Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2011 6:21:46 PM EDT
First of all, the archived thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=1&t=627842

For those of you that don't know, I started this project shortly after graduating college. Unfortunately, I started this project while living at my Mom's house and since then I lived with a friend for a short time before getting my own place. Each of those moves set the boat project back quite a bit but now things are pretty stable and I have started to work on it again.

Anyways, enough excuses. I'll try to hit all of the high points with the following montage if you are too lazy to click on the archive link.

Yep, I just woke up one day and decided to build a boat. Kind of like the day I woke up and decided to build an AR15 as my first firearm. Or the time I decided to get a motorcycle. Or a deuce and a half. Also this boat is called an AR15 so why not?

Boat building supplies.

Me with the first piece of the jig.

More jig.

First piece of the boat (transom).

Making 16' x 4' sheets for hull pieces.

Hull stitched together.

Seams filled.

Seams reinforced with fiberglass.

Applying layer of epoxy to outside of hull.

Hull covered in epoxy.

Boat flipped.

Inside view of hull.

Applying fiberglass to the inside of the seams.

First sponsor?

Seams complete.

I'm on a boat!

Transom attached.

Ready to move to the new workshop!

Ok so now everyone is up to speed

Here is the boat in its new location.

Workshop upgrades.

And finally, my project for this week:

That's right! time for bulkheads! I can't wait! I hope they are less of a pain in the ass to cut than they were to measure
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty impressive.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#2]
That is really cool.

Good luck with the rest of the project, looking forward to the updates.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested.... in the M35!!

Seriously, looks great.  Something I would love to tackle, but would never get this far.

I have to admit though, when looking through your pics I was wondering what the ballistic coefficient on that hull would be.....

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm interested.... in the M35!!

Seriously, looks great.  Something I would love to tackle, but would never get this far.

I have to admit though, when looking through your pics I was wondering what the ballistic coefficient on that hull would be.....

Thanks! the M35 is pretty fun. I took it to Haspin, IN and broke my transfer case so I'm looking for a new one now. It's also in line for some work - probably in parallel with the boat and MX-5 because the M35 isn't competing for garage space. I'm going to put an LDS in it if I can find one (2x power) or I'll crank up the fuel.

I don't know what the ballistic coefficient is for the boat but it's supposed to be fast! 140 ft^2 is a lot of sail for a 16 ft boat. Oh, and the spinnaker is ~240 ft^2 I think. I should be cruising pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow!  That's beautiful work.  That has to be enormously satisfying!  Looking forward to moar pics of the construction process.

And the M35.

And especially the "boat flipped" model.  

Best fridge evar, too.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan to build a stitch boat some day.

Some day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man cutting out the bulkheads was a pain in the ass. I'll get some pictures when I put them in - which will be a while because tomorrow I'm going on vacation for a week and a half! See ya!

I'll try to get a picture of my boat model on the beach. Oh wait, that would move this thread to BOTD
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I've built a couple of boats over the years and yours is very cool.  Lots of hard work but when you're done and you take it for the first sail, it's all worth it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've built a couple of boats over the years and yours is very cool.  Lots of hard work but when you're done and you take it for the first sail, it's all worth it.

I hope so!

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome. Looking forward to all of the updates.

Nice choice in motorcycles. i'm assuming your avatar says it all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag for great project.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Tips Hat, know of some people who were building a viking ship, using tools of time period, full length...  pretty cool...  it takes awhike for pic's ta down load, have slow access, it looks awsome... Tips Hat...
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry about the delay. 2 Weeks ago I found a new transfer case for my truck (an air shift to replace my broken sprag). I spent ALL of my free time for about a week and a half getting it installed and then the truck broke down on my first real trip. I also recently acquired a tow bar so that my friend can drag me back as soon as there's an opportunity. I plan on getting the truck back in the next few days and then I think I'm going to park it for the winter and work on the boat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]

I have been traveling for work and did a little hunting when I got back. Sorry, my loyal followers, for the delay.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice!  Now can we get a closer look at the background of this one?  

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If i just looked at the pictures i would say.
man builds boat in living room. army confiscates boat then deports kids to france.

Nice build my man!
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Got to love it.  Great build.  Great skill, too.

Pope
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Was wondering what happened to this thread.  Glad I found it again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
man builds boat in living room. army confiscates boat then deports kids to france.

I love it!
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagged for updates.

Very nice work!
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, I'm very impressed! Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny, just last week I mentoned the original thread to a co-worker.

Glad to you started on it again.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't forget the keel.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
That is a tempting project for the new year.  Too bad I have to finish my kayak first.

