Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 11:49:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_Mills] [#1]
Speaking of easy meals at a camp site, lsat time we went out my wife pre-cooked the pasta and froze the tomoato sauce.  When dinner time came, we melted the sauce in a pan, added the pre-cooked pasta and served with Kraft Parmesan cheese.  Served with a half an iceberg lettuce ripped up as salad and Italian dressing this was like heaven to me.  

"May I recommend the HomeTime Pink Lemonade with your meal, sir."

It was a very fine week in the high Sierras.  We camped at 10,000 feet.  Fishing - we landed zero but we had fun doing it.  We hiked up stream in the creeks.  Honestly, this was the highlight of the trip - cool, refreshing, fun, beautiful,...  

P.S. - I own page three
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My main recommendation from many many backpacking/car camping thrips is this. Whatever you do, do not skimp on your tent.  There are alot of other things it is important to get right too but your tent is your shelter.  Actualy there are deals to be had but I see too many people run out and buy a tent t a place like K/wal mart or even places like Dick's Cabela's Gander and buy their brands.  Mostof the camping horror stories you are going to hear are tent/rain related and people generally get turned off by a bad rain experience in a bad tent.  I bought an EMS 2 man dome like 10 years ago on sale for like $100 and it has served me very well.  It has been in many torrential rains but due to a full length rainfly I have always stayed dry.  The other important part here is a tent footprint, this has already been mentioned but it deserves repeating this will keep the underside of your tent from getting wet.  Even tents with the best bathtub floors will have you swimming without a footprit.  I bought a heavy mil piece of plastic sheeting and cut it just a little shorter than my tent thi is very important as well because if you cut it wrong it will gather rain instead of diverting it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
i would reiterate a couple things I have seen posted previously. Mostly this is about car camping. backpack camping is a different animal.

1. It will rain.

Put a tarp up over your eating area so you have some place that is dry to eat and congregate. Mostly you only need one pole right in the middle. the edges can usually be tied up to trees. If there are no trees, you will need more poles. EMT conduit makes for pretty good poles.

Get a good tent and ground cloth. Some cheap tents are more waterproof than more expensive tents. A tent with a rain fly is almost always a better bet than one with out. If your tent does not have one, a tarp can make an effective rain fly.

2. It will be windy. Stake your tent down, even if it does not "need" it.

3. Sawing wood is a lot easier than chopping. Letting the fire burn the wood into smaller pieces is even easier.

4. Even mediocre food tastes better outdoors. Pie irons, wiener forks, and popcorn popping equipment is cheap fun.

5. An am/fm radio is nice so you can listen to the baseball game. Leave the TV at home.

6. Some kind of toilet facility inside your tent is real handy when you wake up in the middle of the night and it is raining and you have to go.

7. A bigger tent is usually better than a smaller one. The car is carrying the weight so don't worry about the weight.

8. Bring someone along who can play guitar. Its corny, but a night of singing around the campfire is something that can do wonders for your spirit.

9. Cots are usually a good idea for anyone over 30. :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
New guy with a fresh tip:

Cut a leg off a pair of pantyhose, and put a bar of soap in the hose. You can tie the hose to a water spigot and always have soap handy without worrying about where to put it - just grab the soap through the hose and wash away!
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I saw it mentioned once...a fire extinguisher or other means of putting out a fire.  It happens.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll chip in:

Nearly all of my camping gear is in a big cheap plastic tub.  It keeps everything together in an easy to move container.  And it's cheap.

What's in the tub:
Cookware: A cast iron skillit and dutch oven, and a camp stove, with propane.  A box with BBQ tools, a chef's knife and some wooden spoons. matches and a butane lighter a first aid kit, spare flashlights, camp pillows, aluminum foil, paper towels, toilet paper, plastic trash bacs, measuring spoons and cups, a teakettle, can opener, bug spray, sunscreen, a cheap "dinnerware set" with 4 plates, knives, spoons and forks.

And probably some other stuff that's not on my contents checklist that's printed out and taped to the top.

What's NOT in the tub:

Tents
Sleeping Bags / pads
Camp chairs
Food (basic spices are kept in the "box" though)
Extra clothes
Axe
Fishing stuff
Shooting Stuff

All of the above are variables, depending on the trip, and who's coming with us.  They are also not things your going to forget. (but I have them on list on the box under a "remember us" section.

In theory, all we have to do now is throw that stuff in the jeep, pack food and clothes, and we are off.  
And anyone with a family knows how much work just doing that can be, so having everything else ready to go is really, really nice.

