Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2007 9:46:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay here is something basic to start with. I'll start with this link then add others that I can find if they provide more information.

Basic First Aid

This one is pretty good too...

Survival Medical

First Aid Tutorial
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If anyone can expound on I.V. use (hydration, etc.) please do.  And how does a non-doctor type get access to I.V. fluid bags and what not?  legally.
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The following remedies are for use only in a survival situation, not for routine use:

* Diarrhea. Drink tea made from the roots of blackberries and their relatives to stop diarrhea. White oak bark and other barks containing tannin are also effective. However, use them with caution when nothing else is available because of possible negative effects on the kidneys. You can also stop diarrhea by eating white clay or campfire ashes. Tea made from cowberry or cranberry or hazel leaves works too.

* Antihemorrhagics. Make medications to stop bleeding from a poultice of the puffball mushroom, from plantain leaves, or most effectively from the leaves of the common yarrow or woundwort (Achillea millefolium).

* Antiseptics. Use to cleanse wounds, sores, or rashes. You can make them from the expressed juice from wild onion or garlic, or expressed juice from chickweed leaves or the crushed leaves of dock. You can also make antiseptics from a decoction of burdock root, mallow leaves or roots, or white oak bark. All these medications are for external use only.

* Fevers. Treat a fever with a tea made from willow bark, an infusion of elder flowers or fruit, linden flower tea, or elm bark decoction.

* Colds and sore throats. Treat these illnesses with a decoction made from either plantain leaves or willow bark. You can also use a tea made from burdock roots, mallow or mullein flowers or roots, or mint leaves.

* Aches, pains, and sprains. Treat with externally applied poultices of dock, plantain, chickweed, willow bark, garlic, or sorrel. You can also use salves made by mixing the expressed juices of these plants in animal fat or vegetable oils.

* Itching. Relieve the itch from insect bites, sunburn, or plant poisoning rashes by applying a poultice of jewelweed (Impatiens biflora) or witch hazel leaves (Hamamelis virginiana). The jewelweed juice will help when applied to poison ivy rashes or insect stings. It works on sunburn as well as aloe vera.

* Sedatives. Get help in falling asleep by brewing a tea made from mint leaves or passionflower leaves.

* Hemorrhoids. Treat them with external washes from elm bark or oak bark tea, from the expressed juice of plantain leaves, or from a Solomon's seal root decoction.

* Constipation. Relieve constipation by drinking decoctions from dandelion leaves, rose hips, or walnut bark. Eating raw daylily flowers will also help.

* Worms or intestinal parasites. Using moderation, treat with tea made from tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) or from wild carrot leaves.

* Gas and cramps. Use a tea made from carrot seeds as an antiflatulent; use tea made from mint leaves to settle the stomach.

* Antifungal washes. Make a decoction of walnut leaves or oak bark or acorns to treat ringworm and athlete's foot. Apply frequently to the site, alternating with exposure to direct sunlight.

site
Link Posted: 8/28/2007 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Great stuff, thanks for the addition.  Anyone else?

This one from AirCav has some great survival type medical procedures/tips.

Survival Medicine
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Some good discussion here...

SHTF Medical

And I found a pdf version of "Where There is No Doctor".  Should be some good stuff.

Where There is No Doctor
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Nooooooooooooo!  Come on people!  This is important stuff, there has to be a medic or a doctor that has something to contribute.  Doesn't have to be much, just a little here and there to help us non-medic types to learn life saving techniques.  Keep it going!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
need some help here folks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#10]
i know the SHTF when we underwent some forum restructering a few weeks ago... but there are med/firstaid related threads going on in both the SURVIVAL DISCUSIONS forum, and GENERAL OUTDOOR DISCUSION forum, and their very well could be in the SURIVAL GEAR forum, and this subject could even be appropriate, if anyone ever posted anything in the NEW PRODUCTS forum, it's a bit difficult to keep track of all the good links and pertanent information in all the different threads...

