Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2014 9:12:00 AM EDT
I really want to try a hammock for camping as I’m simply not comfortable on a blow-up air mattress (tried everything from thick closed cell foam to Therma-Rest NeoAir xLite).

I’m failing to find a hammock that is lightweight, priced decently, and will hold me (I’m 300 pounds). My current tent is a TarpTent Moment, which with the tent + tyvek footprint +pole + stakes weighs in at 32 ounces or 2 pounds. It gives me complete protection from bugs and rain, and costs $242 - so that’s around the price range I’m looking for. I need a complete hammock sleep system (hammock + bug net + rainfly + straps + whatever special I need to use a regular insulated air mattress in there).

Does what I want even exist? They all seem to be extremely heavy with bug and rain protection, and most won’t even hold my weight (and if they do they’re $700 and weigh 7 pounds). Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've just got into the same thing, trying out different hammocks for camping.  My kids love to sleep in them so I'm thinking there might be something to their comfort also.

Most regular hammocks I have looked at are rated to 350 or 500 pounds.   However, the ones I've bought are not on the lighter side, and also are not all-in-one, rain/mosquito proof.    I've not found an all-in-one that holds that much weight yet, not within an effective price range.

Eagles Nest Outfitters has some nice lower end  hammocks, but they seem to be rated very highly by those that use them.  The ones I have looked at will hold 400 lbs, but do not have the top flap, and you'd need to put a net on for mosquito, and a tarp for rain, but this seems to be pretty common practice for those that hammock hike, due to the limited choices for the all-in-ones.  This also seems to save a decent bit of cash.  

ETA:  Take a look at this one. I've not seen very many products with almost a perfect 5 star rating with 700+ ratings.  The Amazon ratings are not perfect, but I've have found them generally to be pretty accurate.   Lots of folks really spend time putting in what they really think.

Amazon Link
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of those in my Amazon cart actually, but just the hammock (with straps) weighs more than my entire tent setup (with tent, poles, footprint, everything). With the bug netting and rainfly It would literally be double the weight of my tent...and I thought hammocks were supposed to be lighter than tents...
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a little over 300 lbs and hammock camp exclusively. I use the ENO Doublenest and found that replacing the cast lead weight carbiners with good aluminum climbing ones dropped my hammock to barely over 1 lbs carrying weight. They are about $50 if you look around online. Save your time, money and back by getting Whoopie Slings and looped webbing for the suspension as well. This will give you a ridgeline for the hammock for comfort.

With my hammock, tarp, bug net, liner, UQ, and OQ to allow camping below 0 degrees, my setup weighs less than 12 lbs.....  That is EVERYTHING. I don't know of any sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tent combos for 4 season camping that weigh that little.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

I don't need 4-season camping though, just 3. And my entire setup: tent, pole, stakes, footprint, air mattress, 15 degree down bag, air pillow, pillowcase, and shemagh (always bring one to use like a sheet), + bags for everything even (i.e. I'm still not really skimping on anything at all) weighs 100 ounces or 6.25 pounds and I've used that down to about 30 degrees with decent comfort.

12 pounds is just way too much for me (hell, my entire BOB with food for 3-days even weighs 21.5 pounds...and that uses most of the above sleep-system items). No offense meant, but there has to be something lighter out there...I would think that a tent and a hammock basically have the same material being used, just some extra cording needed to hang the hammock.

On the Woopie slings, are those by Hammock Bliss? They look good -thanks for the recommendation. I was totally lost on what type to get. everybody says that everything out there stretches, or weighs like 3 pounds for a friggin strap that goes around a tree!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

I don't need 4-season camping though, just 3. And my entire setup: tent, pole, stakes, footprint, air mattress, 15 degree down bag, air pillow, pillowcase, and shemagh (always bring one to use like a sheet), + bags for everything even (i.e. I'm still not really skimping on anything at all) weighs 100 ounces or 6.25 pounds and I've used that down to about 30 degrees with decent comfort.