IMHO, prep is 90% of having a fun camping trip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't feed the wild life. Tried to tell the ex this while camping in FL but she just had to feed the racoons. Bastards ate a hole through my tent. While we were out canoeing.

...guns and alcohol don't mix.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 2:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grand58742] [#8]
$0.09 (got my stimulus check)

Start out by car camping.  It's really the safe alternative to backpacking, especially when just starting out.  It might look cool to go out and rough it using your 30 year old Jansport pack you found in the attic, but most backpacking campers started out car camping or taking simple trips.  If backpacking is a must to start out, plan no more than one or two nights until you get the hang of it.  Don't try to do a week on the AT starting out unless you seriously know what you are getting into.

Additionally, don't start out by going way out in the boonies.  Pick an area that isn't too far and not too close to home either.  If you are out in the middle of the sticks somewhere and something happens (as it always does on a camping trip) you really don't want to be that far from civilization.  As you progress in your camping skills, go further out.

Five day coolers are not, especially in warm temperatures.  A handy tidbit of advice when packing in perishable foods.  Salmonella sucks.

Coolers are also not bear proof, even the locking ones.  A bear will either get in or throw it across your camp into your tent and look for something else to munch on in the process.

Coffee.  For some reason, it's just better in the outdoors.  Either an old style perculator or a fancy smancy French press.  Nothing like a good cup of joe in the morning to get you going.  And don't forget creamer and sugar if you are so inclined.

If you don't know a whole lot about camping, it can ruin the experience.  If you have friends that are campers, join one of their trips starting out and seek advice.  Find out what works and what doesn't.  Don't let ego get in the way of a good trip.  If someone is a sound camper and gives you advice, please heed.  However, on that first trip, try not to be too annoying and let you or your family ruin someone elses trip.  Case in point, went camping a few years ago with a newby camper on a fairly large trip.  After setting up the Barbie Doll tent and frying up a pack of bacon (one of six this person brought for four breakfasts) started to complain and didn't stop for the three days.  We thought about leaving her with the beavers at the fishing lake, but decided too many questions would be asked later.  My point?  A whiner and complainer can ruin a trip.  Keep the whine with the cheese and try to enjoy yourself.

I see more complicated foods in the mix.  But for starting out, sometimes simple foods work the best.  Hot dogs might not be the most tasty in the world, but the kids will love them and let's face it, they aren't hard to cook.  Simple foods starting out sometimes work the best.  And if you go more complicated, always have a back up ready to go quick.  Like someone else said, you can always bring home that canned soup and use it again.  But if your steak/chicken/elk or whatever gets cooked too much over the fire and you are without something that can be fixed quickly, you will get the hairy eyeball from your wife and kids.

Additionally, ultra lightweight camping foods or backpacker foods like Mountain House.  Expensive, lightweight and completely unnecessary for car camping unless it's what you want to eat or a back up to the ruined dinner.  You are in a car, canned soups, beenie weenies, Chef Boyardee, etc have a few things going for them.  Shelf stable, cheap, can take it home with you if you don't use it and easy to prepare.  Car camping is car camping because you don't want to worry about weight.  This is where heavy canned goods will work best.

Pogey bait is sometimes best for lunch.  Simple things like ham and cheese crackers, sandwiches, chips, etc.  Use breakfast and dinner for the big cooking times.  Dogs and whatnot also work well for these times also.  Simple foods for lunch work best.

Your last meal the night before you leave should be memorable.  It sets the tone for another trip.  I like doing a pot of stew on the last night, simmering over the fire or charcoal all day.  Six to eight hours later and it's ready to go.  Dump cake works well too.  Hundreds of recipes online for dump cake and dutch oven cooking.  Your family might remember it rained the entire time, but they will also remember that awesome beef stew you cooked on the last night.  

I think Protus said it.  It doesn't have to be expensive starting out.  The $300 tent you bought on sale at REI that leaks will ruin a trip.  However, the $40 tent you got at Wally World that doesn't leak makes all the difference in the world.  Don't spend major amounts of money starting out.  Once you get into it, then spend more money on "better" equipment.  But od read reviews and not those specifically of the items web site.  Neutral sites that are not sponsored or offer links into the company's gear site normally give the best reviews.

