Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2014 6:09:34 AM EDT
Sierra Designs Flashlight 2

(not my pic - I stole it from the web, but my tent is identical)

The rain fly on my 10yr old SD Lightning 2 had started to deteriorate (sticky with crumbling tape), I discovered last weekend.  SD gave me a huge discount on a new tent when I asked them about buying a new fly.  Big +1 for SD.
So far, it looks nice.  I'm a hammocker these days, but I need a 2 person tent for trips with my wife, solo hunting trips, etc.  The inside of this thing is huge for the weight.  Setup is a snap, ventilation is great, and the awning/gear storage system is slick.

SD's site for specs:
http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/flashlight-2

Anyone else got any new shelters lately?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
We're huge Sierra Designs fans.

I just picked up a new Flash 2 and Jubilee 65 pack for the wife.  We have an older Bedouin 8 tent, which we used extensively before we bought a travel trailer.

Taking the whole family out for our first inaugural backpacking trip next month.  My kids (6 & 9) are jazzed.  Looking at doing 6 miles both days, and absolutely taking our time getting to our campsite.

My other tent is a Marmot Titan 3.  Nice & roomy for me and my boy, while the girls get the Flash 2.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet tent! I ecspecilly like the near vertical walls.

I'm just so used to freestanding tents though. How hard is it to pitch by yourself?

Very cool of SD for hooking you up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet tent! I ecspecilly like the near vertical walls.

I'm just so used to freestanding tents though. How hard is it to pitch by yourself?

Very cool of SD for hooking you up.
View Quote

Easy:

Lay it out
Stake the corners
Snap in the foot pole
Stake the foot hold-out
Put in a vertical pol or trekking pole on one side, stake out
Repeat on the other side.
If it's windy, stake out the head end
Walk around and tweak the tension on all the lines with the included tensioners

I glanced over the instructions and set it up in 5 mins.  You stake it all in place first, then you're pulling against those stakes in later steps - only requires 1 person.  SD claims that it can be set up in the rain, owing to the integrated rainfly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool design & LIGHT!

Only thoughts are keep that tent down in the trees. It doesn't look like it would handle the winds above tree line....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
What is with them and the Flashlight name.

I have the SD Clip Flashlight 2 and it doesn't look like that at all.

Not my pics.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool design & LIGHT!

Only thoughts are keep that tent down in the trees. It doesn't look like it would handle the winds above tree line....
View Quote

There are places without trees?  I'm not familiar with that concept.  This is GA, where any open ground turns into a pine thicket after a year

SD supposedly wind tunnel tests their tents up to 55mph, but I wouldn't want to test that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top