Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 12:01:30 PM EDT
Damn, my usual pack weight is 40 lbs or less, and when I can get it around 35 I feel like I accomplished something.

I just packed up for a 3 day trip we are taking soon and I am at 42 lbs without water or my folding saw. I will be at 48 lbs when we leave. I shifted from all freeze dried to only one meal per day to keep the sodium down, so plain old dry food takes more to get the same calorie count. Bullfrog season is open so I have to take the pack .22 so I can go hunting.

I am taking my dog with me this time and I had to change things around a bit. The hammock is staying at home, I gained almost a pound by going to the tent. He has 3 lbs worth of food, the leash and an extra small blanket to sleep on.

I thought about making him carry some stuff, but the moron won't stay out of any water we get near, so I don't want him either waterlogging his food and blanket, losing it, or getting hung up. Not worth the hassle.

Changes start to add up, dang. I will be packing in nearly 33% my body weight. I guess on the way out we will be right at 40 again, but it sucks. I feel like I am taking a big old step backwards.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind...
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap.

Tell your dog to carry his own shit.  Hell, tell him to carry his own shit, and some of yours, too!

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Step 1. Waterproof bags for the dog
Step 2. Lighter bag
Step 3. profit

Or just make the dog carry stuff that can get wet without issues. No way would I carry a bunch of dog stuff, and my stuff to 33% body weight, and the dog isn't carrying crap. Dog should pull it's own weight, and some of yours, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My problem now is that I have waited too long to try any more.

The moron is huge, so the ones they had locally wouldn't fit him comfortably, and I don't have time to order and send back a bunch of others if they won't work out.

If the bonehead would stay out of the water there wouldn't be a problem, but every time we got to the woods and he sees even a large puddle he rolls in it. I have a harness that will fit him, and one plan involved making throwaway pouches from tyvek and attaching them, basically just putting his ziplock of food in a tyvek pouch, wrapping and taping it, and then taping it right to the harness, up and around like a bandolier.

He could also take some of my stuff like that and I could put his blanket in my pack.

My next concern is him getting hung up while wearing a harness, when we hunt he goes naked, no collar or anything to get snagged in the water, if he does a half gainer off a bank while wearing it and gets into the trouble then I have to shed my pack and boots and jump right in after him.

My other dog hates the water, and it would work, but with the lab I just see too many problems with it.

I guess it's only one way though, on the way out I will be about 10 lbs lighter at least.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Two things.....

If 40 pounds is 33% of your body weight ......wow.  

Second, I think you are doing GREAT as far as weight.

I'm leaving Wednesday for Colorado. My pack with water is going to be around 80 lbs. 5 days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two things.....

If 40 pounds is 33% of your body weight ......wow.  

Second, I think you are doing GREAT as far as weight.

I'm leaving Wednesday for Colorado. My pack with water is going to be around 80 lbs. 5 days.
View Quote

I'm at 150 most days.

So almost 50 lbs is just about 1/3.

I went through it again last night and lost some stuff to bring my final weight to 42, I'll only carry half the water I planned, left one pair of socks and one extra shirt out, and switched sleeping bags.

I could be at 39 lbs without the rifle, but the bullfrogs were going crazy in this spot last year, and my sharp stick method sucked.

A friend of ours going with us will likely be around 70 lbs, his pack gets progressively heavier each trip. I have posted this picture before, but it's worth posting again. This is pretty much his standard loadout, lucky we are only going 3 days.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you hunt with a pistol? That should knock a couple lbs off too.

Also, try a couple practice hikes with your dog harnessed up. If that doesn't work try a lead?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, 40lb base weight? I'm more than double your size and my base weight is probably around 24lbs for a 2/3 day trip.