i would like to move to vote, that the as yet unused forum which has set totally dormant since the inception of the new forum structure, entitled "NEW PRODUTS FORUM" be transformed into the "FIRST AID AND OUTDOORS/SURVIVAL MEDICINE FORUM" or that an aid forum be created, it would certainly have more relavence than several other topics, which have been granted forums. if i am out of place in suggesting this i appologise, it just seems to make a lot of since to me...
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]
OK here's one, it's more on the preparation side than the treatment side:

For everyone in your group, get the following information written down on cards or sheets. Keep a personal copy on the person, and a group file maintained in a safe location with the tripgoers. It may also be a good idea to keep a third group file maintained at home with a family member or friend.

Include the following information-

NAME, FIRST MIDDLE LAST

DATE OF BIRTH

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

NAME AND POLICY # OF HEALTH INSURANCE

NAME, ADDRESS, AND CONTACT INFO FOR PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN (also, location of medical records if not stored there)

LIST OF MEDICAL CONDITIONS (heart disease, diabetes, asthma, previous major surgeries or injuries, etc)

LIST OF MEDICATIONS (DRUG NAME, DOSAGE, HOW OFTEN TAKEN, AND FOR WHAT)

LIST OF ALLERGIES (ALL ALLERGIES, BUT MOST SPECIFICALLY ALLERGIES TO MEDICATIONS)

BLOOD TYPE

NEXT OF KIN INFORMATION (NAME, ADDRESS, HOME/WORK/CELL/PAGER/FAX/EMAIL)

SECOND TIER NEXT OF KIN/CONTACT INFORMATION (IN CASE FIRST ISN'T REACHABLE)

ABRIDGED FAMILY/SOCIAL HISTORY (history of heart disease in family, smoker, worked in a coal mine for 30 years, etc)

Take this information, put it on a form, and fold it over. Then laminate the form to seal it shut. This way, the sensitive information is not readily accessible except in case of an emergency, and it also makes the information water resistant. Now, you have detailed information for the members of your group in case someone gets sick or injured and is unable to provide the information. When the time comes, just cut open the laminate and voila!

Think of who you go camping/outdoors with, and see if you can name ALL of the above information (they'll want all of it at the hospital). See if they can do the same for you. If not, print up the form!

When I get home, I'll write up a form in MSWord and attach it here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i know the SHTF when we underwent some forum restructering a few weeks ago... but there are med/firstaid related threads going on in both the SURVIVAL DISCUSIONS forum, and GENERAL OUTDOOR DISCUSION forum, and their very well could be in the SURIVAL GEAR forum, and this subject could even be appropriate, if anyone ever posted anything in the NEW PRODUCTS forum, it's a bit difficult to keep track of all the good links and pertanent information in all the different threads...

i would like to move to vote, that the as yet unused forum which has set totally dormant since the inception of the new forum structure, entitled "NEW PRODUTS FORUM" be transformed into the "FIRST AID AND OUTDOORS/SURVIVAL MEDICINE FORUM" or that an aid forum be created, it would certainly have more relavence than several other topics, which have been granted forums. if i am out of place in suggesting this i appologise, it just seems to make a lot of since to me...

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem with posting tips online is that people will NOT get offline and actually get training.  People want a quick tip that's going to save lives.  The only quick tip that works is, "GET TRAINING."  It's like people learning a couple of neat moves from a black belt and assuming that they can now fight.  It doesn't work.  You need skills AND understanding.  That can only come from in-depth learning.  You need to know not only how to do things, but WHY you're doing them, and, sometimes more importantly, why NOT to do them.  Anyone can learn to start an IV.  Anyone who knows how to start an IV can kill someone with that IV.  Do know how seldom in the prehospital emergency environment I actually ADMINISTER anything?  VERY seldom.  I might start an IV for convenience, or so the RN's and ER techs don't have to, but RARELY do I push anything more than a flush.  Even people who need fluids don't necessarily need an IV.  There are something like seven different ways to give fluids, only one of which is intravenously.  

