Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2014 1:24:45 PM EDT
Congressman Greg Walden, (R-OR-2nd district) has written H.R. 4272. A house bill that would require the forest service to reopen the roads in the forest that have been closed to the public.The forest service would then submit to the counties that the forest sets in, which roads that they wanted closed and why. I am not posting this to start a fight over whether it's right or wrong, just that it is there and if you want a chance to exercise your freedom of choice here it is. It simply takes you to contact your senator or congress person and ask them to do so. There is no reason this bill can't be amended to include blm land and the grasslands as well. If you want it to remain locked up you don't have to do anything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
A link to the text of the bill page and text
HR 4272

BILLS-113hr4272ih.pdf
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr4272
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you everrest.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
the off roaders have destroyed a lot of very nice scenery.

I am not so sure they have the right to destroy public property for their own amusement.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Can someone please explain to me what is going on? Is this still shit from the government shutdown? I am being serouis, I did not know we were being cut off of public land.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The Forest Service is not your friend. They have the words "Land of many uses" on the signs around here, yet they close roads and try to ruin ranchers. A few years ago I was camped in the Monitor Range when they had a controlled burn. They had no signs or warnings posted, they just set the fire. I had been in the hills a few days and had been right in the area where they set it the day before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok in the Nicolet Forest the amount of "fire-lanes/logging roads" are fixed, so if loggers want to open a new one, an old one of equal length must be closed. This is a GOOD policy, and they can still be used for foot travel, hunting, hiking ect. With the advent of ATV's our forest has taken a real beating off road, and there is not a single place I can backpack into the deepest most remote part of the forest where I can't find illegal ATV tracks. I am not opposed to legal ATV's following the designated legal trails, only the rule breakers. All the illegal activity and the impact it has on the back country, has to be taken into consideration in areas now closed to vehicular traffic...because these old trails are the main site of illegal riding. So no, do not reopen trails closed for the above reasons.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok in the Nicolet Forest the amount of "fire-lanes/logging roads" are fixed, so if loggers want to open a new one, an old one of equal length must be closed. This is a GOOD policy, and they can still be used for foot travel, hunting, hiking ect. With the advent of ATV's our forest has taken a real beating off road, and there is not a single place I can backpack into the deepest most remote part of the forest where I can't find illegal ATV tracks. I am not opposed to legal ATV's following the designated legal trails, only the rule breakers. All the illegal activity and the impact it has on the back country, has to be taken into consideration in areas now closed to vehicular traffic...because these old trails are the main site of illegal riding. So no, do not reopen trails closed for the above reasons.

Fail.

No COC compliant comments are available at this time. "Fail" sums it up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The purpose of closing roads in the National Forests and creating "wildness areas" is to make giant playgrounds for rich people.

The average person cannot afford to fly in on an airstrip conveniently left open...or take two weeks off of work and ride in on horseback...

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The purpose of closing roads in the National Forests and creating "wildness areas" is to make giant playgrounds for rich people.

The average person cannot afford to fly in on an airstrip conveniently left open...or take two weeks off of work and ride in on horseback...

View Quote

You an always walk...
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is my understanding of the problem. I don't think the ATV users really understand how much damage even a little bit of ATV use causes and how long it takes for the forest to repair itself from that damage. It is not just the ATVs though. Some of the 4 wheelers and dirt bikers are just as bad.

I have been told that there are some hiking trails that were once very nice up in WI that have been all but destroyed by illegal ATV use.

The thing is that the guys doing it illegally just do not care if it is legal or not and will continue to have their fun at the expense of the rest of us.

I have even seen ATVs in some of the forest preserves around here. They are not permitted on any trails in any of the forest preserves but the users just do not seem to care that it is illegal and the damage they do does not seem to bother them one bit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope, I REALLY like having them closed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just so I get this right. You're not in favor of having public lands remain opened to the public?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so I get this right. You're not in favor of having public lands remain opened to the public?

I like hiking in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the lands are not closed, just the roads.

the thing is that most of the roads being closed are logging roads that were never supposed to be permanent roads anyway. it was generally intended that once logging was complete the roads would no longer be in use.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I vote keep them closed.

Case and point:  Forest road in local forest is opened up to vehicle traffic/ATVs for the first time in years.  About a mile in there was a GORGEOUS spring fed wetland beside the road where many folks (hikers/backpackers) would birdwatch and creature watch since it was a nice undisturbed wetland that had some open water sections, some forested wetland sections, etc.  A fantastic diverse habitat.
It took all of a week for ATVs and good ol' boy jacked up "cause fat girls can't jump" brodozers to ride off the road and destroy most of the wetland turning it into their own personal mud bog.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I vote keep them closed.

Case and point:  Forest road in local forest is opened up to vehicle traffic/ATVs for the first time in years.  About a mile in there was a GORGEOUS spring fed wetland beside the road where many folks (hikers/backpackers) would birdwatch and creature watch since it was a nice undisturbed wetland that had some open water sections, some forested wetland sections, etc.  A fantastic diverse habitat.
It took all of a week for ATVs and good ol' boy jacked up "cause fat girls can't jump" brodozers to ride off the road and destroy most of the wetland turning it into their own personal mud bog.
View Quote

sadly, this is not all that unusual.

I see ATV tracks all kinds of places they are not permitted.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have never done anything wrong or acted like a jackass and yet completely arbitrary forest service closures have already effected me. There are places that I have years of fond memories of, only to show up to go camping one day to find 200 yards of torn up stumps and car sized boulders that they hauled in from miles and miles away, and a road closed sign plopped down right in the middle of the road.
View Quote

As I understand it, you can still camp there, you just can't drive there anymore. Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To hell with grandma,grandpa, disabled vets, etc, right? Camping is only for the able bodied!
View Quote

plenty of places you can still drive in and camp though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]
don't hold back. tell us what you really think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top