Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2014 11:45:29 PM EDT
Just booked a flight that leaves in a couple weeks.  Have 7 days to hike and plan on spending a few in Zion as I've heard good reviews from people.  Any trail recommendations in the area?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The Narrows.  Amazing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Angels Landing, Bryce Canyon...   You suck by the way.  We want to go back there so bad
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
zion is on my list still. Just got back from canyonlands last week. Angels landing is on the must do list (If you can do heights). Kolob Canyon is my next biggest to do.

This might help

[edit]
map to help you plan order of things

Zion has a shuttle system. Read up a little about it before you go
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Google "the Subway".  It is awesome.  Especially this time of year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Angels Landing is on the list.  The subway looks awesome.  Narrows looks cool.  I'll probably spend 3-4 days in Zion, then go over to Bryce or somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are up for the drive, Escalante and the surrounding areas has some great hikes that are not as crowded. Calf Creek Falls, both upper and lower are great destinations.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
When are you going to be there? The narrows and some of the other canons will most likely not be able to be hiked without a drysuit for another month or so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Angels Landing is on the list.  The subway looks awesome.  Narrows looks cool.  I'll probably spend 3-4 days in Zion, then go over to Bryce or somewhere.

View Quote

Bryce Canyon is great to visit.  A lot to see and do in a relatively compact area.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Not planning on the Narrows or Subway after reading up on it.  Water temps are low 40's according to the Parks Facebook posts.

So far these are the hikes planned;

Zion
-------
Angels Landing
Observation Point & Hidden Canyon

Bryce Canyon
------------------
Fairyland loop
Peekaboo loop
Navajo-Queens Garden loop

Grand Staircase Escalante
-------------------------------------
Peekaboo & Spooky slot canyons

Those falls posted above look awesome, I'll check my books for that hike.  Also thinking of a half day horseback tour.  And maybe find one of those areas with the dinosaur tracks or pictographs/petroglyphs.  Anyone know if the museum at Anasazi State Park in Escalante is worth it?  Planning on looking for things like that to take a break from hiking.

Usually on a trip like this I plan the must-do hikes, then make a big list of other hikes, things to see.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not planning on the Narrows or Subway after reading up on it.  Water temps are low 40's according to the Parks Facebook posts.

So far these are the hikes planned;

Zion
-------
Angels Landing
Observation Point & Hidden Canyon

Bryce Canyon
------------------
Fairyland loop
Peekaboo loop

Grand Staircase Escalante
-------------------------------------
Peekaboo & Spooky slot canyons

Those falls posted above look awesome, I'll check my books for that hike.  Also thinking of a half day horseback tour.  And maybe find one of those areas with the dinosaur tracks or pictographs/petroglyphs.  Anyone know if the museum at Anasazi State Park in Escalante is worth it?  Planning on looking for things like that to take a break from hiking.

Usually on a trip like this I plan the must-do hikes, then make a big list of other hikes, things to see.  
View Quote

The falls are not far from Spooky/Peekaboo.

The ones pictured are the lower falls and take about 3 hours round trip.

The upper falls are a short steep 10 minute hike and there is a great little swimming hole there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The falls are not far from Spooky/Peekaboo.

The ones pictured are the lower falls and take about 3 hours round trip.

The upper falls are a short steep 10 minute hike and there is a great little swimming hole there.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Look up "The Wave" on Google.  You have to enter a lottery drawing at the BLM in Kanab which can sometimes be difficult to win depending on the number of groups entered.  They only allow 20 people per day to get a permit and 10 of those are filled via the internet months in advance.  I got lucky last year and won the last permit, there were 61 people there at the time of drawing for 10 permits.  This would be a great time to go as temps would be mild, I went in Sept. and it was 95 by noon.  It is a 3 mile hike in desert like conditions  each way, but is well worth it.

I hit all the main attraction all the way around the Grand Canyon and this was our favorite place.  Everyone who saw our pictures liked this place best also.  I won't post any as there is no shortage of them on Google images and they are the same as mine.  

Definitely a must see if you can snag a permit.  Also keep in  mind the drawing is held at 9 am for a permit the FOLLOWING day.  I entered the drawing, won and spent the rest of that day at the North Rim, which is about 80 miles away.

This time of year the number of people seeking permits could be lower, might be a good time to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top