Coleman fuel stoves and lanterns are another way to ruin a trip.  No offense, but I've seen some new campers using them that, quite frankly, scared the living hell out of me.  Starting out, propane is the safe way to go for stoves and lanterns.  Easy to turn on and off.  Not much to it.  Liquid fuels under pressure can and will explode if you do not know what you are doing.

+10 Brazilion on the cots or sleeping mats.  Just remember, the larger Coleman type inflatable mattresses need some way to get then inflated.  Blowing up that full sized mattress using your mouth only will suck.  Batteries will die when the mattress is half inflated with your handy dandy electric pump.  Spare batteries are a much...for everything.

One thing I did not see on anyone's list was a hammock.  On a nice sunny day, lounging around in the hammock is the way to pass the time and relax.  Word of advice, do remember where you put it when walking around in the dark.  Not me, but ask my friend about it.  Dolphin in a fishing net might be best used to describe...

Just a little advice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]
DONT FORGET TO HAVE FUN!!!!  Having all the latest high tech gear that weights less then the feathers on a ducks ass is great if your hardcore. For new campers there is no reason for it unless your hiking ect. If your car camping dont be shy with the gear.

Bring chairs!!!

Buy food like your throwing a BBQ and then do it while camping.

As above someone said dont forget the wine , cheese , prosutto , olives ect and all the other good sht you can think of!

Ive found that when camping with non outdoors types its better to over gear the campsite and pick one near bathrooms on the camp ground. Then try to organize some outdoorsy activitys to ease them into it.  Killer food , good lighting at night ect goes a long way to get somone into the spirit!  

Also if your campground of choice has a lake , stream , river ect. DONT CAMP NEXT TO IT. Find some high ground with in a decent walking distance of it so you are close enough to hike or drive yet far enough away to not become a prime food source for the mosquitos. Your friends , wide , fiance will be glad to no become a misquito pin cusion lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Some very good posts.

Here's some of my .02

1.  Always pack a jacket
2.  If the temp can drop below freezing, turn canteens upside down (water freezes at the top)
3.  Fill a canteen/nalgen bottle with hot water, place in sock or watch cap and put in bottom of sleeping bag before you crawl in during extreme cold weather.  This will also give you unfrozen water to start your breakfest with.
4. Relieve yourself before crawling into the sleeping bag during freezing temps and keep a large mouth bottle for those late night needs.
5. Do a map check of the area before you venture out (understand your boundries) for the day
6. Learn some basic skills ie knot tying, fire starting, setting up tent and fly in backyard
7. Set up dining fly/tarp first before tent or any other chore in camp
8. If car camping cheap tarp poles can be 2"x2"x8' (split 2x4) with a nail at the end.

CD
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a family rule about picking camp grounds.
When  we are car camping.(not backpacking)
The females in the camping party, check out the rest rooms!!
Before we deside to camp there or not.
We have seen some really dirty bathrooms! In some nice look camp grounds.
If the women of the group will use the facilities,
most of the males will too.
Besides, most of guys can go behind any tree.
(women can as well, but most do not want to.)

How this makes your next camping trip a bit better!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Banana Boats

• whole bananna –– still in the peel –– split lengthwise

• stuff split with miniature marshmellows and chocolate morsels

• bake in a foil packet until a gooey mess.

• eat with a spoon

This recipe will kill diabetics and it's more sugar than any adult will eat.

Link Posted: 8/10/2009 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#13]
for being in the Grand Canyon, I learned two things, probably stated earlier, but always refill water, and two, always have electrolytes, ALWAYS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#14]

You are naked in the woods without a knife.  That is all.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
1.  The sun may be shining now, but if you are utterly unprepared to deal with water from the sky you'll get a gullywasher for sure, whether you're staying in WA state or the mojave desert.

2.  Same as #1 but pack a jacket for cold weather.  I got snowed on in the middle of summer (to me, at least) in Colorado.  It was 90 degrees the day before, less than 48 hours later there was an inch of snow on the ground.  My warm-weather ass was freakin' miserable.

3.  Car camping is the best way to start (said before).  When car camping, always bring more water and food than you think you need.  Cook and eat good food.  Coq-au-vin in an abandoned mineshaft in Death Valley while it's pouring rain (see #1) beats the crap out of granola.  If you're the drinking type, bring your favorite (but don't be stupid... the boonies is a dumb place to be AFU).  Bring a book or a fishing pole or something to pass the time (I prefer both).

4.  Be nice to your fellow campers.  Be especially nice to the rangers, they probably know the park better than you do and might offer you the advice that makes a neat trip into an epic one (the best place to set up camp, best fishing holes,  cool stuff off the beaten path, etc.).

