Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 7:17:06 AM EDT
Here's the tent that I purchased for occasional family outings.  Set it up in the garage last night.  

From everything I've read, seam sealing is the way to go for a better experience when camping.  My question is, where do I seal it exactly?  The threads appear to have seam tape on them so they appear to be sealed anyway.  Are there spots where I can apply seam seal that just aren't obvious to me?  I'm new to tent ownership and camping in general, so any suggestions are welcome.  Picture included with rain fly on.  I can post one with the fly off if that helps.  This is a Northwest Territory "Chippewa" tent.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What I do is just run the seam sealer over the seams (threads).  Did that with my last new tent, every 5 yrs on my 25 yr old Erukea Timberline and hunting grounds blinds.

CD
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They do come from the factory with seam sealer, but it's not a bad idea to apply your own.  With it set up and the rainfly off (seal it separately) run the seam sealer over the existing factory sealer on the inside, and down the stitched seams on the outside that they didn't seal.  I also get some carnuba wax and lubricate the zippers with it, just close them, and run it (I use sex wax surfboard wax) along the seam where the zipper halves meet, then run the tab back and forth until it's smooth.  

Anyway, you'll want to seal the rainfly too, if you can reach the entire outside of it with it set up, do that.  Then lay it over chairs or something and seal the inside seams.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I don't know anything about the tent you purchased specifically, but I can tell you that seam-sealing is something you do to tents that are NOT seam-taped. If yours is seam taped, don't fuck around with trying to put more sealant over the tape... seam sealing is an unfortunate pain in the ass on those few modern tents that require it, and it's a job that has turned into disaster for many o' guy. you sure as shit don't want to get into that if you don't have to.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top