How heavy is your pack and sleeping bag? Going light there is the easiest way to shed a few pounds. I switched from an old car camping bag, to just a liner(summer camping only), and lost almost 4.5 lbs. If I go with a lighter pack, I can easily shed another 2-3, but I don't have the money yet. What do you use to carry water? Are you going to be near a water source? If so, you can save tons of water weight by carrying a Sawyer mini filter with you. Weighs 2 oz and is an awesome water filter. I will usually only bring 1 liter with me, then use local water sources to fill when needed. What exactly are you bringing?  I'm sure between the group here we could find a way to lighten your load.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#9]
You could be at 35 pounds with a lighter pack. The ILBE is a heavy sucker, especially when you start attaching pouches to the outside.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow, 40lb base weight? I'm more than double your size and my base weight is probably around 24lbs for a 2/3 day trip.

How heavy is your pack and sleeping bag? Going light there is the easiest way to shed a few pounds. I switched from an old car camping bag, to just a liner(summer camping only), and lost almost 4.5 lbs. If I go with a lighter pack, I can easily shed another 2-3, but I don't have the money yet. What do you use to carry water? Are you going to be near a water source? If so, you can save tons of water weight by carrying a Sawyer mini filter with you. Weighs 2 oz and is an awesome water filter. I will usually only bring 1 liter with me, then use local water sources to fill when needed. What exactly are you bringing?  I'm sure between the group here we could find a way to lighten your load.
View Quote

My pack is what is kicking me in the butt right now.

Even shaved down my ILBE is still 6.35 lbs. My bags aren't much of an issue, my heaviest is about 2.5 lbs for winter, my lightest is just under two for fall and spring. I scrapped the bag and I am just taking a poncho liner this trip.

I gained almost a pound by going from a tent and pad from my hammock and tarp, but compromises for the dog.

I usually have a hydration bladder, but I am going to stick with a wide mouth nalgene for this trip and refill as needed with the filter.

I know I could lighten my load, but since its a hike in - hike out camping trip I have a few creature comforts along.

A pair of camp shoes is mandatory since I don't want to hang around camp in my boots, they are about 12 oz. An Alite Monarch chair. 1.2 lbs, but so comfy for lounging, and like I said above, the Savage Rascal for getting frog legs, 3.8 lbs with the scope and ammo.

Right there is almost 6 lbs of nothing more than comfort items basically, which would be fine but the food for the dog is 3 lbs, and his blanket is a few extra ounces, so it stacks up fast. I could leave the rifle home and try out the sling shot I guess, that thing is only a few ounces.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could be at 35 pounds with a lighter pack. The ILBE is a heavy sucker, especially when you start attaching pouches to the outside.
View Quote

That picture is my friend, he is a a little silly when it comes to over packing, on that particular trip we got to our camp site and he started pulling out actual cans of food, the heaviest possible food he could have found, there was also about 1000 rounds of ammo and two handguns stashed in there for some unknown reason.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you hunt with a pistol? That should knock a couple lbs off too.

Also, try a couple practice hikes with your dog harnessed up. If that doesn't work try a lead?
View Quote

Legally I can, but in practice not a chance. I have gone down that road before, even with a scoped pistol I had a hell of a time just squirrel hunting.

The lead will end up screwing me, the trail last year was kind of like a deer path, and he swerves on and off trail all the time looking for birds. I have one packed, and he knows how to walk on it, but life will be a whole lot easier without it, we didn't see a person last time at this spot either, so I am not too worried about him scaring anyone that isn't a dog person.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like you're not willing to make any sacrifices.  Enjoy the massive poundage!

I'm heading out tomorrow for a 3 day and my pack weight including food, minus water is about 15 pounds right now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It sounds like you're not willing to make any sacrifices.  Enjoy the massive poundage!

I'm heading out tomorrow for a 3 day and my pack weight including food, minus water is about 15 pounds right now.
View Quote

I won't enjoy the walk, but I'll enjoy the stay at camp.

I 86'd the rifle today and skimmed off a little more fat.

It was killing me heading out over 40 lbs.

If I was just hoofing it without setting up camp though I would lose the chair and camp shoes for sure. There will be a lot of leisure time on Saturday though, so I want to be comfy.

Come winter I will be working with the dog and his own pack. It will work out better since there won't be any water for him to get side tracked in. I am hoping after duck season he is even closer in the field though than he is now, he is still just a pup and I worked with him all year, but once fall comes and we get some serious field work time he should polish right up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Even shaved down my ILBE is still 6.35 lbs. My bags aren't much of an issue, my heaviest is about 2.5 lbs for winter, my lightest is just under two for fall and spring. I scrapped the bag and I am just taking a poncho liner this trip.