5.  Prepare for the possibilitiy of running into snakes (the belly-crawling kind as well as the 2-legged kind).. doubly true the further you get from civilization.  Do you really want to be defenseless when you're 50 miles from the nearest other person?  This doesn't mean you need a squad of insta-gro ninjas with SAWs watching your 6 all night, or 3 firearms with 1000 rounds of ammo apiece, but a little something is a good idea.

6.  If you plan to forage (hunt, fish, trap, gather berries and roots, whatever), try and do so within the law and park rules.

7.  Test your gear the best you can before you're a million miles from nowhere.  Seal your tent seams.  Really.

8.  Pack out your fucking trash, or you deserve to be coyote food... seriously.

9.  Bring sunscreen, toilet paper, and bug repellent... always.  If you have to forget something, make it something other than these 3 things.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Some simple comfort items: There is a great book out there, called How to Shit in the Woods. Honestly. There's a lot more to defecation than I ever thought! It is very easy to read, and very funny in some parts. Written by a woman, it had lots of tips for women re. sanitation and privacy. It's good for men, too.

I pack an 'anti-monkeybutt' bag when I go into the woods. It consists of a Zip-Lock baggie holding a generous wad of TP (folded neatly), plus a couple of Tux wipes. These can be bought in a prepackaged, individual-use package. Having two makes it possible to clean your fingers when you are done. (I plan to use 2-3 of these per day; that way I'm not disappointed.) Believe me, it is NIIIICE to have a clean a-hole after 3-4 days in the wilderness!

One basic idea (gleaned from the above book): Most of us were taught to dig a cat trench and poop in it, then dispose of the TP in said trench.This has gone out of style; the TP is not NEARLY as biodegradable as originally thought,and it is getting in to streams, roads, etc. as the original poop station erodes. The turds biodegrade OK but it is necessary to pack out the used TP. This is the final use for the ZipLock baggie!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#17]
SOME HARD WON KNOWLEDGE:

1.) Change into next days dry underwear and socks right before you slide into your sleeping bag. This is real important for the kiddos. No matter how dry they feel, if you've been wearing them all day, their wet. Change them out, you'll sleep much more comfortable. Also put next days pants, socks etc. at the bottom of your bag to wrap around your feet, keeps them warm and they will be warm when you put them on the next morning.
2.) If hot weather camping, take 3 times as much ice as you think you will need. Blocks work best. I personally take a gallon of clear juice per day. Very refreshing and comforting. The sugar and lytes assimilate quickly. Nothing is more miserable than coming in after a long day and drinking hot water.
3.) I use ice chests for everything, more sturdy than totes. I keep all my dry camp goods in a separate ice chest, and of course extra ice, ice, ice. keep ice chests off the ground and in the shade.
4.) Sleep in a bag with a poncho liner inside. I wrap the poncho liner around my legs and feet for silky warmth, very comfortable.
5.) stay off the ground, its cold and will wick warmth away. use thermarest pads, air mattress, etc.
6.) if sleeping on a cot. prevent airflow under the cot. store totes, etc underneath or use a blanket to create dead air space under your cot.
7.) OLD GUYS: designate a "pee bottle" and keep it nearby when sleeping. prevents late night trips outside to tinkle.
8.) save your old messed up sleeping bags to use as cushions under your new bag.
9.) i dont like tents, when possible i sleep out on the ground. I put out a tarp and spray the perimeter with OFF or other bug spray. never had a problem with critters. re apply every night.
10.) wear a beany to keep your head warm. i never fit inside a bag all the way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
If car camping.

1. Pie/Sandwich iron from any camping store. The type on two long rods that fold the pie iron together.
2. Canned Apple Pie Filling or make your own if you know how.
3. Two pieces of bread

Coat pie iron with butter. Place 1 piece bread on pie iron. Add pie filling. (Don't put to much) Place 2nd piece of bread on top and close pie iron. Place on fire for a couple of minutes.

Eat. Go to sleep warm and happy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#19]
After being wet and cold on trip on too many camping trips, my main priority when camping now is to STAY DRY, and plan accordingly.

Bring two piece rain gear and a hat to keep rain out of your eyes.  Note that the hooded poncho style rain coats do not keep you fully dry, especially if you are trying to do any work in the rain.

Bring at least one pair of extra socks, two if you have the space.  There's nothing worse than having wet feet when camping.