If you have no interest in training, then find something else in which to be interested besides survival.  

Once you get training, get MORE training.  You can discuss training online, and supplement your training through discussion.  But if you have none in the first place, you cannot base your lifesaving capabilities on what you learned on the internet.

That's my tip/trick/advice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The problem with posting tips online is that people will NOT get offline and actually get training.  People want a quick tip that's going to save lives.  The only quick tip that works is, "GET TRAINING."  It's like people learning a couple of neat moves from a black belt and assuming that they can now fight.  It doesn't work.  You need skills AND understanding.  That can only come from in-depth learning.  You need to know not only how to do things, but WHY you're doing them, and, sometimes more importantly, why NOT to do them.  Anyone can learn to start an IV.  Anyone who knows how to start an IV can kill someone with that IV.  Do know how seldom in the prehospital emergency environment I actually ADMINISTER anything?  VERY seldom.  I might start an IV for convenience, or so the RN's and ER techs don't have to, but RARELY do I push anything more than a flush.  Even people who need fluids don't necessarily need an IV.  There are something like seven different ways to give fluids, only one of which is intravenously.  

If you have no interest in training, then find something else in which to be interested besides survival.  

Once you get training, get MORE training.  You can discuss training online, and supplement your training through discussion.  But if you have none in the first place, you cannot base your lifesaving capabilities on what you learned on the internet.

That's my tip/trick/advice.

Footrat is absolutely right saying that experience, not reading makes all the difference.  medical skills arent really difficult, but they arent something you will perfect in the next 10 minutes.  the best bet to learning medical skills for a wilderness emergency would be to take courses on it.  i know its not always the easiest/most convenient way to do it, but hands on experience is the best way to get this kinda training
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If anyone can expound on I.V. use (hydration, etc.) please do.  And how does a non-doctor type get access to I.V. fluid bags and what not?  legally.

Once again, if you have the required training then you would not need to ask these questions. Without the training, they are worse than ueless, they are dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]
The natural antidote to stinging nettle is  Sword Fern. both plants almost allways grow near each other. strip the leafs off the leaf stalk and crush them in your hands till the moisture comes out and rub the crushed leafs on the affected area relief is instant.
it works works for me .
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I would suggest taking a Red Cross first aid and CPR course. You can learn basic first aid skills and of course CPR. They are seperate courses.
The U.S. Army first aid manual is good material, if you are serious about emergency medicine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone needs at least an introductory course in first aid/cpr.  They are often free or very inexpensive and held at various locations around your community including schools, churches, etc.  A few hours of your time may save a life or even your own.

Rather than "do this" to keep someone from dying I think that this should be aimed more towards the many uses of things you already carry.  You know, MacGuyverish type shit.

While probably not the best thing for you I've used superglue to reattach a partially ripped off callous at a weightlifting competition years ago.
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing I have never seen on the boards when it comes to emergency medical stuff is no one every advises anyone to take a trip to thier local EMS station and talk to them. It doesn't matter if it is FD ems or a 3rd service I am pretty sure they would take the time to talk to you. If you re in a rural setting they might even have some free basic training as long as they think you might get the bug and volunteer with them.
I am in the Tulsa area and I know a whole bunch of my medics are into outdoors and SHTF scenarios. Anyone of these medics would love to talk about their craft.
Oh yeah and the comments above are great! an IV is a route for medicine or rehydration, if it is needed for trauma fluid replacement it will do more harm than good. Training and experience to go with it is the answer. I believe any one really motivated can find training they want.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would suggest taking a Red Cross first aid and CPR course. You can learn basic first aid skills and of course CPR. They are seperate courses.
The U.S. Army first aid manual is good material, if you are serious about emergency medicine.