12 pounds is just way too much for me (hell, my entire BOB with food for 3-days even weighs 21.5 pounds...and that uses most of the above sleep-system items). No offense meant, but there has to be something lighter out there...I would think that a tent and a hammock basically have the same material being used, just some extra cording needed to hang the hammock.

On the Woopie slings, are those by Hammock Bliss? They look good -thanks for the recommendation. I was totally lost on what type to get. everybody says that everything out there stretches, or weighs like 3 pounds for a friggin strap that goes around a tree!
View Quote

If you are only looking 30 degree 3 season stuff, my setup will be more than adequate. BN, hammock, tarp, PLUQ (poncho liner UQ), OQ and suspension are around 5 lbs for that type camping. My 12 lb setup has kept me warm at -15 degrees at the top of a ski slope. I was giving you the extremest condition weight option for comparison. Try Shug's YouTube videos and HammockForums.net for some good information. There are also a lot of good patterns and DIY projects on BushcraftUSA for hammocks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Eno junglenest or skeeter beater pro, usgi sleep pad, atlas straps, upgrade the carabineers to climbing rayed ones, and buy a 10x10 bcusa tarp from bushcraftusa.com as well as decent cordage for hanging your hammock .. Light weight sleeping bag as cover once in hammock and you will sleep like a baby. add a underquilt from kickass quilts and your good for 15 degrees easy..  This is coming from a big guy....

http://www.rei.com/product/866992/eno-junglenest-hammock

http://www.rei.com/product/840700/eno-atlas-hammock-suspension-system

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/Coyote-Tarp-10x10-tarp-10x10-coyote.htm

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/3M-Reflective-Nylon-Cord-3m-cord.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-RockLock-Screwgate-Carabiner/dp/B000LGJFYK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1404020009&sr=8-7&keywords=carabiner

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p312/_Jarbidge_River_Under_Quilt.html

http://www.amazon.com/Olive-Drab-Army-Issue-Sleeping/dp/B004X6UENK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404020169&sr=8-2&keywords=usgi+sleeping+pad
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the links - greatly appreciated. Couple questions:

How do you keep the sleeping mat in place? (I'll be using my Thermarest, which is thankfully insulated). I see all sorts of crazy stuff from straps everywhere to adding side wings to mats and such....I honestly slip off my thermarest all the time in my tent so I can only guess what a pain it'll be in a hammock.

Have you ever slept in this setup during heavy rains? Have any problem with rain being blown in from the ends of the tarp?

And last, this past weekend I had the luck to have a friend with a ENO hammock. I tried it out and it seemed really small to me (it was the single person model, not the "doublenest"). Doesn't everybody say to sleep semi-sideways in a hammock (not sideways per say, but definitely not with your head/feet in-line with the lines holding it up)? I definitely couldn't angle my body anything but perfectly straight in the hammock...there just wasn't enough material left.

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 ENO a single and a double. I am 6'1" 260 lb and the single is too small. I have slept in it 2 nights and it just is not gtg. The double nest is fine. 5 days is the longest I have camped in it but was comfy every night. I use a Army sleep system inner bag as an under quilt- just cut a slit in the head and the foot to slide hammock in. Tossed another light bag on top and was good down to about 30 deg.

I think I am going to make my next hammock myself. Googlr "tablecloth hammock" to see how. Super cheap and nice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the links - greatly appreciated. Couple questions:

How do you keep the sleeping mat in place? (I'll be using my Thermarest, which is thankfully insulated). I see all sorts of crazy stuff from straps everywhere to adding side wings to mats and such....I honestly slip off my thermarest all the time in my tent so I can only guess what a pain it'll be in a hammock.

Have you ever slept in this setup during heavy rains? Have any problem with rain being blown in from the ends of the tarp?

And last, this past weekend I had the luck to have a friend with a ENO hammock. I tried it out and it seemed really small to me (it was the single person model, not the "doublenest"). Doesn't everybody say to sleep semi-sideways in a hammock (not sideways per say, but definitely not with your head/feet in-line with the lines holding it up)? I definitely couldn't angle my body anything but perfectly straight in the hammock...there just wasn't enough material left.