Spend more than you think you should on socks.  I'll chalk up another vote for SmartWool here, they are the best, warmest socks I own.

Before you go to bed, always assume it will rain and pack your stuff up accordingly.  As a corollary, in cooler climates always assume that everything left outside will be soaked in dew by morning.  This goes for the tent as well.  Try not to have anything touching the tent walls because it will get wet.

Use tent sealer and make sure your tent has a good ground cloth or tarp and a rainfly.  Also, some sort of canopy or rain shelter near the fire is useful for preparing food and keeping dry firewood.

Make it a priority to secure dry tinder and firewood, you don't have to have a lot, just enough to get a fire started.  Then you can start feeding the wet stuff on there gradually.

Add about 15 degrees to a sleeping bag's rating to get the true comfort level.  I would advise if you are going to be camping anywhere that the rating might be a concern, get the warmest sleeping bag you can afford; it's always easier to cool off than to add warmth when the night temps drop more than you expected.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:46:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2400] [#20]
My days of backpacking and hiking are over so my advice is mostly for Jeep camping where weight or size aren't an issue. When my wife and I camp it's usually 10-25 days so your needs might be different.  It's always dark, raining and blowing wind when we get ready to set up so some of our stuff is ready to go(lanterns ready, tent, footprint, stakes and hammer).

Some of the things I've learned over the years are:

If you have a new (or new to you) tent, put it up at home twice. First time in the daylight, second time in the dark.

Make sure your camp lights (gas, propane or electric) work BEFORE you go camping. I put new mantles on my lanterns before I go and have 2 packs(4 mantles) duck taped to the bottom of each lantern. I also fill them before I leave, that way when we are setting up in the dark while it's raining all I have to do is pump them up and light them. Instant light

Make sure your stove works before leaving and that you have several full cans of fuel or propane. I have a spare generators for my Coleman stove and lantern just in case.

Practice making a fire at home on a nice day using matches, flint, blastmatch or whatever you plan on starting fires with.

Make sure your flashlights, electric lanterns, radio and what ever else you bring have new batteries and work. Don't forget to bring spare batteries in the sizes you need.

Get a good comfortable, waterproof tent. Remember a 2 man tent does NOT fit 2 people.

Make sure your sleeping bag will be warm enough for the climate your camping in. Get a sleeping pad or air mattress to sleep on, it's warmer and more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

I keep all the cooking stuff and canned food in an Action packer. It's got a cook set, coffee pot, 4 each plates, bowls, plastic glasses, insulated mugs for coffee, hot chocolate and cider. A Tupperware container for forks, spoons, knives, can openers, potato peeler and utensils and one for sharp knives. 2 plastic tubs for washing dishes or taking baths, soap (hand and dish washing) hand towels, wash rags, baby wipes, 2 big towels.

I keep all the spices, cooking oil, large utensils, fire starters, matches, coffee, sugar and flour in the bottom of the stove.

I bring charcoal, a Dutch oven or 2 depending on what we're doing and 2 cast iron skillets.

Our camping gear consists of several guns, an 8 man Cabala's Alaskan Guide tent (the ONLY waterproof tent I've ever owned), extra tent stakes and hammer, a queen double thick air mattress, double sleeping bag warm weather +30, separate -30 bags for cold weather, small broom and dust pan for the tent, PETT toilet, a propane stove and my old Coleman stove, the Actionpacker, 2 dual mantle Coleman lanterns and a neat florescent one with a remote (I leave it outside the tent, if someone or something is in camp I can turn it on and see without being seen), a radio, 3-9 6 gal jugs of water, 2-3 coolers (1 for keeping stuff frozen, block of ice and not opened unless needed, 1-2 for day to day stuff, milk, pop, eggs, cheese, ect) a pop up fly to cook or eat under in bad weather, a couple of comfortable camp chairs, hatchet, axe, rake, shovel, 2 folding tables, 550 cord, deck of cards, cribbage board, books.

We each have a bag with clothes, shaving kit, medicine, jacket, rain gear.

First aid kit!

If you camp with dogs like we do bring a water bowl, food and food bowls, tie outs if you need them, dog beds and leashes.

Camping is great, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Whenever I camp around other campers and campsites I put aluminum foil on all my guidelines for my gazebo's and tents for night time visibility.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#22]
As a scout leader here are the Tips we give to all new campers.