/\ This.  Don't worry about getting IV fluids and learning how to start IVs.   Why? heavy stuff (fluids) that will eventually expire that won't get used, plus they have to be stored at certain temps IIRC. If you're in a situation where you would use IVF are probably better getting the patient the hell outta dodge ASAP. A single bag of IVF for dehydration or hemorrhage is simply delaying the inevitable.  Why putz with an IV when the rate of hemorrhage is 5x the rate of IV infusion; you're better off with direct pressure and a good radio.  CPR and a wilderness medicine or basic EMT course will show you how do deal with those issues.  Know where the nearest thing approximating a hospital is and how to get there and how long it will take to get there.  Plan accidents and how you would deal with them, and different ways to signal help.

MOST of us won't be camping, hiking, spelunking, etc in areas without some type of advanced medical facility within a few hundred miles so that proper first aid and calling for help are your best tactics.

Personally I have some advanced things in my hunting/hiking FAK. CPR equipment/airways/suturing kit/stapler/etc.  Will only use these if absolutely necessary.  Still waiting to get the trauma bandage/patch for GSWs.

I mentioned this on another thread but also know common injuries and first aid needs for companions such as kids, dogs, etc.

***FYI my most used items are 4x4 gauze pads, wound cleanser, and COBAN wrap.  Coban is magic––keeps everything in place and allows for fair wound compression.  Can be used in place of rope/duct tape in fashioning things like splints in a pinch.***
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I took the Red Cross CPR/AED/First aid class it was a single 8 hour class, last month.  The CPR was good.  The first aid is how to use a band aid not BLS.  To learn real BLS in the context of an ambulance not arriving in minutes takes an 80 hour Wilderness First Responder class.  Yes I invested the time to do that.  The WFR does not cover blow out type injuries.  My next steps are to sign up for the basic EMT at a local community college and then add Wilderness and Tactical training for EMT's on top of that.  If you want better CPR training take the Red Cross CPR for professional rescuers class.  It is a requirement for most EMT courses.

I would not want someone trying BLS on me who read about it.  

BLS is Basic Life Support.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#23]
There are several options 1.) you can take a 40 hour FR class instead of an 80 hour WFR, cheaper, covers a lot of the same. WFR has a lot of hands on exercises, like backcountry evacuation that eats the hours. FR should cost about $ 200.00 or so, WFR about twice that.

Also, red cross anything is only good for a year. If you need a card for work, get AHA or ASHI card, good for two years, same curriculum though, it all comes from AHA

recommend the CPR Professional Rescuer class, about 8 hours. much better than the quick and dirty class. see also "medic first aid" supposed to be a really good 8 hour class.

ALSO some one asked about IV fluids. Not recommended for the average bear. For truama, IVs are stopgap at best, they are best suited for a meds line in a medical emergecny like a heart attack. They are good for rehydration as well but can lead to fatal complications if administered wrong and w/o other advanced care. in short, IVs wont fix the problem and will delay efforts to get the pt to definitive care. Can also be disastrous in the wrong hands. infection, fluid overload, thrombus, can kill. Most places will let you do anything an EMT would do w/o catching anyone's attn. Once you get past the EMT skills and start doing Advanced Life Support stuff you'll draw the attn of doctors and LE for practicing medicine w/o a license.

There is a shit load of training to go along w/ starting IVs and for a good reason. There is also additional things that learning only IV therapy wouldn't accomplish. I would rather have a well skilled FR or EMT work on me than a crappy "medic" w/ only a few skills or less than adequate training. There's a saying in EMS : Paramedics save lives, EMTs save paramedics". This means that SOMEONE must do the real care, the BLS, while the medic is busy putting the icing on the cake.

