Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2014 12:26:30 AM EDT
It seems I am seeing Yeti's popping up everywhere. Several people I know have gotten them. I am seeing alot of people on the road with the stickers in their windows. I just can't justify the price? What am I missing?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It seems I am seeing Yeti's popping up everywhere. Several people I know have gotten them. I am seeing alot of people on the road with the stickers in their windows. I just can't justify the price? What am I missing?
View Quote

You obviously aren't a tier 1 cooler operator. You get a cool sticker with the cool name of a cool cooler to put on your back glass so people know your cool

They are pretty damn tough and are certified bear proof, if that is actually a concern for you. They can hold ice for a LONG time IF you: 1. Use block ice and 2. Don't open it up very much at all. Other than that they are just high dollar status symbols of the outdoor world. Personally I think if your going to use a cooler like most people do (grabbing drinks and snacks out of it all day) then a decent Coleman or Igloo will serve you just as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You obviously aren't a tier 1 cooler operator. You get a cool sticker with the cool name of a cool cooler to put on your back glass so people know your cool

They are pretty damn tough and are certified bear proof, if that is actually a concern for you. They can hold ice for a LONG time IF you: 1. Use block ice and 2. Don't open it up very much at all. Other than that they are just high dollar status symbols of the outdoor world. Personally I think if your going to use a cooler like most people do (grabbing drinks and snacks out of it all day) then a decent Coleman or Igloo will serve you just as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Makes you look outdoorsy I guess. Damn, a cooler is a cooler. Mine's a 10 year old igloo. Keeps the food cold.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Pelican is much better than yeti. Better latches, better handles, better warranty and it costs much less. I wasnt about to spend an extra $100 on a yeti to get rubber strap latches, cheap ass rope handles and a 3yr warranty. No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have actually been looking into a few.. I watched my brother in law
Fill his yeti with ice and he put a few of my water bottles in it and a few hrs later I grabbed one and it had ice in it. It was almost cold enough to freeze the bottle..
They a over insulated on all sides .. The cheaper igloo Colman and so on are mildly insulated on the sides but the tops are hollow

I refuse to pay the yeti price for how little I use one so just bought a new Coleman last week

How ever I am looking at the pelicans and the ice holes as other future options
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Igloo makes the Yukon, its half the price and looks just as stout as a Yeti.
I have been using Igloo marine coolers for years. They do the job for me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I own several Yeti coolers and also give them to my customers.  For me it's all about how long the cooler will last. Mine live in the back of work trucks.  I used to use Coleman/ Igloos until I found the Yeti.  Now a cooler and all of its parts will last more than half a summer.  Hinges and latches don't break like they do on the plastic coolers.  I have now had one in my truck for 3 years with zero broken parts or pieces. It has now paid for itself. No, I don't think they keep ice any longer. And you have to lock them down or some punk kid will steal it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Roadie 20 and I like it a lot. I bought it knowing it would only be used for beach trips, tailgating, and weekend camping. It holds only enough beer for myself and I knew when I bought it. If I ever decide not to be single I'll probably get a 45 or 50.

They are expensive, but they are tough as hell and will last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Roadie 20 and I like it a lot. I bought it knowing it would only be used for beach trips, tailgating, and weekend camping. It holds only enough beer for myself and I knew when I bought it. If I ever decide not to be single I'll probably get a 45 or 50.

View Quote

You hope. The warranty is only 3yrs. Ever seen rubber last a lifetime of UV, weather, and constant stretching?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pelican is much better than yeti. Better latches, better handles, better warranty and it costs much less. I wasnt about to spend an extra $100 on a yeti to get rubber strap latches, cheap ass rope handles, a window sticker, and a 3yr warranty. No thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You hope. The warranty is only 3yrs. Ever seen rubber last a lifetime of UV, weather, and constant stretching?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any cooler with a rubber gasket is going to need replacing every so often.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I see it a lot now as well.

For the money, I'll buy a Engle or a Pelican over a Yeti any day.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Be careful leaving them in the bed of a truck. Assholes around here snatch them up all day everyday.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. The rubber overtime will give and you will own an expensive box. By the way, I have no idea who "certified" them as bear proof but "bear proof" they are not. A hunting buddy of mine found out the hard way when he left his on my back porch of thd hunting cabin. A 400lb black bear and cubs had no problem peeling it open and went through some pretty nice elk steaks
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, the TRUTH!

I have maybe 3-4 120 qt coolers, mostly Igloo Marine, most are tied shut these days, as hinges have broke over the years.

I simply can't justify the cost of a Yeti, when these work well enough for my needs.

Heck, made a BIG (4'X4'X 2')  "field improvised" cooler out of 2" rigid foam, some plywood scraps, and drywall screws when we had to get a moose home from Maine.

FWIW, I have had my Playmate lunch box since May of 1980 (date stamped on bottom in those days) and carry it every day.
It's busted all to hell, and is MOLDY inside, but still has a few years left in it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, a lot of Yeti hate. For me I bought a 35 for my Hewes flats boat as a cooler/casting platform. Yes, it's expensive, but fit my needs the best of all the coolers. Small enough for my 16' boat, fits under my truck bed cover, does not need straps to stay in place in my boat. I can literally go across the harbor in choppy conditions and it stays in place. The coolers very well built and will last a lifetime- minus the seals, although I've never heard of anyone having to replace the . The hinges and straps for the lid are very well designed and are never going to break. As far as ice goes, it will keep ice for three days straight in 90+degree heat in the back of my truck, and cold water once the ice does melt for several more days. I feel for the price you get what you pay for and it will last a long time!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I duno...but don't store your wheat thins in them...