1.Put a plastic barrier under your tent such as plastic sheeting. The reason for this is moisture can come up thru the bottom of your tent    
  when you are sleeping, which gets your sleeping bag damp & the moisture will make you cold.
2.When you get your tent up put a pad under your sleeping bag. The reason for this is 2 fold, first it pads your body from the bumps & lumps
  under your  tent, and second a foam type pad will insulate you & your bag from the ground.
3.If you use an air mattress but a blanket or something else between your mattress & your bag. The air in the mattress gets cold, which means you get  
  cold.
4.If it gets really cold out, when you go to bed, get a chemical type hand warmer that is activated by exposure to air & shaking & throw it in your bag
  with you. This little packet puts out enough heat to keep you warm at night, but is not a burn or fire hazard.
5.A hint one of the staff members gave me was to put your cell phone, hearing aids, or any other battery operated device in your bag with you in cold
  weather. The reason behind this is the cold will draw some power from the batteries, keep the batteries warm & it won’t lose power.
6.Just before you go to bed, get warm by the fire, if you go to bed warm, you will be more comfortable.
7.When you go to bed, put you clothes for the next day in the bottom of your bag. When you wake up in the morning, your clothes will be warm.
8.When you get in your tent take off your socks you have been wearing all day. You lose a lot of body heat thru your feet; your socks have sweat on
  them, which keeps your feet damp & cold, making you cold.
9.Get out of wet clothes as soon as possible. If your clothes are wet you lose body heat & get cold, in extreme cases hypothermia becomes a real
  threat.
10.When you get in your bag, put a watch cap or a  “beanie” cap on your head. You lose a lot of heat thru your head.
11.Don’t touch the side of your tent, if you touch it your tent will leak getting you & your gear wet.
12.In the morning, open your tent up to let your gear & tent air out. This gets the moisture out of your tent, but keep the screen closed to keep the bugs
    & critters out.
13.When you get home, air out your sleeping bag & hang your tent up to dry out. If you pack it wet it will mildew & that will ruin your gear.

Now for dutch oven desert.  Get a 10 or 12 inch dutch oven, your favorite cake mix, a can of pie filling, a can of soda (sprite or 7UP for white cakes, coke or pepsi for dark ones), some tinfoil & charcoal.
line your dutch oven with the tinfoil for easy cleanup. pour pie filling into dutch oven, combine cake mix & soda (no eggs or oil) & pour on top of pie filling. put 10 briquets under & the same on top for a 10 inch oven & use 12 or 12 inch oven. cook for about an hour or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean of cakemix. eat & enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Very good info my friend thank you for your insight. I am a wannabe at this point but am very thankful for people that are in the know...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:25:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lionslayer] [#24]
Take a look at "How to Select, Improve, and Setup a Tent Campsite" at eHow.com, under my nom de plume, jkendrick, where you'll find some helpful advice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Best camp food ever
Tortillas-minimal storage requirements/light/used anytime.

-breakfasts burritos
-Quick PBJ wraps -really good on the river
-Foil pack tuna and "flavored" tortilla really good lunch
-Fajitas
-1 pack "mexican beans" and rice wrapped in a tortilla
-warmed tortillas with butter cinnamon sugar
- make really good edible "plates"

+1 on the Tortillas,  Fish Tacos are great!

By the way......on air mattresses.......NOT good in very cold weather.  They keep a layer of cold air under you all night long.  Even with a 0 degree rated bag, you'll be cold.  In cold weather you're much better off with an insulating pad like the Thermarest.

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By vitalis:
Ants do not like 7 dust...

-V

Yeah, they are a little too "pop" for me too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By zpo:

Originally Posted By Neutrino45:

URL for 7 dust please...

Walmart lawn and garden, or similar place.  And its Sevin Dust.

Without reading the rest of this thread to see if it has been adressed I don't think it is a good idea to go spreading pesticides around most public campsites.  If you do plan to do this you might want to check with the ranger or campsite attendant or whoever is responsible for the place you are staying.  I would have a hard time believing it would even be legal to just go dumping pesticides around your site wether it is back country backpacking or car camping in a state park.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:30:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#29]
Originally Posted By GunLogic:
My advise to myself here is to monitor what we use and what we wish we'd brought and repack the gear accordingly.

In general - Don't assume your cell phone will work if you need to call for help. Bring a whistle on every hike.

GL

Also, a handheld GPS will work wonders to get you back home! I have an old Garmin Etrex and its most useful feature (while hiking) is the one that creates a 'bread crumb trail.' If you need to get home you just follow the trail you've already laid down.