As a former Paramedic, 90% of my job was BLS, the ALS was frosting on the cake and pertained mainly to Medical issues, not trauma. As the wheel has gone round in the last 25 years, studies have shown that rapid stabilization and transport to a surgeon was the cure for trauma. Medics playing on scene w/ Ivs only wasted precious time and ultimately did the pt no good. This isnt opinion, its tried and true doctrine that was hard won knowledge over decades of EMS studies and experience.

get 16 to 24 hours of training, get a few good books on WFR to expand your knowledge, get a good FAK, I like Galls stuff. get their bag and build your own. The mistake of many neophytes is to over prepare, most FAKs bought are for boo-boos. If you need a kit that will let you provide care for a serious emergency involving life threatening injuries or CPR, you need the training to go along with that too.

Classes like PHTLS, BTLS, ATLS and Paramedic curriculums teach to stabilize and transport, start IVs en route.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm pretty sure you can buy IV bags/fluids from your local medical supply store. My dog wad diagnosed with chest wall cancer in January and she couldn't keep food or water down. We gave her Lactated Ringers under the skin for 2 months. She just got wasn't going to get any better and we had her put down. She dropped 20 lbs in 1 month.

RIP Shelby...
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#25]
If you could, in the eyes of the law it would be the same as buying any other Rx medication without a Rx.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took the Red Cross CPR/AED/First aid class it was a single 8 hour class, last month.  The CPR was good.  The first aid is how to use a band aid not BLS.  To learn real BLS in the context of an ambulance not arriving in minutes takes an 80 hour Wilderness First Responder class.  Yes I invested the time to do that.  The WFR does not cover blow out type injuries.  My next steps are to sign up for the basic EMT at a local community college and then add Wilderness and Tactical training for EMT's on top of that.  If you want better CPR training take the Red Cross CPR for professional rescuers class.  It is a requirement for most EMT courses.

I would not want someone trying BLS on me who read about it.  

BLS is Basic Life Support.

Ya, you definitly took the wrong class. The CPR/AED class is what we call heartsaver AED, its extremely basic and only covers good cpr for adult and child (single rescuer), aed, choking, a tiny bit on drowning/ stroke signs and symptoms and thats basically it. We mostly teach them to coaches/counselors/teachers/cardiac patients, those type of people.

what you needed to take was BLS-original, much better class, and 8 hours is ridiculous for a heartsaver course. WFR is also very good and should probably have cert. you as a CFR which isnt much but its something. Don't worry about CPR for PRO rescuers at all if your planning on taking EMT. Your correct that its a requirement but its covered and you become certified automatically in the opening few weeks of EMT, no need to take it beforehand.

Two things I always offer to all my students, to all the parents in the room I always offer to teach there children a real heartsaver/AED class completely free of charge, and if they call in advance I always ask them if they want to bring them, as long as we aren't maxed out for student:instructor ratio I always let them stick with me and get certified, I also buy them a pocket face mask on my dime. good karma

As someone else already mentioned I will always also field any EMS questions I get asked as long as I make it clear that its outside their scope of knowledge for good samaritan and that i'm only speaking unofficially and giving advice for themselves or family, but if they want to hang around, again I will teach them any EMT skills they are interested in provided we take the time to teach it and then have them demo it to me so I can sign off on them, I'll always stay late for people who want these types of skills, especially infant rescue if they are a new mom or dad.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#27]
For greater hemorrhage control and as a backup for a twisted ankle carry an ace wrap. For the bad cuts, wad a piece of shirt and compress with ace wrap. Basically same thing I teach my medics at work.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For greater hemorrhage control and as a backup for a twisted ankle carry an ace wrap. For the bad cuts, wad a piece of shirt and compress with ace wrap. Basically same thing I teach my medics at work.

Basically, you can't teach basic first aid in just a sentence.  You're going to have people thinking that bleeding control is as easy as dealing with a sprained ankle.

When you control bleeding, you do it at the point of the bleeding.  Meaning, IN the wound, not just on top of the wound.  Wound packing is a skill that must be taught, learned, and practiced hands-on.  To tell someone that a shirt and an Ace bandage will fix "bad cuts" is doing a disservice to medical treatment, and to anyone wanting to learn actual medical skills and understanding.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you could, in the eyes of the law it would be the same as buying any other Rx medication without a Rx.