View Quote

You can't keep a mat in place as well as you can keep an UQ (under quilt) in place. Poncho liner under quilts are quick, easy and work quite well. Couple that with a liner that goes under that and you are rocking. Just take some silcloth and bunch it up to snug up against the bottom of your PLUQ. Call it a "Vapor Barrier" for your butt....  Here is a link to a couple that makes them:  2qzq

I live in Western Washington and camp all year long. It gets VERY squishy, so the underliner is very important for both warmth as well as keeping you dry. Make sure you leave the straps/Whoopie Sling ends dangling so water drips down those instead of running right down into your hammock with you. I take one end of my tarp all the way to the tree so I also have a place to hang my pack. If you set it up correctly and pick a relatively protected spot, you won't have any issues with rain blowing in from the ends.

Lastly, the single nest seems to be made for little people. If you get the Doublenest you will have plenty of room to sleep at an angle. If you do not put a ridgeline on your hammock it makes sleeping sideways MUCH more difficult so many of the all in 1 hammocks like the Skeeter Beeter restrict that ability to sleep at an angle as well as piecing a full system together out of individual parts (ie separate bugnet, hammock, UQ, liner, etc.)

Too bad you aren't out here in WA/OR area because I could at least take you out to see how this stuff all works. Hit me up if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Love camping in my hammock:

I'm a big guy, 6'4" 260lbs and sleep awesome in this thing.  It's a Grand Trunk with integrated bug net, not sure of model #.  I use Emo Slap-Strap Pro for wrapping around the tree or in this case my truck.  I have started using a Thermarest sleeping pad inside as even in the summer your exposed back gets cool.

Best nights of sleep outdoors ever in one of these.  I really haven't tried it in the rain with a fly yet however.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a big guy who hikes long distances.  6'2, 400lbs.

My pack is usually pretty heavy for my weeklong mountain trips, so switching to a hammock made a ton of sense.  Finding gear that is made for big guys is tough and sometimes you have to make your own.  Don't skimp on things and your hammock camping will be much better for it.  Underquilts are the way to go.  I tried pads, and they work, a little.  Buy an underquilt.

My hammock is a two person parachute silk hammock from Overstock.com

My underquilt is from Jacks R Better.  Underquilts rock!  If it is warm out, just reach out and pull it off your butt, you cool off quickly.

My sleeping bag is a down bag rated to 10 degrees

My tarp is from Warbonnet Outdoors.  The Superfly.

I use slap straps, which do stretch, but the stretch is manageable.  After a few hangs you know how high you have to hang them to keep your butt off the ground.  

I sewed my own bug netting onto the hammock.  It's not hard and I got to use magnets!  I don't have any pics of that yet.

Here is a pic of my setup in Montana in the Beartooths.

And one of my backyard hammock stand.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I slept in that setup every night for over a year.  I have not replaced a thing and all is well.

I do not sleep diagonal, I hang the hammock tight and sleep straight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered a WarBonnet Blackbird XLC with Whoopie straps. Going to use a regular blue tarp overtop of it, and a USGI poncho liner underneath. If it turns out I like sleeping inside in a hammock I'll get some nicer top and bottom gear.

What do you guys think of the Jarbidge River Under Quilt? 3-season, little over a pound, and for $100 looks pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ordered a WarBonnet Blackbird XLC with Whoopie straps. Going to use a regular blue tarp overtop of it, and a USGI poncho liner underneath. If it turns out I like sleeping inside in a hammock I'll get some nicer top and bottom gear.

What do you guys think of the Jarbidge River Under Quilt? 3-season, little over a pound, and for $100 looks pretty good to me.
View Quote

Same underquilt I have in multicam .. Very cozy and easy to use

As far as tarps, buy the coyote one I linked above from BCUSA.com. $60 10x10 and can be used sooooo many ways.