I gained almost a pound by going from a tent and pad from my hammock and tarp, but compromises for the dog.

I usually have a hydration bladder, but I am going to stick with a wide mouth nalgene for this trip and refill as needed with the filter.

I know I could lighten my load, but since its a hike in - hike out camping trip I have a few creature comforts along.

A pair of camp shoes is mandatory since I don't want to hang around camp in my boots, they are about 12 oz. An Alite Monarch chair. 1.2 lbs, but so comfy for lounging, and like I said above, the Savage Rascal for getting frog legs, 3.8 lbs with the scope and ammo.

Right there is almost 6 lbs of nothing more than comfort items basically, which would be fine but the food for the dog is 3 lbs, and his blanket is a few extra ounces, so it stacks up fast. I could leave the rifle home and try out the sling shot I guess, that thing is only a few ounces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 65L bags(Osprey Atmos off the top of my head) that weigh 3.5lbs(less if you can get away with a 50L), switch camp shoes for sandals and that alone cuts almost 4lbs. Everybody has comforts they bring, so I'm not touching that. For camp clothes, I like shorts or lightweight wind breaker pants, not sure what you bring.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are 65L bags(Osprey Atmos off the top of my head) that weigh 3.5lbs(less if you can get away with a 50L), switch camp shoes for sandals and that alone cuts almost 4lbs. Everybody has comforts they bring, so I'm not touching that. For camp clothes, I like shorts or lightweight wind breaker pants, not sure what you bring.
View Quote

I looked at packs last night actually. My dad didn't want to borrow one again this year so I got him a field and stream branded one from Dicks. For $100 it seems like a pretty good value and the stitching seems tough enough for his use.

I tried on a few offerings from Kelty and liked most of them, I will probably go with one of them in the future. For as much as I can actually get out now though it's not worth it to put any money into one, especially when I got the ILBE for a song and a dance basically.

My camp shorts are just nylon soccer shorts, they are lighter than a pair of boxers
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to do a lot of backpacking 40 years ago. Most of the time my packs were between 35 and 45 lbs.  In my 20's I couldn't afford the lightest equipment.  Now in my mid 60's I have a bad hip and carrying a pack long distances is out of the question. I have switched first to loaded bike touring on gravel roads in National Forests.  I was using a bike that was about 25 lbs and loaded with racks, panniers, gear, food and water would weigh about 80 lbs.

I now switched to a lighter sleeping bag. Switched from a 3 lb tent to a 1.2 lb bivy and tarp.  I carry 2 24 oz water bottles and a 2 liter hydration pack and a water filter.  A 2014 Salsa Fargo 2 bike with lighter wheels, tires and seat weighs 22 lbs,  Using soft bags instead of the rack and panniers I have the loaded weight with 3 days food down to under 60 lbs.  Lighter weight and having the load centered has made it a lot nicer.

I do have a Gregory pack and when I do pack I can only go about 6 to 8 miles a day with my bad hip.  The bike allows me to do 60 to 100 miles of gravel roads in a day although I usually do less because I am stopping to look at things and enjoy the  outdoors.  With the new gear I can keep the pack weight at or below 30 lbs for a 2 day trip as long as I have places to resupply water.  

So far this year this bike has toured in Nicolet NF, Hiawatha NF, Huron NF, Manistee NF and Hoosier NF. Will be going back to Manistee NF in a few weeks.  I got this new bike in early May and so far have about 2200 miles on it.  Most of those were loaded for camping.  Light weight is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#18]
OP:

Weight management is always a challenge w/ no free lunch.

Saw the winter rig and thought you might appreciate this;

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#19]
How much does that dog weigh?

I could get my lab to pull that off I bet, he is pushing 110 right now and he's 11 months.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP:

Weight management is always a challenge w/ no free lunch.

Saw the winter rig and thought you might appreciate this;

View Quote

I honestly can't wait for the weigh in tomorrow morning. It has turned into a fun part of the trip at this point.