Yep, some things are just stupid.   Stupid as it may be, the law can take you down.    

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#30]
whatev ft is correct
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Mugwort can be used to counter poison oak. It often is growing right next to it. That's poison oak on the left in the first pic, mugwort on the right.

Make a mulch with water and use it as a soap after exposure. Chumash indians used to make a tea and pour it on the rash for relief also.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/\ This.  Don't worry about getting IV fluids and learning how to start IVs.   Why? heavy stuff (fluids) that will eventually expire that won't get used, plus they have to be stored at certain temps IIRC. If you're in a situation where you would use IVF are probably better getting the patient the hell outta dodge ASAP. A single bag of IVF for dehydration or hemorrhage is simply delaying the inevitable.  Why putz with an IV when the rate of hemorrhage is 5x the rate of IV infusion; you're better off with direct pressure and a good radio.  CPR and a wilderness medicine or basic EMT course will show you how do deal with those issues.  Know where the nearest thing approximating a hospital is and how to get there and how long it will take to get there.  Plan accidents and how you would deal with them, and different ways to signal help.

MOST of us won't be camping, hiking, spelunking, etc in areas without some type of advanced medical facility within a few hundred miles so that proper first aid and calling for help are your best tactics.

Personally I have some advanced things in my hunting/hiking FAK. CPR equipment/airways/suturing kit/stapler/etc.  Will only use these if absolutely necessary.  Still waiting to get the trauma bandage/patch for GSWs.

I mentioned this on another thread but also know common injuries and first aid needs for companions such as kids, dogs, etc.

***FYI my most used items are 4x4 gauze pads, wound cleanser, and COBAN wrap.  Coban is magic––keeps everything in place and allows for fair wound compression.  Can be used in place of rope/duct tape in fashioning things like splints in a pinch.***

On another survival forum I was decisively REPRIMANDED for even suggesting the application of an IV for stabilization.  I was told that only under supervision of certain personnel (like a dr's order) can an EMT start an IV.  I have all the equipment, but I have been warned about the legalities AND the aftermath of an IV administration.  In a SHFT situation, I would not hesitate if I have items on hand.  I a situation where medical facilities are close at hand, I personally would use other First Aid measures.

Most important, take a class(es), then train.  I can look at ballistic chart all day long, and I can understand what my bullet might do.  Until I fire the rifle 500-1000 times, I really do not know what I am doing.

Just a little input from a newbie that got crushed on another forum.  Damn, they were mean.  All I was doing was asking was what essentials I needed in my primary med kit, and I happened to mention I had an IV set up.  Lord help me!

Have a great one!

Pope
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have three kits with me when I go out for a long camp. For the base camp, I have a Blackhawk Stomp II pack that is fully loaded without any drugs except OTC stuff for every occasion. My second is a grab and go Maxpedition Jumbo Versa pack with what I can fit in it and my third is a military IFAK that has gloves that fit me. I'm all for being prepared for everything. Where we hunt, the closest real hospital is an hour and a half away. There is a free standing ER 30 minutes away, but I've been there for minor stuff and am not impressed. I do have an exstensive pre-hospital medical background behind me though. I wouldn't let those other individuals deter you. Go with your gut and prepare for what you think you need to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Referring back to that post about sword fern being good for relief from stinging nettles--

It's also helpful for poison ivy and poison oak, and often grows near them, as well.

I've also heard that the actual stinging hairs from the nettle can be extracted instantly from the skin by gently wiping the affected area with a chamois, or with  the inside of a leather glove.