Make sure everyone knows how to use this feature. And make sure they understand that IT DOESN'T WORK IF IT ISN'T TURNED ON! Extra batteries are good, too.

Artemesia says to bring a glovers needle. I have found that one of the inner strands from some 550 cord (parachute cord) makes excellent heavy-duty repair thread!
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:58:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#30]
nvm already covered.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been needing to repair a pulled seam on a down bag for a while but could not figure how to get started.Finally thought to use a pair of hemostats to clamp the material together.Put a tack stitch on either side of the hemostat nose and then move further down the seam.Worked great
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By soldierswear:
When using your compass: I NEVER use it next to my gear, because of all the metal and magnetic stuff i may have in my backpack!

When i want to make a precise heading i leave my backpack and move at least 2 meters/6 ft aways from my gear and backpack, once i tried to take a heading with my gear and backpack on, and it showed ALLMOST 90 DEGREES WRONG

on this note (and i may be repeating a previous post, as i havnet read thru this thread yet but..)

depending on where you are, magnetic north can be WAY off.  find out where you are and make sure you set your adjustable compass declination (or varience or whatever) or just buy a good gps.

the basics, albeit lengthy

and a good US map of it:

map

or a neat calculator here:

neat calculator
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Coons and critters are smart. Bring ratcheting straps for your ice chests and don't leave food in your tent. They can figure out zippers and other contraptions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#34]
If your going to a state park check the states Park & Recreation website. Here in Oklahoma, the post updates if parts have been closed due to repairs-mother nature etc.  They also can give you a good idea on capacity IF people have made reservations.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't know about anyone else, but when I go camping I steer clear of state parks or any  where there is a lot of people. I go camping to get away from every one. I find it really quite simple. I bring a tent, and as some one else said wind can blow your tent away. But some times stakes aren't enough I've encountered wind that pulled stakes out of the ground, there fore I usually put my heavier stuff in each corner of the tent and park my truck with one tire on the corner of the tent. I bring a sleeping bag, a cooler (the expensive ones can keep things cold for four to five days and that was when I lived in arizona). Bring a shovel to dig a fire pit, put the fire out, dig your self out if you get stuck. A hatchet always comes in handy. A knife and magnesium flint block are great for starting a fire if your liter dies. When it comes to food I just bring burgers or what not, sometimes I go fishin for food, and cook with foil in the coals. Always bring a trash bag, I hate those f***ers that leave a mess.
Mainly I just like pack up some beer and firewood, a few good friends, crank up the radio and get the fire started. After that just sit back and enjoy nature. Oh and goin shootin is always fun too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:02:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: citifiguy] [#36]
Requirements and specifications, that’s what it is all about, and it is all up to you.

As soon as a person starts reading this thread, one finds there are radically different ways of doing things.   All of those ways of doing things, liked cooking for example, are absolutely crazy, nuts, and a total waste of time … IF they do not match your requirements.  

On the first page of the thread was an example of an elaborate cooking.   Everyone dreams of having someone in cake like that.    But, it has as much to do with cooking for person camping while on an ultralite backpacking trip of the Appalachian Trail as does a Moon shot is to a baby crapping in a diaper.   Both might involve diapers but that is about it.  

Most of the advice here, maybe not all of it, but most of it is inappropriate in some settings or applications of camping.    Most of it is also very valuable information in the applicable setting.

Accordingly, one has to start by wrapping their head around what they hope to do and accomplish.    Clearly, the concept of camping does not mean the same thing to everyone.    The clearer you are about what it is you want to do, the more likely you are to meet your goals.     Moreover, the less likely others are to be disappointed.       A good example would be a misunderstanding regarding “base camping”.      Someone could show up with a large external frame pack loaded up to hike in a mile or a few into the woods, and then expecting to day hike from there.    That would not match with other people expecting to base camp from RVs  on one extreme  nor those mountaineering expecting to do summit attempts from a central high altitude base camp.  

Read, research, gather all the info you can.    But, sooner or later, you have to start at the top and drill down.      That is how you do it.   That is how you build the right foundation.       Before you try to build a foundation, fully understand what is going to be setting on the at foundation.     All the wrong or inappropriate details in the world are not going to help you… much.   LOL!
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Backstop:
Originally Posted By Aim4MyHead:
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
Originally Posted By Backstop:
<snip>

I thought cooking something over fire was a requirement for camping?!

J

It is entirely possible that I hate to cook more than anyone you know.  

Love to eat, hate to cook; it is a problem.  

