Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 2:38:50 PM EDT
Gonna start camping with my gf this summer

Is this a good value?http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Camping-Combos%7C/pc/104795280/c/109783980/Eagles-Camp-Three-Person-Camping-Combo/1608549.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-combos%2F_%2FN-1105512%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_109783980%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104795280&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104795280%3Bcat109783980
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO it is an OK deal for summer camping. You could probably do better buying a higher quality used tent and finding some sleeping bags on sale somewhere else. The inflatable mattress in unnecessary. Not a bad deal if you break it down by item, but I have a deep seeded mistrust for Cabelas from their shoddy customer service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Good price starter tent http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FGTOHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
You could easily find a good enough sleeping bag for 30 dollars a piece and be good to go for warm weather camping while having saved over $100.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd highly suggest looking at REI for deals. They are currently running their annual 20% off sale with free shipping for orders over $50. You have to be a member to use the coupon code, and a membership only costs $20. Being a member is for-life and includes access to the annual 20% off sale and 10% dividend on all other purchases. The dividends are mailed each spring for the amount you earned in the prior year.

If you decide to go the REI route, the coupon code is technically only good for one item, but if you place multiple single item orders quickly right after each other, you can use it multiple times.

They have a lot of great gear, and are actually geared more towards camping than Cabela's is.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd highly suggest looking at REI for deals. They are currently running their annual 20% off sale with free shipping for orders over $50. You have to be a member to use the coupon code, and a membership only costs $20. Being a member is for-life and includes access to the annual 20% off sale and 10% dividend on all other purchases. The dividends are mailed each spring for the amount you earned in the prior year.

If you decide to go the REI route, the coupon code is technically only good for one item, but if you place multiple single item orders quickly right after each other, you can use it multiple times.

They have a lot of great gear, and are actually geared more towards camping than Cabela's is.
View Quote

I think you can do a little better if you buy separately (similar quality of gear) .

Having said that, I just purchased ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 4 Tent from REI for $80 with the SAVE20 code.  It's not the lightest tent on the market, but it should be great for car camping.  Queen air beds from Coleman are around $30 at Walmart.  Sleeping bags; anything from $40 each to as much as you want to spend.  Or just bring sheets, comforters or poncho liners from home.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think you can do a little better if you buy separately (similar quality of gear) .

Having said that, I just purchased ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 4 Tent from REI for $80 with the SAVE20 code.  It's not the lightest tent on the market, but it should be great for car camping.  Queen air beds from Coleman are around $30 at Walmart.  Sleeping bags; anything from $40 each to as much as you want to spend.  Or just bring sheets, comforters or poncho liners from home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of ^ this is what I came to write.  The allure of having everything in one nice bundle is convenient.  However, looking at those individual pieces, that package must be one of Cabela's highest margin products.  Any tent from REI, EMS are GTG...shit, I've even had some good luck with the Coleman ones.  When you're just getting started with camping/doing primarily car camping, Walmart is your friend.  Most of what my wife and I use are left over items from our college years.  Also, ask around to friends that you know who camp, perhaps borrowing a few items will let you know what you like/don't like or if camping is really even your thing.

Don't forget a "decent" stove.  These can also be had from Walmart.  I like ones that run on propane as I can share it with my lantern.  However, I have a liquid fuel stove that's older than I am and it runs like a top.  All of the replacement parts are available on Amazon.  Actually, now that I type it...Amazon is another solid source for gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top