Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 6:58:08 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I filmed myself making a knife and figured perhaps that is something you guys would be interested in. I cant seem to embed it so if someone could do that for me that would be great! Either way feel free to ask any questions below.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdonBlJV1Zg

I am open to all constructive criticism!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of steel is used in those files?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Really cool! I wish I had access to a shop and more tools. I would love to do projects like this all the time, I have worked a lot of jobs (my own choice) and I have acquired a great deal of skills along the way. Never done much heat treating and annealing but have done some and a great deal of metal and woodworking. I would really like to make my own knife one day. Great work on yours!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Most good quality american made files are 1095 or W2. Nicholson uses their own blend which is basically a blend of 1095 and W2 however prefers an oil quench. Its good quality stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most good quality american made files are 1095 or W2. Nicholson uses their own blend which is basically a blend of 1095 and W2 however prefers an oil quench. Its good quality stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool. I was wondering if it made for a sharp/lasting edge. I'd love to make one of those but I lack in the tool department.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Really cool! I wish I had access to a shop and more tools. I would love to do projects like this all the time, I have worked a lot of jobs (my own choice) and I have acquired a great deal of skills along the way. Never done much heat treating and annealing but have done some and a great deal of metal and woodworking. I would really like to make my own knife one day. Great work on yours!
View Quote

There are plenty of knife makers creating beautiful pieces using much less than I am. I was just lucky enough to have some extra tax refund money. Walter Sorrels gives a wonderful tutorial on how to make a knife with nothing but the most inexpensive and baisc tools. Its a good series, i recommend it.

Tutorial Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_jMNsjVc-s

He uses a much different process than I do but the basic concepts are the same. I recommend you take the dive, there is nothing more satisfying than creating something from scratch!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There are plenty of knife makers creating beautiful pieces using much less than I am. I was just lucky enough to have some extra tax refund money. Walter Sorrels gives a wonderful tutorial on how to make a knife with nothing but the most inexpensive and baisc tools. Its a good series, i recommend it.

He uses a much different process than I do but the basic concepts are the same. I recommend you take the dive, there is nothing more satisfying than creating something from scratch!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you 100%. I will take a look at the tutorial. At times I have had access to all the machines, furnaces, kilns, and tools I could ever want but I currently don't have easy access to these any longer. Guess I may need to call in some favors at some old jobs. That is one of the good things about not burning bridges and staying in touch when you leave a job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've made a knife for stock making out of a file and it holds an edge very well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Good job OP, looks cool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Very good vid OP.  Well done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool vid OP.

My father was a blacksmith & loved using old files for knives.  We used to spend just about every weekend scrounging yard sales & auctions for old worn out files.

It looks like you've got the equipment you need to do some forging.  Honestly, its easier and makes a better knife than the stock removal method.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool vid OP.

My father was a blacksmith & loved using old files for knives.  We used to spend just about every weekend scrounging yard sales & auctions for old worn out files.

It looks like you've got the equipment you need to do some forging.  Honestly, its easier and makes a better knife than the stock removal method.
View Quote

I agree, there is nothing better than a finely forged blade. However at this point I am still anvil browsing. I live in a residential area so a quieter anvil would be preferred, however there are some good anvil silencing techniques I could also explore. So I am working towards it, I am just not quite there yet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree, there is nothing better than a finely forged blade. However at this point I am still anvil browsing. I live in a residential area so a quieter anvil would be preferred, however there are some good anvil silencing techniques I could also explore. So I am working towards it, I am just not quite there yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool vid OP.

might i recommend checking out WWW.IFORGEIRON.COM its a great website with a whole ton of details, discussions etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top