As far as the sleeping pad moving. My trick is to use a Recon T1 sleeping bag and insert the pad into the bag, then lay that into the hammock. Used a secont Recon bag as a overquilt and was way warm in 20 degree temps the last time I was out. No top bag if its warm out.

SUPER deal on $150 3lb Recon T1 bag for $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Assault-Systems-T-1-Sleeping-Bag-Olive-Drab-/261514523096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce37af1d8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Assault-Systems-T-1-Sleeping-Bag-Black-/261526175167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce42cbdbf
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought most people don't use sleeping mats when they're using an underquilt? ...or is that for when it's really cold out? (I only do 3 season camping, and am hoping I'll be fine only with the torso-size Jarbidge underquilt)

The XLC, being "plus" size, has an 11' ridgeline and a 10' tarp won't overrun it enough and you can get water into the hammock (so people have told me). For $10 more than the 12x10 BCUSA tarp I can get the specific one by WarBonnet made for the Blackbird XLC so when the time comes that's probably the best option.

Question on tarps: unless you're getting a really oversized one, every tarp I've seen leaves the ends of the hammock totally open to the elements. There's no room to pull the flaps in so rain can't blow inside the hammock. I've been in some nasty windy rain storms...how do hammocks fare in weather like this? I know my tent is always fine with it's bathtub floor and protection all the way around.

For the sleeping bag I have a nice 15º Montbell ultralight Down bag I'll be using. I assume with the Jarbidge being a torso-only underquilt (leaving my feet at a minimum un-insulated), that my sleeping bag will be fine to keep my feet warm in the footbox? ...don't want to drop $100 on an underquilt when I can spend just a little more (and add yet a little more weight and bulk) and get a full-size one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought most people don't use sleeping mats when they're using an underquilt? ...or is that for when it's really cold out? (I only do 3 season camping, and am hoping I'll be fine only with the torso-size Jarbidge underquilt)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can't see using a pad with a UQ. I've been down in the low 20s with a UQ and TQ.

The XLC, being "plus" size, has an 11' ridgeline and a 10' tarp won't overrun it enough and you can get water into the hammock (so people have told me). For $10 more than the 12x10 BCUSA tarp I can get the specific one by WarBonnet made for the Blackbird XLC so when the time comes that's probably the best option.

I love my Toxaway tarp. It's got a 12' ridgeline.

Question on tarps: unless you're getting a really oversized one, every tarp I've seen leaves the ends of the hammock totally open to the elements. There's no room to pull the flaps in so rain can't blow inside the hammock. I've been in some nasty windy rain storms...how do hammocks fare in weather like this? I know my tent is always fine with it's bathtub floor and protection all the way around.

I've been in some heavy storms and just pitch the sides steeper. If I'm expecting bad wind/rain then I take the 11x10 JRB rectangle tarp. It's a beast with 21 tie-outs for plenty of pitching options.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been in some heavy storms and just pitch the sides steeper. If I'm expecting bad wind/rain then I take the 11x10 JRB rectangle tarp. It's a beast with 21 tie-outs for plenty of pitching options.
View Quote

But it seems like it doesn't matter how steep the sides will be if the front and back of the hammock (facing the trees on both ends) is wide open. The physical shape of tarps like the Toxaway (which is the main shape I usually see) like this:

won't allow for the ends to be closed. If it's not a problem it's not a problem, but I don't see how a gust of wind won't drive rain onto your non-waterproof hammock/underquilt/sleeping bag/yourself/etc. when the ends are always completely open even with a pretty steep pitch like such:

I've seen there's add-ons like the WarBonnet door kit, but I would like it all in one and not add $75 to the price of the tarp + extra weight.