He switched from a tent to a homemade hammock and tarp and actually gained weight on his shelter, it is like a mansion in that thing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
He weighs 110.  He is built unlike any other Lab I've seen.  Very tall, long legged and boned.

Here's some more of him;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_11/672165_Every_Season_Versatility_in_Picture_Form____pic___heavy____.html

All dogs pretty much like to pull.  Not sure what it is but they just do.  Like God stuck it in them from the beginning or something.  The problem isn't getting them to pull, it is controlling them while they are pulling.  My bud took off after a moose one day and I couldn't stop him till he was all wound up in the pines!!

He's dead controllable now.  I spend a lot of time in the remorte mountains with him all seasons but in the winter it is really fun.  I've never packed him, but folks I know say they don't mind the pack, either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He weighs 110.  He is built unlike any other Lab I've seen.  Very tall, long legged and boned.

Here's some more of him;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_11/672165_Every_Season_Versatility_in_Picture_Form____pic___heavy____.html

All dogs pretty much like to pull.  Not sure what it is but they just do.  Like God stuck it in them from the beginning or something.  The problem isn't getting them to pull, it is controlling them while they are pulling.  My bud took off after a moose one day and I couldn't stop him till he was all wound up in the pines!!

He's dead controllable now.  I spend a lot of time in the remorte mountains with him all seasons but in the winter it is really fun.  I've never packed him, but folks I know say they don't mind the pack, either.
View Quote

That's cool, do you hunt him? Edit: Didn't click the link yet...very cool.

I can recall my lab any time right now, but the route he takes may not be direct.

Just last week we were out in the field doing some training and I called him back. Instead of straight lining it he veered off at a 45, looking at me the whole time, and ran right up a creek for about 30 feet, then got back on course.

As if to say "I'm coming, but I'm just gonna get muddy and soaked real fast before we get in the truck"

That is the big reason I don't want him to have a pack on, I just picture him waterlogging it 10 minutes onto the trail and them me having to hump in everything anyway, but now soggy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can recall my lab any time right now, but the route he takes may not be direct.

Just last week we were out in the field doing some training and I called him back. Instead of straight lining it he veered off at a 45, looking at me the whole time, and ran right up a creek for about 30 feet, then got back on course.

As if to say "I'm coming, but I'm just gonna get muddy and soaked real fast before we get in the truck"

That is the big reason I don't want him to have a pack on, I just picture him waterlogging it 10 minutes onto the trail and them me having to hump in everything anyway, but now soggy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's some more of him;

I never thot about the waterlogging, but that would be an issue.

That other thread says most of the story.  The bait squirrels are the funnest part.  Sit on a ridge and shoot ground squirrels and he dive down into the canyon, locates the mess and brings it back for the bucket!

Then goes home and kisses Mom.

Heh, heh, heh...

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I looked at packs last night actually. My dad didn't want to borrow one again this year so I got him a field and stream branded one from Dicks. For $100 it seems like a pretty good value and the stitching seems tough enough for his use.

I tried on a few offerings from Kelty and liked most of them, I will probably go with one of them in the future. For as much as I can actually get out now though it's not worth it to put any money into one, especially when I got the ILBE for a song and a dance basically.

My camp shorts are just nylon soccer shorts, they are lighter than a pair of boxers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't mind used gear, check out geartrade.com. Folks put up their stuff at really reasonable prices. You can usually save 50% that way. I picked up a Kelty redwing pack there for $30.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Put the dog food in a nalgene. That way it wont soak the food. As for the pack, a couple grommet holes at the bottom should keep it drained.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I am very glad I didn't put a pack on him. It was hotter than hell for one, but  like I expected he was into every single swamp, creek, and pond we came to the instant we got there.

He also showed me a lot of birdiness on the trail and did a fantastic job of sweeping off trail on both sides, but maintaining a good range. He picked up fast that we weren't hunting and we were focused on moving and played sheepdog a bit.

Probably not what most people would want out of a hiking dog, but come fall I expect to get a lot of use out of him before duck season starts. He even circled one rabbit and tree'd a squirrel for me, but came right off and hit my heels as soon as I gave him a recall.