Nice to keep things like that in mind, just in case!
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

On another survival forum I was decisively REPRIMANDED for even suggesting the application of an IV for stabilization.  I was told that only under supervision of certain personnel (like a dr's order) can an EMT start an IV.  I have all the equipment, but I have been warned about the legalities AND the aftermath of an IV administration.  In a SHFT situation, I would not hesitate if I have items on hand.  I a situation where medical facilities are close at hand, I personally would use other First Aid measures.

Most important, take a class(es), then train.  I can look at ballistic chart all day long, and I can understand what my bullet might do.  Until I fire the rifle 500-1000 times, I really do not know what I am doing.

Just a little input from a newbie that got crushed on another forum.  Damn, they were mean.  All I was doing was asking was what essentials I needed in my primary med kit, and I happened to mention I had an IV set up.  Lord help me!

Have a great one!

Pope

They may have been douches about it, but the point, I'm sure, was that when you get the training, you don't have to ask those kinds of questions.  Your training answers those questions.  A lot of people think that the more training you have, the more you can carry and use.  It's the opposite.  The more training you have, the less you have to carry, because you know the WHY behind things, and you can do more with less.  For instance, you know not only the designed and intended use of an NPA, but several other neat things that can be done with them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Medical is an area that takes training and practice. Simply reading it isn't even close to the same as actually doing. As far as for hunting trips or backpacking, keep it basic.  Tourniquets, either commercially made or an improvised one that has been tested, will be the greatest lifesaver for major bleeding.  Triangular bandages or cravats are a great multipurpose item. They can be used as slings, tourniquets or bandages. Something occlusive like plastic wrap or aluminum foil works great to seal a chest wound. Duct tape beats any medical tape when things are bloody, muddy or sweaty.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
If I could figure out how to post images on here, I have a great reference guide. It's called "Combat Medic field reference". Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0763735639. That price is outrageous. Look around a bit and you can find it for about half that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't even use bandaids.  I bring in my pack a roll of 3M Micropore paper tape and a tube of Neosporin.  Works fine.

My hunting pack has a couple of surplus gunshot wound bandages.  Hunters should be able to deal w/ holes, as well as cause them.

Some of the best first aid is to have on decent trail shoes, that fit.  It's easier to prevent blisters, than limp with them.

Further, if you can manage to clean up each day, you'll have a much nicer experience.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#39]
One often overlooked OTC med which should be added to even the most modest FAK would be Benadryl (diphenhydramine).

As for I.V. administration, leave it to the experts.

As for a question, I wonder if it would be possible to get an Rx for an epi-pen "just in case". My guess is likely not which would suck if someone found out they needed one and help was far away. And they are outrageously expensive. The cash price for one is $550-750.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Here you go want the all around Natural must have item?

It's is used in most third world country as a way to disinfect! It can clean a cut from infection, you have zits it will clear that up, have razor rash helps with that, have any skin problems it will most likely help!

Have a kid with lice and don't want to use that harsh chemicals? How about one of the best bug sprays and also covers up your smell when hunting!

Now this does have a strong smell and not the good type it's bad! I told a family who was going to Africa to use this because of the hook flys told them there daughter might not be popular with the boys ( made Dad happy!) Yet she should be good from bugs. Came back she told me she mixed with her shampoo/ condition and body wash then used a mix of it with other Natural to make a bug away that she sprayed on herself and bedding.

She came back hook fly free and said that a lot of people had bug problems but not her! ( Dad gave me the thumbs up because it helped with horny teen boys also!)

You can use it in your Netty pot just use a little it burns like the Dickens but takes care of any nasal infection!

What is this? Simple it is Tea tree oil! Get some try it out Walmart even has it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Tea tree oil not what it can do but what it can't do!

This stuff is awesome and should keep it in the home all the time use. Skin care, bug juice, kills fungi, Great for disinfectant even works on warts.

Smells bad but helps a lot! I have personal used it for all above and more I told a young lady who was going to Africa to use it for the flies that lay there eggs in your skin she did and was the only person in her church group who did not have the flies.

Look up items made from the Earth and how to use them! Help you more then anything!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top