At least page 2 will always be mine.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Pretty cool, I'm going to follow this one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
if would be cooler if you were building it in your basement.

but seriously, very cool. keep it up.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
One of the guys at work gave me an anchor

The bulkheads were a little challenging but came out pretty good.

2/5 bulkheads complete

Or 3/6 if you count the transom. Half way done!

Drawing more bulkheads
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#30]

I was drawing some more bulkheads and I just figured out that I goofed a dimension on the large bulkhead from the above post. It's not grossly wrong and isn't super critical but now I have to make the hard decision on whether to carry the mistake through (e.g., "It's not a bug! It's a feature!") or redo the bulkhead.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/jsriolo/lolz/ffffffuuuuu.gif

I was drawing some more bulkheads and I just figured out that I goofed a dimension on the large bulkhead from the above post. It's not grossly wrong and isn't super critical but now I have to make the hard decision on whether to carry the mistake through (e.g., "It's not a bug! It's a feature!") or redo the bulkhead.

Depends on the size and location of the mistake.  If it has anything to do with a chine location fix it or the boat will never be fair.  If its just a bit of a gap some where there is a reason they make epoxy...
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I made the cockpit too narrow on bulkhead E.

Today's adventure has inspired the following:

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Another bulkhead.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks great! Makes me want to get on making a boat myself...however I would make a kayak first.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Well the last week or two has been kind of busy with work, helping friends move, ect... However, I have some time off this week so I'll be back on the boat.

In other news my buddy traded me this for a case of beer:

1993 Ranger with 315,000 miles. The odometer doesn't have a hundred thousand digit but my buddy is the only previous owner and says it rolled over three times. He wasn't getting much use out of it since he has so many vehicles - his only instruction was "Drive it like you stole it." OK!

I might give it a rattle can camo job so it matches the deuce.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Just fixed some stuff on the danger ranger and cut another bulkhead. I'll post pictures this weekend. Or maybe when I cut the last one. Almost there! Once I cut the last bulkhead I need to find a way to warm the garage up a bit so epoxy can set. And set aside a Saturday for a fiberglass marathon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Are you doing all the glassing with epoxy? I'm entirely too cheap to do that, polyester or, if I'm feeling generous, vinylester for me. But then the next boat I'm working on is less than 3' long. If I manage to find a jet pump suitable for a 4.3l Chevy I'll start on a 16' hull this summer. That one will be plywood, glassed on both sides, foam inside that, then more glass. Positive buoyancy is my friend
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are you doing all the glassing with epoxy? I'm entirely too cheap to do that, polyester or, if I'm feeling generous, vinylester for me. But then the next boat I'm working on is less than 3' long. If I manage to find a jet pump suitable for a 4.3l Chevy I'll start on a 16' hull this summer. That one will be plywood, glassed on both sides, foam inside that, then more glass. Positive buoyancy is my friend

Can you tell me more or provide a link about putting foam inside the hull? I know some boats are just foam and glass but I haven't seen many examples of this kind of construction. I have considered doing something like that though (also for positive buoyancy).
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you tell me more or provide a link about putting foam inside the hull? I know some boats are just foam and glass but I haven't seen many examples of this kind of construction. I have considered doing something like that though (also for positive buoyancy).

Don't really have a link, but my plan is to finish the hull up to the deck, cut sheets of 1" urethane foam to fit against the planking between the bulkheads and stringers, bond it in, then glass over the top of it to give it a hard skin. I may even go with EPS foam, bonded in with epoxy, and paint it with a few coats of latex paint. Much cheaper than urethane foam and glass. None of it will be exposed so there's really no need to make it bulletproof. It does have to be sealed in case of gas leaks, though. Gasoline makes EPS vanish.

Another alternative is boxing in everything and pouring 2 part foam between the hull and interior, but you have to make sure that anything you might need to service is in conduits or other structure or you'll never get to it again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry guys, I haven't worked on the boat much lately

However, I did do some work on the rest of my fleet.

I'll add brown and black this week. I haven't decided what to do with the chrome and badges yet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I do not have enough room in my garage for this many projects.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#42]
LAME UPDATE:

Haven't gotten much done on the boat lately but I did get the Danger Ranger out of the garage:

Also got in before the panic buying:

This update is also lame because I have been working a lot lately and I have to go to France again. Yay organ meat. Hopefully more boat oriented updates in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
nice
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Consider this a tag. Very cool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump...

Sorry there have been no updates. I have been traveling a lot and otherwise working my ass off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top