Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:27:49 AM EDT
What do you guys use to waterproof backpacks, bags, etc?

Do some of you also put permethrin on them, and if so in what order?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I waterproof what I put in my bags rather than the bag.  I'd rather let any water that might find its way into my bag to drain out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used the Nikwax product on one of my bags that I carry books and work stuff in as well as two of my camera bags.  This is the stuff I used Nikwax.  I need to buy some more to do another daypack I've been using.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
treating with permethrin is really for outer clothes, not necessarily equipment. A product like nikwax (which is just aqueous wax) might work, but then your bag might also breath about as well as a garbage bag, and I have no idea if they would combine in the expected ways.

If you do insist on treating your bag with permethrin, read the dosage instruction very carefully, wear long rubber gloves, and do it in a well ventilated area. Getting that stuff on contact with your skin while handling for even a few minutes is BAD NEWS.

For outer garments, dunk, maybe soak for a few and hang it out do dry....don't over do it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I waterproof what I put in my bags rather than the bag.  I'd rather let any water that might find its way into my bag to drain out.
View Quote

Plastic garbage bags are your friend.  Stuff the plastic bag into your stuff sacks and put your dry gear inside of them.  Also, a pack cover is a good idea.

Treating your pack and other gear with Permetrin is a good idea.  I treat tents, fart sacks, etc...  It will just bead up and roll off of waterproofed fabrics.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
SealLine dry bags are what you want instead.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, waterproof the contents of the bag, not the bag itself. If the bag leaks everything gets wet. If one of your inner bags leaks, everything else is still dry. I've always used heavy duty ziploc bags, putting as little as possible in each bag to limit damage if one leaks or I accidentally tear it. For my typical hikes and weekend camping trips that's adequate, for longer trips I'd definitely use real dry bags instead. Wet clothes can be life-threatening.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife and I get pretty soaked in some areas we backpack; more recently finishing up the AT through GA and into NC.

I double up, even as a light-weight backpacker.  We use the heavier trash-compactor bags (perfect size for most backpacks) for most of the gear inside the pack.  I also have a light, cuben-fiber pack cover...really to just keep the pack from absorbing too much water and getting heavier.  The trash-compactor bags are light, but much heavier-duty than a garbage bag.  They are also much cheaper than a dedicated dry bag and if they get a tear, they are much easier to replace.  I used one for a 60 mile hike (5-days) and then a two-day LNT course...no issues and it's still in excellent shape.

Additionally, some items get a little extra protection such as electronics, sleep clothes and of course our food bag (regular dry bag).  

Permethrin should really be used on all your clothing and footwear; don't waste it on the pack.  We both made a mistake during a class in the Shenandoah.  After we set up camp, we were told to put our "camp shoes" on which were just sandals.  Neither of us treated our sandals and I plucked about a dozen ticks off my feet...in that situation we should have kept the treated socks and hiking shoes/boots on.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I use canvas backpacks about 90% of the time, so I use a lot of Sno-Seal to keep the oilcloth type properties. If I use my more modern backpack (Osprey Aether), then I just do as everyone else says and get waterproof stuff sacks. Construction trash bags work really well, too. I use those if I plan on dual purposing them for insulation beds for minimalist type camping.

As for bug juice on my kit, nope....  Once I get my fire going, I smoke out everything with fresh boughs pretty good to help keep the bug numbers down. If hunting, I use a ThermoCell and EarthScent to keep my scent more Earthy and less Smokey the Bear.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

treating with permethrin is really for outer clothes, not necessarily equipment. A product like nikwax (which is just aqueous wax) might work, but then your bag might also breath about as well as a garbage bag, and I have no idea if they would combine in the expected ways.

If you do insist on treating your bag with permethrin, read the dosage instruction very carefully, wear long rubber gloves, and do it in a well ventilated area. Getting that stuff on contact with your skin while handling for even a few minutes is BAD NEWS.

For outer garments, dunk, maybe soak for a few and hang it out do dry....don't over do it.
View Quote
Yeah, be careful with that stuff.  (I hadn't heard the skin warning, but ventilated area is important.)  Also, before it's dry, it will KILL your cats.  Do not let cats anywhere near it while wet and I wouldn't let a cat "play" in a treated tent or something even if it is dry.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, be careful with that stuff.  (I hadn't heard the skin warning, but ventilated area is important.)  Also, before it's dry, it will KILL your cats.  Do not let cats anywhere near it while wet and I wouldn't let a cat "play" in a treated tent or something even if it is dry.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Permethrin is very safe to handle.  I wouldn't be drinking it but getting some on the skin for short periods of time won't hurt you.

I recently spent about 10 days outside in some heavily tick and chigger infested areas.  I treated my clothes.  Others out there did not.  They got various tick and chigger bites.  I got none.  I'm convinced that it works well.

Going to be going to my property Monday to do some mowing with my tractor and I just treated my clothes that I'll be wearing with permethrin.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
If I know where I am headed is definitely going to be a wet area, I usually bring my Arc'teryx Arrakis pack.  I have yet to get any water inside that pack.  A little spendy, but well worth it to me.  Cheaper option is to use heavy duty trash compactor bags.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Use these for packing your stuff in a pack to keep your stuff dry.  If you want to keep your pack dry, then bring a pack cover for it.  Those waterproof bags are awesome.  

There are also various versions of those same type of waterproof bags at Walmart in the camping section.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't waterproof my bags, but I spray the hell out of everything with permethrin.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Permethrin is bugspray for people clothese.

A DWR will breathe, but come close to waterproofing clothes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Use these for packing your stuff in a pack to keep your stuff dry.  If you want to keep your pack dry, then bring a pack cover for it.  Those waterproof bags are awesome.  

There are also various versions of those same type of waterproof bags at Walmart in the camping section.
View Quote
CR,

Any idea what that dry bag weighs?

It's a bit less expensive then most, but I don't want it if it weighs a pound...

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CR,  

It's a bit less expensive then most, but I don't want it if it weighs a pound...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CR,  

I don't know for certain but I would guess a couple ounces at most.  They are very light.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#17]
For my packs I buy the cans of shit that is safe for gortex, clean the pack, apply the spray, dry, repeat two or three times. I use seal line bags for insides. A wet pack can add a LOT of weight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top