On a side note, regarding weight, the setup I've chosen so far seems to be on the higher-end spectrum of gear (i.e. pretty lightweight) and we're at 2lb 4oz for the hammock+straps, 11oz for something like the WarBonnet Edge tarp (with open ends), 20oz underquilt, 39oz for my 15* down bag = 6.625 pounds. My original tent setup (tent, footpring, pole, stakes, sleeping bag, sleeping mat) was 5.39 pounds so we're not grossly off in weight which is surprising and good. (and I'm not counting my pillow, pillowcase, and shemagh I usually bring for comfort).
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Three posts down on this page , 75 pages of BCUSA tarp setups

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/13135-BCUSA-Tarp-Shelter-Thread/page66

Shows a setup over a hammock with a 10x10 BCUSA tarp setup with closed ends. Can do way more with the BCUSA tarp than you can with many of the other funny cut tarps.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Three posts down on this page , 75 pages of BCUSA tarp setups

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/13135-BCUSA-Tarp-Shelter-Thread/page66

Shows a setup over a hammock with a 10x10 BCUSA tarp setup with closed ends. Can do way more with the BCUSA tarp than you can with many of the other funny cut tarps.
View Quote

I know everybody loves the BCUSA tarp, but there's a big problem with performance vs. price vs. weight. The 10x10' BCUSA won't fit the Blackbird XLC because of it's 11' ridgeline, so I would have to use the 12x10'. The 12x10' BCUSA may very well be more versatile in terms of setup-ability than the normal-cut hammock-specific tarps, but it also costs $163 for the "Ultralight" version that weighs 25 ounces. When you compare it to the Edge tarp for example (made for the XLC) at $85 and 11.25 ounces, it's a no-brainer in terms of weight for the money.

If I wanted as much versatility as the BCUSA tarp (i.e. the ability to fold in the ends of the tarp around the hammock), there's the Superfly tarp by Warbonnet (just using this brand as an example since it's by the same manufacturer as the hammock), you're at $130 and 19 ounces - still cheaper AND lighter than the BCUSA offering.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
The tarp I posted earlier should clear up your questions about doors and closing it against the wind.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
ENO all day...I got the two person and I'm 6-4 225lbs.  Fits me and then some.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The tarp I posted earlier should clear up your questions about doors and closing it against the wind.
View Quote

Yes it did, thanks. Went with the Superfly as well because the end flaps are built into the tarp.

How do you easily get in/out of the enclosure? I'm guessing you have to physically remove and re-place a stake that's holding a flap in place?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#24]
some GREAT information for us Big Guys who love to camp...

Tag-gage
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
To summarize and help us big guys out, I guess I should list what I found to be the ideal setup (with a balance of performance, weight, and somewhat price as well).

Hammock: WarBonnet Blackbird XLC (comes with bug netting and tree straps), $200, 36 oz.

Rain Fly/Tarp: WarBonnet SuperFly (choose this because I can close side flaps to keep out rain), $130, 19 oz.

Total weight of Hammock w/ bug net and straps + tarp is 76 ounces or 4.75 pounds.

Then I also got an underquilt: Arrowhead Equipment Kick Ass Quilts Jarbidge River Underquilt, $100, 20 oz.
---Need insulation for the footbox of the hammock since the above quilt is only a 2/3 or 3/4 length quilt, $15 for foam pad, 1 oz.

So this hammock setup, which offers the same protection from the elements as my 2 pound tent, weighs 237% more (over double the weight). I'm sure if you're a smaller guy who doesn't need as high a weight limit, and don't care about having side protection from wind and rain, you could shave off maybe 10 ounces...but either way I think a hammock setup will still be a LOT heavier than a tent setup (and about $100 more in my case). Let's just hope I find it's so much more comfortable that it'll be worth the extra weight and money.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is my setup. I have never really worried about "cold" as I usually do 3-season with it.

Eno Double hammock
Kammock Python straps
550 cord  and Harbor Freight tarp to create rain fly
Entire setup was less than $100  

I was going to buy a special "hammock fly" but my setup works fine.

I used it often in Northern AZ and once here in TX. I need to get a skeeter net for here in TX.  One time I had to go where I new there would be tons of bugs I did ground camping and took my Catoma setup.