At camp he was a blast too, so it was worth the extra 3 lbs of food on my back just to have him there, the strangers that showed up at our liked him and he had goodt manners towards them.  I was very impressed by how well he tuned in at 11 months too. He would go off with the other guys around camp, but if he  would come right back and sit by my side after a bit.

Awaiting orders.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, I knew it would be good, and here it is for your entertainment.

Our friend the overpacker, he was around 70 lbs this trip. The way out killed him, lots of waiting. He kept up on the way back though after eating up all his food supplies, still way too heavy though.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Good thread OP.

At least your overpacker buddy gets out and does it!!  Hilarious!

You have a good dog.  You must take good care of him by the look he's giving you in the pick.

They are great.

Thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Everytime I go out I take less stuff. Less clothing, less food, less light.  I just did three days in PA and my pack was about 20 pounds including a one-man tent (not including the AR pistol I took along).  I brought less than 1000 calories per day (stripped MRE components and Cliff Bars) and still brought food home.  Did 34 miles total - 10, 19, and 5 on the last day.  Only thing was it was hard to keep the one Nalgene bottle I carry full up on the ridge but I got by.  I might increase to two liters in the future just because finding filterable water can be a pain sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I might increase to two liters in the future just because finding filterable water can be a pain sometimes.
View Quote

This always depends a lot on your area, but I've found 2-3 liters can get me 4-5 miles; southern AT terrain with high temps and humidity.  Still, I always try to top off when we cross a stream or spring.  Water weight is one of those essentials you hate to carry but know you can't go far without it.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This always depends a lot on your area, but I've found 2-3 liters can get me 4-5 miles; southern AT terrain with high temps and humidity.  Still, I always try to top off when we cross a stream or spring.  Water weight is one of those essentials you hate to carry but know you can't go far without it.  

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I might increase to two liters in the future just because finding filterable water can be a pain sometimes.

ROCK6

Humidity was a bastard today and Friday. I took 1 liter going in and had it gone before 4 miles. Today I had 2 liters to start and it was gone at 6 miles. I was sweating it right back out though, My shirt and pads were soaked.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Humidity was a bastard today and Friday. I took 1 liter going in and had it gone before 4 miles. Today I had 2 liters to start and it was gone at 6 miles. I was sweating it right back out though, My shirt and pads were soaked.
View Quote

Yeah, I switched to the ULA pack and it doesn't have the ventilation like my Ospreys...my shirt, shorts and drawers remained soaked for days.  Twice, I built a fire just to dry them out as they wouldn't dry out overnight and we didn't have enough sun or breeze to get the job done.  Having grown up where humidity was less of a factor and most the heat was dry, the higher heat index due to humidity is deceptive when it comes to heat exhaustion.  I've adapted, but you can't gauge dehydration with most of the dry-heat symptoms and just being soaked in sweat can be deceptive by itself.  With a good breeze, being constantly soaked can make you think your cooling off, but you can quickly become dehydrated from the inside out and miss the common symptoms.  Constant hydration and checking your urine color is a simple gauge...high heat-index due to humidity is a butt kicker.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice pics and looks like a fun time.  I see the pad, did you use a tent or tarp shelter on this one?

I love using a tarp but right now in my AO the deer flys will drive you crazy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nice pics and looks like a fun time.  I see the pad, did you use a tent or tarp shelter on this one?

View Quote

Tent, the mosquitos were bad enough, but the deer flies were terrible.

Not a single issue inside the tent though. I think I am going to pick up a bug net and add a ridgeline to my tarp for it though. Should save me 2 lbs that way.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not a single issue inside the tent though. I think I am going to pick up a bug net and add a ridgeline to my tarp for it though. Should save me 2 lbs that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

back when we were running survival courses for the kids here we used simple plastic sheeting stretched over about 14 inches off the ground in all weathers.  it was really amazing how well it worked.  to this day a sheet accompanies me on many back country skitreks and jaunts.  punch a hole for the noggin and you have a poncho.  leave it whole for a tent, etc.

lighter than a tent but obviously not the same thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top