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I think they have their place...extended car camping, long boat trips, etc....

for most people though, a simple igloo or coleman is sufficient.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing but a high priced status symbol, ohh look I have a $400 cooler (and probably $15K in credit card debt)
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nothing but a high priced status symbol, ohh look I have a $400 cooler (and probably $15K in credit card debt)
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What he said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

This.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Coach purses for men. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got three of them. Use them daily. They have paid for themselves in ice savings. Call it a gimmick, "coach purse", or whatever you like but they do what they are intended to do and will probably outlast me. The lid gasket is replaceable as are the rubber lid locks. They are only bear proof if you put a lock on the outside corner. No way are the rubber lid locks going to stop a bear from getting in there. No I do not have $15k in credit card debt and I might just go buy another one this week to piss off all the moaners.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've got three of them. Use them daily. They have paid for themselves in ice savings. Call it a gimmick, "coach purse", or whatever you like but they do what they are intended to do and will probably outlast me. The lid gasket is replaceable as are the rubber lid locks. They are only bear proof if you put a lock on the outside corner. No way are the rubber lid locks going to stop a bear from getting in there. No I do not have $15k in credit card debt and I might just go buy another one this week to piss off all the moaners.
View Quote

Cool, buy one from me

I sell them, get them at half price, and still don't use them
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]
They are quite literally the LaRue of Coolers.  Very well made, very expensive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cool, buy one from me

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, buy one from me

PM me a price on a Tundra 65 in blue plz
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd buy one for half price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cool, buy one from me

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, buy one from me

Why didn't you say so sooner?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I get Igloo marine coolers at half price too, and have ones I've been using for many years- well before the Yeti guys came up with their brilliant marketing scheme.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well I get Igloo marine coolers at half price too, and have ones I've been using for many years- well before the Yeti guys came up with their brilliant marketing scheme.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'll take one of those instead
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a Coleman Xtreme 5 for a trip to Maine last week. Filled with with ice last friday, and it's still 1/4 full of ice and some water as of an hour ago. 10 days is pretty good for a $55 WalMart cooler.

I'd love a Yeti, but can't stomach the price tag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#31]
If you need one to pull double duty as a casting platform or seat on a boat then I see the use. Maybe a few other specific purposes where the extra durability is needed. But I do see a lot of people who use them as a status symbol. I don't need one. My buddy's seals so tight it's a pain in the a$$ to open.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeti or other high end coolers may be unnecessary in some conditions, but here in the desert, where summer temps range from daytime highs over 110, and nighttime "lows" around 90, these superinsulated coolers are well worth the investment --- nothing like adult beverages on the rocks or a cold beer after four days out. Good gear is good gear --- nothing snobbish about buying the best available equipment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Be careful leaving them in the bed of a truck. Assholes around here snatch them up all day everyday.
View Quote

This is the biggest drawback to me, I always put my cooler in the bed of the truck. I can see a yeti walking away pretty easy
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I have This Grizzly cooler.
It keeps ice for much longer than my other coolers. Also, the price was right on mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I love my yeti - my family ended up getting it for me for Christmas a couple years back. There is a trick though - before you put ice in them, let them sit in the house for a couple hours. They insulate really well, meaning they keep cold or hot inside. I have heard people complain about putting ice in them, and then they get back a couple hours later and it's all melted. I use mine as a faux cambro after smoking meat on the grill, and when I open it back up it blasts steam into your face. It's great.

The price difference between Engel, Yeti, Pelican of the same size is pretty negligible. Honestly, the best thing about the yeti is the rope handles, I can easily carry a fully loaded 65 qt by myself. I have probably 15 different coolers of different sizes in my garage right now, and this is by far the easiest (most expensive). I would have a hard time paying so much for a cooler, but it is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:58:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't have a Yeti, but my employer provided me with a Brute Outdoors cooler. Very well made - just like the Yeti....very well insulated-just like the Yeti, but much cheaper. Was never a believer in the high priced coolers until I switched from using my Coleman cooler to using the Brute. I work out in West Texas and it stays in the back of my truck 24/7. Ice in these 105* days will last 3-4 days easy. During last winter, it stayed full for 3 weeks, with highs in the low 80s.  If you use a cooler regularly, the yeti/brute/ice hole/grizzly coolers are a good investment!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Any word on these Mammoth Coolers yet?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#38]
We have one. we go off grid camping for a week at a time. In August, we left on Sunday, got home the following Saturday, unloaded Sunday after church. Still had some of the block ice in it. August, lows in the 80's and highs mid 90's. Outside the camper the whole time. I freeze a couple 1 gallon jugs for my "block ice".

Gimmick or no, they work. Sure enough, eventually the rubber seals will need replacing. Just like the ones on my car doors etc. It's rubber. I suspect it costs a couple bucks to do and probably takes a few minutes to do. I can live with that. Hope to never test the bear proof part, but agree that "rating" probably is with a lock on it, not just the rubber tabs.

BTW, this is who certifies them.. actually seems kind of legit.. lol...  http://www.igbconline.org/
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Posted: 7/6/2014 4:06:56 AM CST
Pelican is much better than yeti. Better latches, better handles, better warranty and it costs much less. I wasnt about to spend an extra $100 on a yeti to get rubber strap latches, cheap ass rope handles and a 3yr warranty. No thanks.

This!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top