too, and I've been seriously considering upgrading (as if I need excuses to boost that REI dividend...)
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

does you a lot of good when you are out on the trail and it fails catastrophically.

IMO there is no way to make a pack that is both durable and lightweight. It just cannot be done. You have to take one or the other.

The thing is that people have been using lighter weight gear for a long time and have adapted to its limitations pretty well.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It is dependent on the weight of gear you already have too.  You won't be able to load 50+ pounds into a super ultra light pack and have it be comfortable.  I have an Osprey Aether which was super comfortable for my gear, when I started out, and was not in the SUL category.  As I've pared down my gear weight over the years, I'm ready to try one of the SUL packs.  But when I tried the SUL packs with my current gear, they were not comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is dependent on the weight of gear you already have too.  You won't be able to load 50+ pounds into a super ultra light pack and have it be comfortable.  I have an Osprey Aether which was super comfortable for my gear, when I started out, and was not in the SUL category.  As I've pared down my gear weight over the years, I'm ready to try one of the SUL packs.  But when I tried the SUL packs with my current gear, they were not comfortable.
View Quote

Yeah, that is a valid point.

While I don't go super light I can load a 3 season pack with about 25 lbs easy enough, I often throw in extras though since we do a lot of hike in to camp type trips instead of just hiking.

My total load on the last 3 day trip was 40 lbs, and because I had my dog that included a 4 lb tent, 3 lbs of dog food and my pack is 6.5 lbs.

I am tarp shopping right now since the one I have doesn't have a bug net or doors, but I am hoping to get something that is sub 2 lbs. and if I can knock 3 lbs off my pack weight that will be a 35lb load with everything for me and the dog for 3 days, which doesn't bother me much at all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

While I don't go super light I can load a 3 season pack with about 25 lbs easy enough, I often throw in extras though since we do a lot of hike in to camp type trips instead of just hiking.

My total load on the last 3 day trip was 40 lbs, and because I had my dog that included a 4 lb tent, 3 lbs of dog food and my pack is 6.5 lbs.

I am tarp shopping right now since the one I have doesn't have a bug net or doors, but I am hoping to get something that is sub 2 lbs. and if I can knock 3 lbs off my pack weight that will be a 35lb load with everything for me and the dog for 3 days, which doesn't bother me much at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

35 pounds is still probably pushing it for what a SUL pack can handle.  I doubt you could do much more than 25 pounds in most of the true SUL packs.  I tried the new Osprey Exos 58 this spring when it came out, just to see how it felt, and it is only listed at 20-25 pounds.  Not sure about published figures for the other smaller vendors, but I'd bet they are similar, maybe even less.  I think you really need to try them out with your expected load to see what is comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I am going to stick with that Mountainsmith for now, it isn't here yet but if it's decent as a traditional style pack it should handle the loads I need it for.

I can't get much lighter just yet, especially when the kid starts to get into it.

No big deal really, it will save me money and I am still  young enough to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

The boy and I both have an Exos, and they're wonderful packs when not heavily loaded.  We went a couple of weeks ago for a 2.5 day trip, and my bag weighed 26 lb 12oz including food and water.  It was a pretty comfortable though not long hike.  I think anything much over 30lbs, though, and I'm going to take a different bag.  I have an Aether 70 that weighs almost 2x what the exos does, but can haul quite a bit more weight.

Maybe if you hit up an REI, have them put one on your back and load it w/ 35 lbs of sand bags, then properly adjust it for you.  Spend an hour walking around the store like this and you'll know if it's the right fit.

I'm envious of some of the SUL guys when I see them walking w/ a 15lb total weight on their back, but I don't think I can go that far.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

does you a lot of good when you are out on the trail and it fails catastrophically.

IMO there is no way to make a pack that is both durable and lightweight. It just cannot be done. You have to take one or the other.

The thing is that people have been using lighter weight gear for a long time and have adapted to its limitations pretty well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've found the smaller cottage industries much faster at responding to problems.  Failures happen with all gear at some point, but if you check the track record, those cottage industries have mailed packs (or other gear) in just a day or two to replace their failed pack.  I know big companies will do that as well, but the smaller ones are much more responsive and faster to take action.  I do believe there is a balance of lightweight and durability; the difference is in how much weight you can comfortably pack.  A light pack and frame can be durable, but far from comfortable if you exceed the recommended weight limits.  On the other side of the coin, I've had Kifaru packs weighing 6-7 pounds that are comfortable with 30 pounds or over 80 pounds.  I just think my ULA pack is durable enough for the lighter loads and they don't compromise any comfort but much lighter; if I exceed 35-40 pounds, that pack is no longer comfortable even if the frame could withstand the excess weight.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My tarp set up ...is a self made 8*8 silnylon...I run a 5*8 1.2oz ripstop ground sheet...and I suspended a cot style bug net under it.
Tarp with stakes...line and stuff sack is sub 13 oz ..ground sheet is 5 oz iirc ...and bug net around 3 iirc.

I got tired of humping a 4 lb solo tent...and it saves a shit ton of space.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top