I through a bag in it based on expected weather and am good to go.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes it did, thanks. Went with the Superfly as well because the end flaps are built into the tarp.

How do you easily get in/out of the enclosure? I'm guessing you have to physically remove and re-place a stake that's holding a flap in place?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I generally tie down one end and use a small titanium snap link on the other.  I peg and tie down the off side ring and then snap link the one I will use to the stationary ring.  

Most of the time I set it up in a patio setting, with my hiking poles as the posts.  That way, when I am near a lake, river or nice view, I see a heck of a lot more when I am in the hammock.

I made a photo because I am bored...

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful birds there ;) and a great idea. I'm going to pickup one not those snaplinks and give that setup a try. Maybe I can try it with fastex buckles as well (have a bunch laying around from modifying gear) - those might be easier to connect and disconnect I think. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not really trying to be mean, but its going to sound that way. You're worried about the difference of a couple pounds. If you ate salad and protein shakes for the next couple weeks, you would drop more than that before your next camping trip. When I was 305lbs it was damn hard to carry a 20lb pack up a mountain, Now at 260 I carried a 55lb pack on a 15 miler through the mud without any problems.

As far as hammock camping goes, I got a double hammock from ENO, and a tarp for rain. Don't have any bug net. I'm looking to get one. But as a plus, if you go camping with the wife and have a double then it halves the weight just like a tent. If you have a single, then the other person has to carry a whole setup as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, but if I weighed 300 pounds and carried a pack that weighed a couple pounds less, or weighed 200 pounds and carried a pack that weighs a couple pounds less, you're still carrying a couple less pounds no matter what which is good any way you look at it.

Your pack weighs 55 pounds. Mine honestly hasn't weighed that much since the 80's (ok, maybe 1992) doing the Appalachian train with the BoyScouts with a nylon external frame backpack. Using my philosophy of lighter weight through every item in my entire pack (including the pack itself), including 3 days worth of food, and water (and a water filtration system even), I'm at 21.7 pounds. That's 40% of what your pack weighs...you can't tell me you wouldn't want your pack to weigh 60% less.

Going "high-end" on gear can also mean more comfort in many cases as well (with the downside of almost always meaning more money - which I honestly don't mind because of the benefits). Things like a footbox on the $200 WarBonnet hammock is going to make it a lot more comfortable to sleep in versus something like the $70 ENO Doublenest. The extra features like being able to get a solid top cover for the WarBonnet for winter camping, the double layer to be able to put a sleeping mat between the layers, the storage bin on the mosquito netting, the ability to upgrade model-specific custom suspension for it, having other manufacturers making gear specifically for the WarBonnet because of it's great design and popularity thereof, just really make it a no-brainer in my opinion.

Even things like dropping more money than I'll even list here (less I look crazy) on a nice lightweight, warm, and super-comfy down bag (with a lifetime warranty) has been worth it's weight in gold (and having my 15 degree bag compress to half the size of my other 40 degree synthetic bags is just another bonus - even when I'm doing car camping that extra space comes in handy in my little car). Most of my gear follows this same mantra.

This also helps me out with my other hobby of kayaking when I have to fit everything into the teeny-tiny white water kayak's storage hatch since with nearly everything being lightweight usually means it takes up less space as well (you really don't want something like your sleeping bag for example to be strapped to the outside of a kayak you might have to roll because it's too big to fit inside the kayak with all the other gear).

I also drop more money on AR-15 uppers/lowers/parts by Noveske, AAC, Mega, and Daniel Defense because I like the features and the quality. Resale is also always greater on higher-end stuff like this (just as it is on camping gear). It's just win/win/win/win all over the way I see it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Some people pack smarter, some just work harder. Everyone can pick how they pack.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Beautiful birds there ;) and a great idea. I'm going to pickup one not those snaplinks and give that setup a try. Maybe I can try it with fastex buckles as well (have a bunch laying around from modifying gear) - those might be easier to connect and disconnect I think. Thanks.
View Quote

I like that idea, with the buckles.

