Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2014 8:32:48 AM EDT
I found a great deal on a tent a few days ago and bought it.  We've camped before but never owned a tent (usually borrowed one).  I didn't get anything fancy.  It's an 18 x 10 Northwest Territory tent for $68  (regularly $200).  We might use it 2-3 times in a year so for the price I paid I figured we'd try it out.  If it's something we like, then I can always upgrade.

My first purchase after ordering the tent was an 8 oz. tube of SeamGrip, which I read was recommended for any tent to help prevent leaking.

Now on to some questions and hopefully the start of an info filled thread.

I'm now looking for a tarp to use as a base layer under the tent.  What .mil thickness is recommended for this purpose?  I am also considering an additional shelter type tarp to use in areas where feasible to cover a larger area or a place to get out of the elements if necessary.

What should be next on my list of gear?  I'm not looking to break the bank here either.

If I'm camping where there's a fire ring/pit only, do you recommend grill grates to cook on?  I've seen various styles from ones that sit across the pit, to ones that have legs attached and ones mounted on swivel poles.

Let's start a list of camping essentials/tips/common practices that make life more fun/relaxing on your family outdoor trips.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
ok, so apparently if I'd read a little closer, there's a similar thread for this, but I at least want to know the .mil thickness recommendation for a ground cover tarp.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd just go with whatever you can find at lowes/home depot for the ground cloth, it's not a technical/backpacking tent that needs lightweight or expensive, etc.  

ETA:  I went to check what I use on my big family car camping tent, it's just a 10 mil grey/brown tarp from lowes.  I use it for other stuff around the house too.  I have a fitted ground cloth on my smaller tents.  

I have had great luck so far with my 12' x 12' kelty noah's tarp for a shelter, it is very versatile, and cheaper than most tarps of similar quality.  

One word of caution, big tents like that (I have one too for car camping) are not designed to withstand heavy amounts of rain, so I would plan your trips for fair weather if possible.  

I use a grill similar to this one when car camping, works pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to check out the stores this weekend to see what I can find.  I was thinking about (depending on the campsite) getting a larger, maybe 16 x 20 tarp and using it as a canopy over the tent if there's potential for rain.  I've been reading about several different methods for using tarps in this manor, or just for a general cover area during the day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't really matter what you put under the tent.  Us backpackers put the thinnest nylon you can find under them, and it works fine.  Even Tyvek.  Just make sure the tarp doesn't stick out from under the tent, and collect rain water back under the tent.

ETA:  I have Kelty Shadehouse that has done well for us:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top