Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
Pretty much of a solo guy here...I basically NEED to get out and get away from people on these trips...

I've done some group outings before with anywhere from 1-3 other people, but for several reasons I just don't get that relaxed feeling that i get when I go solo...
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a group of friends I like to go with.

If I go solo I feel like it's just a waste of time. I could be home with my family, working, or doing a million other things instead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Solo in my day.
However if it was really rough country I did not mind an experienced friend coming along.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
2 maybe 3 people tops.

More than that and you have the "too many chiefs" problem.  That, and some tool ALWAYS forgets an essential and expects everyone else to carry him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Solo, in the high Sierras.  I can't be bothered with other people's agendas, when I'm chasing my own.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much of a solo guy here...I basically NEED to get out and get away from people on these trips...

I've done some group outings before with anywhere from 1-3 other people, but for several reasons I just don't get that relaxed feeling that i get when I go solo...
View Quote

Same for me;it's all about the peace and quiet, and doing things on my own schedule. If it's just a day trip I don't mind 1 or 2 friends tagging along, but our schedules are all so screwed up that seldom happens anymore.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Solo, in the high Sierras.  I can't be bothered with other people's agendas, when I'm chasing my own.
View Quote

Same here. Yosemite and the Central Sierras is my backyard. The lack of water this year is depressing. Google Earth Edison Lake and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I do solo trips at least once a month but there are a few places I have found nice enough to invite a select few to hike out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Solo. To hike with a partner would negate a big reason for why I hike.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I like both solo and going with a small group of others.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I did quite a bit of solo climbing and backcountry when I was younger, was not all that safe. I still hunt elk alone most of the time. It is best if you have one or two people to go with that you really enjoy spending time with, who have the same skill level, and the same mind set, and same appreciation for what you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here for the most part although my Wife would kill me if I left her behind.

We like going by ourselves mostly so we don't have to worry about what other people feel like doing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did quite a bit of solo climbing and backcountry when I was younger, was not all that safe. I still hunt elk alone most of the time. It is best if you have one or two people to go with that you really enjoy spending time with, who have the same skill level, and the same mind set, and same appreciation for what you are doing.
View Quote

Problem is finding people like that is very difficult.  Out of the current group of people I have to choose from now, some wouldn't be able to keep up and others would simply talk too much or otherwise make too much noise....
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I use to be more of a solo hiker and still would prefer being outdoors alone than anywhere else.  Fortunately, my wife has always been a big outdoors lover and in the past decade or so has really taken to backpacking...she's been the perfect hiking partner and we often do 50-100 mile trips together.  We both use hammocks, so, it's not your romantic outing, but we get along great and enjoy each other's company.  In larger groups, I just end up working too hard...the larger the group the lazier they typically are and I get little to know peace or enjoyment.  I do volunteer to help when taking teens out backpacking; I know what I'm getting into and can accept the hassle.  What kills me are lazy adults...and yes, most often forget something.  

My son is coming along as a good partner, but I can't keep up with him anymore (he's 15); he'll literally run the route with backpack and barefoot.  Still, he's been a good hiking buddy and doesn't complain.  So, if I can hike with my wife or son, I'll go solo unless I'm volunteering to help with a group.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer solo.  No complaining and no trying to match pace or expectations.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Now, all that said, there ARE trips in the Sierra Nevadas which are safer with someone else.

The Sierra High Route comes to mind.  Roper has written a book about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_High_Route

The SHR might be a real bad idea for a solo hiker.  2 or 3 would be better.  Wouldn't be such a hot idea for
beginners, either.  Maybe even me!  A solo hiker who had significant trouble, would VANISH on this route.

Ima do this route, one day.

I think Jason Klass has a website detailing this trip.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2 maybe 3 people tops.

More than that and you have the "too many chiefs" problem.  That, and some tool ALWAYS forgets an essential and expects everyone else to carry him.
View Quote

Had a guy forget his BOOTS. I consider that to be an essential. Dude drove out to the trail head in flip flops. We uninvited him on the spot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Solo or sometimes with the wife. Love the solitude in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Had a guy forget his BOOTS. I consider that to be an essential. Dude drove out to the trail head in flip flops. We uninvited him on the spot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 maybe 3 people tops.

Did he ask if anyone has any extra boots he can borrow?

I had a similar situation years ago, guy showed up to the trailhead in birkenstocks and asked if anyone had brought a spare pair of boots....this was a 10 or 12 mile up and back hike with a 4000 foot gain in elevation...half the group wanted to coddle the guy and change the hike to something much less challenging...the other half told that half no way, so we ended up splitting up into two different groups.

that was pretty much the last time I did something with a group of people.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm 24 years old. Not a whole lot to do in KS and don't have too much opportunity to get out of the state. I've always wanted to go to Colorado. I'm usually camping at a lake by myself and some have trails that are a few miles long. It's hard to find someone who is into the outdoors. Most people I know or talk to won't go to the lake unless its in a camper or RV. I like spending a few days out there in a tent or hammock. I've opened up more to try to find people with similar interests but it seems like shooting, fishing, hunting, and camping will be done solo for a while longer. Not too many people my age are willing. It's "too hot, too cold, too windy, too humid" or any other excuse they can use.

I just sold my canoe today (thought I'd have more people willing to go than I do) and am in the market for a Kayak now. Lighter, easier to haul around, and one person. I'm researching those as I type. Now of the Arkansas actually had water in it where I live I'd be all set. We've had ~17 inches of rain in the past month or so and it is still dry for a mile or so where I would put in at. Then it starts to puddle and a small stream where I'd take out at.

Back to the original question. I'd rather have company. I still have a blast going by myself but having company of one or two others would be a nice change.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Solo. Every other year or so I head out west and base camp while doing 3-7 day backpacking excursions, always alone. I don't want someone else to set the pace and I want to do and see what I want, not what someone else wants to do and see.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Solo unless it is a technical trip, then at most 3 people including myself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I usually don't take anyone with me its usually just me and my German shepherd Bishop . Every now and then ill bring my girlfriend with me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
With the wife.  She moves like a mountain goat.  I certainly don't want to go any faster!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Headed to Colorado this week for 6 days by myself.

I wouldn't mind a parnter but I'm also ok by myself.

I also do group "camping" with other dads and our kids.  That is fun as a group.  But as far as hitting trails and such and serious "backpacking" I wouldn't want too big a group.  I think 4 would be the max size.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top