One other tip I had, put and extra loop on the stake rope for the door in windy conditions.  That way you can snaplink to the loop rather than the other tarp ring.  This will keep your door taut.  I have used my tarp in heavy thunderstorms with wind and the worst thing that happened was the end of the hammock got a little wet after 4 hours of rain.  It never reaches my sleeping bag.

Makes sure your driplines are in places and tight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Makes sure your driplines are in places and tight.
View Quote

I'm going to have to see how the whoopsie suspension is setup to see if I'll have to mess with using something extra as a drip line. ...~2 weeks until the hammock gets to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes, but if I weighed 300 pounds and carried a pack that weighed a couple pounds less, or weighed 200 pounds and carried a pack that weighs a couple pounds less, you're still carrying a couple less pounds no matter what which is good any way you look at it.

Your pack weighs 55 pounds. Mine honestly hasn't weighed that much since the 80's (ok, maybe 1992) doing the Appalachian train with the BoyScouts with a nylon external frame backpack. Using my philosophy of lighter weight through every item in my entire pack (including the pack itself), including 3 days worth of food, and water (and a water filtration system even), I'm at 21.7 pounds. That's 40% of what your pack weighs...you can't tell me you wouldn't want your pack to weigh 60% less.

Going "high-end" on gear can also mean more comfort in many cases as well (with the downside of almost always meaning more money - which I honestly don't mind because of the benefits). Things like a footbox on the $200 WarBonnet hammock is going to make it a lot more comfortable to sleep in versus something like the $70 ENO Doublenest. The extra features like being able to get a solid top cover for the WarBonnet for winter camping, the double layer to be able to put a sleeping mat between the layers, the storage bin on the mosquito netting, the ability to upgrade model-specific custom suspension for it, having other manufacturers making gear specifically for the WarBonnet because of it's great design and popularity thereof, just really make it a no-brainer in my opinion.

Even things like dropping more money than I'll even list here (less I look crazy) on a nice lightweight, warm, and super-comfy down bag (with a lifetime warranty) has been worth it's weight in gold (and having my 15 degree bag compress to half the size of my other 40 degree synthetic bags is just another bonus - even when I'm doing car camping that extra space comes in handy in my little car). Most of my gear follows this same mantra.

This also helps me out with my other hobby of kayaking when I have to fit everything into the teeny-tiny white water kayak's storage hatch since with nearly everything being lightweight usually means it takes up less space as well (you really don't want something like your sleeping bag for example to be strapped to the outside of a kayak you might have to roll because it's too big to fit inside the kayak with all the other gear).

I also drop more money on AR-15 uppers/lowers/parts by Noveske, AAC, Mega, and Daniel Defense because I like the features and the quality. Resale is also always greater on higher-end stuff like this (just as it is on camping gear). It's just win/win/win/win all over the way I see it.

View Quote

Thats fine. I just figured it was worth mentioning, because sometimes folks forget that there are places besides the pack where they can cut. My pack weighed 55 lbs because even though we were slogging through mud, there wasn't any filterable water so I had 8L of water on me. I also need to spend some $ on a lighter sleeping bag, and had to carry a tent because there weren't any trees where I'd have been able to hang my hammock. I dont plan on a 55lb pack again any time soon. But I also plan on being lighter myself before my next camping trip.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have 2 ENO a single and a double. I am 6'1" 260 lb and the single is too small. I have slept in it 2 nights and it just is not gtg. The double nest is fine. 5 days is the longest I have camped in it but was comfy every night. I use a Army sleep system inner bag as an under quilt- just cut a slit in the head and the foot to slide hammock in. Tossed another light bag on top and was good down to about 30 deg.

I think I am going to make my next hammock myself. Googlr "tablecloth hammock" to see how. Super cheap and nice.
View Quote

My 90x156" tablecloth hammock w/ whoopie slings.

I can practically cocoon myself in it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top