Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2014 5:50:27 AM EDT
I'm looking for a pump-based water filter to be used around base camp. This filter will be used to supply water for 2-4 people. Since this won't be used on the trails, I'm not looking at the gravity-based filters at this time.

I'm currently debating between 4 filters: Katadyn Vario, Katadyn Hiker Pro, MSR Miniworks EX, and MSR Sweetwater. I can't decide between the filters as I've heard many pros and cons for each.

What do all of you recommend for a filter?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm looking for a pump-based water filter to be used around base camp. This filter will be used to supply water for 2-4 people. Since this won't be used on the trails, I'm not looking at the gravity-based filters at this time.

I'm currently debating between 4 filters: Katadyn Vario, Katadyn Hiker Pro, MSR Miniworks EX, and MSR Sweetwater. I can't decide between the filters as I've heard many pros and cons for each.

View Quote

If this is for a base camp why wouldn't you want to use a gravity filter? I have used an MSR Miniworks for about 4 years now and know people who have used the Katadyn Hiker Pro. You are going to get a good work out pumping water for 2-4 people.

I personally recomend the MSR Miniworks as I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a MSR Hyperflow for backpacking. It's light, fast, and easy to use.

I don't know if it's a base camp filter, but msr makes great gear.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this is for a base camp why wouldn't you want to use a gravity filter?
View Quote

So if I were to look at gravity systems, I see there are basically 3 options: Katadyn Base Camp, Platypus GravityWorks, and Sawyer Complete.

Of those, which one is better? I like the large capacity of the Katadyn, but the Platypus seems to be the old standard for gravity, and the Sawyer I've heard rips bags easily. I'm sort of leaning toward the Katadyn since it has the activated charcoal in the filter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If this is for a base camp why wouldn't you want to use a gravity filter? I have used an MSR Miniworks for about 4 years now and know people who have used the Katadyn Hiker Pro. You are going to get a good work out pumping water for 2-4 people.

I personally recomend the MSR Miniworks as I have nothing but good things to say about them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for me, and agreed on all points.  The MSR Miniworks has been solid for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So if I were to look at gravity systems, I see there are basically 3 options: Katadyn Base Camp, Platypus GravityWorks, and Sawyer Complete.

Of those, which one is better? I like the large capacity of the Katadyn, but the Platypus seems to be the old standard for gravity, and the Sawyer I've heard rips bags easily. I'm sort of leaning toward the Katadyn since it has the activated charcoal in the filter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is for a base camp why wouldn't you want to use a gravity filter?

Have you checked out the MSR Autoflow? It has a .2 micron filter just like the other brands. I'm partial to MSR if you haven't noticed

ETA: Katadyn has a .3 micron filter. Not sure if that's enough to make you lean one way or another.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a Katadyn hiker pro however, for a base camping type outing given the number of people you are talking about I would highly recommend a gravity fed type filtration system made by a reputable manufacturer.  Many solid companies already mentioned so I would go with one of them and be sure to have a back up filtration unit for your primary.  Katadyn IMHO puts out some solid products, I personally would go with one of their products.  Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.  Good luck and have fun.  Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own a Katadyn hiker pro however, for a base camping type outing given the number of people you are talking about I would highly recommend a gravity fed type filtration system made by a reputable manufacturer.  Many solid companies already mentioned so I would go with one of them and be sure to have a back up filtration unit for your primary.  Katadyn IMHO puts out some solid products, I personally would go with one of their products.  Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.  Good luck and have fun.  Edited for spelling.
View Quote

+1 here, pumps are slow are and a lot of work for that many people, although the msr miniworks served me well.  I put together a cheap gravity system using stuff I already had:

Sawyer mini and a platypus big zip 3L, and a shut off valve from an old camelbak I had.  The hoses from hydration bladders will fit right on the mini or squeeze.

Similar to this:

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Both the Miniworks and Hiker Pro are solid and I've used them for years.  I like the flexibility, light weight and speed of both.  Often I'll just top off my water before heading up onto a dry ridge and don't want to wait around.   Also at a base camp there's almost always someone who needs a job to do.

spf

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Hiker Pro and have no complaints.  Money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I also like to have a chemical type purifier by having a MSR MIOX.

Filter, then MIOX. Yes it is overkill but better safe than sorry. The MIOX is passive and required minimal energy to treat the water.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
SAWYER...ding..done...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
My platypus hangs in a tree and gives me a gallon of water in 5 minutes,, no pumping,,

Hard to beat that.  Enough for 2 -4 people easy, no effort.  You might want to check out Gravity filters.

I have a Sawyer bottle squeeze one for trails.  It works but the gravity is so much easier and quicker.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I never had any problems with my Hiker Pro. Eventually I switched to a Sawyer as a gravity filter. Now I pretty much just do chemical treating with Aqua Mira. I also have a couple of the Sawyer Squeeze and Minis cuz ya never know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The sawyer is the only option!

Sawyer has a .02 micron version that even gets out viruses. They have a .1 micron that can be connected to a bucket and do over 400 gallons of water in a day. The filters go for 1 million gallons. The cleaning of the filter takes 1 minute by backwashing with a provided plunger.

I seriously can not speak higher of the Sawyer filter.

Not to mention they have a mini one for $20 that would probably out preform all the ones you have listed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top