Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2014 8:55:56 AM EDT
teach me about them. I am looking for a 65 qt and thats all I know.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you looking to do with it? Weekend family camping trip or 2 week expeditions with no access to additional ice?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
There is another cooler thread where a bunch of us gave our personal experiences. Seek it out for good info
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you looking to do with it? Weekend family camping trip or 2 week expeditions with no access to additional ice?
View Quote

Road trips, and when I go off roading. We are out a lot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is another cooler thread where a bunch of us gave our personal experiences. Seek it out for good info
View Quote

Where I searched for it and coolers for amo storage came up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1632489_Are_Yeti_coolers_worth_that_much_____.html
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1632489_Are_Yeti_coolers_worth_that_much_____.html

Oh I have been active in that one but they are talking about yetis a lot and I actually think I am going to co with a coleman extreme for around 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
teach me about them. I am looking for a 65 qt and thats all I know.
View Quote

I think you will find the guys here are helpful  

BUT.....

It really helps if you ask questions with a little information. ie: max budge, use, etc.

How in the hell is anyone supposed to know what to help you with? Do yo want space shuttle tiles or throw away Styrofoam?

If you want my opinion, I would base my purchase on two parameters; insulation value and price. Get the highest insulation for the price. Marine coolers are white for a reason / you need to keep the forest green cooler out of the sun. Any major brand will hold up as well as the other under normal use...
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I dont really have a budget,   I have narrowed it down to these 3. It will be used for road trips, vacations, camping, off roading trips and parties.

http://www.rei.com/product/866636/igloo-super-tough-stx-72-sportsman-cooler-72-qt

Because it has a latch

http://www.rei.com/product/849529/coleman-xtreme-5-cooler-70-qt

and this one for price
http://www.target.com/p/coleman-xtreme-cooler-blue-70-qt/-/A-10885772
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally like my ARB fridge freezer. It keeps stuff at a constant temp and you never have to buy ice or worry about wet soggy food. You can even turn it into a freezer and freeze fresh caught fish, shrimp etc. With a proper battery setup, it can run for days before getting to the shut off point.  If you are driving around every day then the battery isnt really an issue. I have been super happy with mine.
(it also doubles as a beer fridge when Im not camping.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]

I've got a Coleman xtreme that is great -fantastic considering the price.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...Only here would a cooler be used as an ammo dump.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
There are a couple of reasons to use more than one smaller coolers rather than one larger cooler. Firstly, especially with the premium superinsulated coolers like Yeti brand and equivalent, the  coolers are heavy, even empty, and awkwardly, maybe even dangerously heavy to lift and move when full. Dividing the capacity diminishes that consideration, and if you're trying to maximize "cold retention" in extreme conditions, you ought to be moving your coolers as necessary throughout the day to  keep them in the shade, (or at least, protect them from radiant solar heat absorption by shielding them with any available  insulation --- boat cushions, unused PFDs, sleeping bags,"space blankets", etc.) .Secondly, it's smart to divide your cooled stuff into at least two coolers, one, infrequently opened, for stuff that is critical to keep cold ---frozen foods that need to last, perilously perishable  foods ( egg salad, mayo, etc.) that may send you to your grave or the ER if spoiled), and non-critical stuff like canned or bottled drinks, icecubes, etc., which typically involve more frequent opening of their cooled containers,with inevitable degradation of their cooling capabilities . My 45qt. Yeti, packed with high-density food and block ice is a strain to lift up to or down from my truck tailgate, into or out of my trailered boat, and to schlep anywhere. Instead, for portable use,  I'm using two 25qt..Yetis, one for food, the other for icecubes and cold drinks --- the smaller capacity coolers are no less, maybe more, efficient than the larger. Extended expedition? ---See "dry ice" for keeping cold...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well I dont really have a budget,   I have narrowed it down to these 3. It will be used for road trips, vacations, camping, off roading trips and parties.

http://www.rei.com/product/866636/igloo-super-tough-stx-72-sportsman-cooler-72-qt

Because it has a latch

http://www.rei.com/product/849529/coleman-xtreme-5-cooler-70-qt

and this one for price

http://www.target.com/p/coleman-xtreme-cooler-blue-70-qt/-/A-10885772
View Quote

Between these two I'd go for the second, because it is lighter colored, so it won't get as warm in the sun. (But keep your cooler in the shade as much as possible.)

I have 3 Coleman Extremes. Two are big, with wheels and a pull handle, and another one that's a bit smaller. All 3 are good and will keep food cold in the summer over a 3 day weekend. One thing that really helps is to pre-chill or freeze whatever you're putting into the cooler. That way your ice doesn't need to cool down the food.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing that never comes up as far as coolers go.
Is wt when they are full! As long as your not camping alone!
No problem with the larger coolers.  
By ones self. 72qt  full with food drinks as well as ice/water.
Can be a bit hard to lift out of a trunk. Or lift into the back of a SUV!
Just saying? IMHO!  I use two smaller coolers. For me easier to handle!

PITA45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top