Not really.    Most people hate to cook when they are exhausted from hiking  all, carrying a pack, and having to deal bad weather, especially at high altitude.  

It is all about what a person intends to be doing.    Hanging out, with family, kids,  others doing the same is nothing like long distance ultralite backpacking.   I would not want to be eating a freeze dried dinner out of a bag while every one else is having some elaborate meal at a family reunion either.    

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
Did the OP ever specify whether he was car camping or backpacking?  These two bear almost no relationship to each other in terms of what you take.

RVing, Car/Truck camping with a tent at a campground, backwoods car camping with a tent, backpacking to a base camp, long distance backpacking while hunting or fishing, long distance backpacking a long trail like the AT,  Ultralite backpacking, or what?    

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ilbob:
i would reiterate a couple things I have seen posted previously. Mostly this is about car camping. backpack camping is a different animal.

9. Cots are usually a good idea for anyone over 30. :)

Cots have not been mentioned much.   But, they are far better than any pad.    (Yes, I know all about the various pads and either do own or have owned most of them.)   If you think your pad is something special and it is just to expensive to not use, put it on top of the cot.  (Yes, I do that sometimes.)    With even a cheap pad, cots can be very warm.  Cots will get you out of the coldest air that settles to the floor.  In the summer, they can be cooler by being more breathable without a pad and allowing the air to circulate around you.    If you have a floorless shelter, use any kind of cot you want.   However, in a tent with a floor, select a cot that has a "U" shaped set of legs or supports.    A fifty dollar cot and a $10 pad will beat a $100 pad on the ground.      Of course, if you are taller than most RVs are long or heavier than most RVs, you will have to spend more to find a cot that works for you.    
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Never forget the golden rule : Pay once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 11:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: citifiguy] [#41]
Do NOT worry about taking a safety pin for your sleeping bag zipper.  

Do NOT worry about having a sleeping rated to 15 degrees below the reasonable temperature.    

You do NOT have to the buy the warmest sleeping bag you can afford.  

DO BUY A REAL QUALITY SLEEPING BAG AND DON‘T BE CHEAP ABOUT IT.

The zipper on a good bag will  NOT be an issue.   It won’t need a safety pin.

A quality  45 degree bag that weighs about a pound or a little more will be better than a cheap, 3 to 4 pound 20 degree bag after just one or two years of regular use.      Spend $250 once on a lightweight bag or never be happy with a lifetime of cheap sub $100 bags that are big and bulky.

For most people, it is better to get two bags : about $250 to $300 for  a bag around 40 degrees and another at about $300 to $500 for a nice  20 degree to zero bag.     For most people, a single $700 plus,  40 degree below bag will be uncomfortable in most conditions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ModelCitizen] [#42]
Camping is great and there is some great stuff in this thread.

I'll reiterate, make a list of things you didn't have or wished you had so you can add them to your camping stuff before next trip.

Tote boxes are a great way to keep the camping stuff together, organized and ready to go at a moment's notice.  

Me, I have a tote box with my queen-sized inflatable mattress in it, along with a set of sheets, an electric air pump and an extension cord.  Another has "linens", usually a spare set of sheets, towels, washcloths, flip-flops for the showers (don't want to bring home someone else's funky foot), and other similar stuff.  Another is the "kitchen" with all the cooking utensils, spices, cookware and plates, silverware and cups, plastic "tablecloth" and so much more.  Also in there is also a small totebox with the nested cookware that doubles as a "kitchen sink" when it comes to dishwashing, although as some have mentioned, I try to use disposable plasticware as much as possible.  Also in there is all the soaps and stuff.  Finally, I have a "hardware" box with the fans, batteries, lanterns, propane stove, lots of matches (in ziploc bags), a couple of those Duraflame logs, rope, propane bottles, gallon-sized ziploc bags with charcoal (nested inside one of those charcoal chimneys to light 'em) and all the other miscellaneous stuff - including a "solar shower".  I can't go without a shower each day and if for some reason I'm not near modern facilities, I've always got the solar shower which is good for two if you're judicious with the water use.

By taking those tote boxes, the tent bag (with stakes, groundcover, etc. added), a "disposable" charcoal grill that I reuse, a five-gallon water cube, my cooler and a totebox of pre-chopped, aged firewood and I'm ready for a long weekend at the campground.  Takes all of five, maybe ten minutes to get all that together and loaded in the van and I've forgotten nothing.

You'll never remember everything you need your first few trips camping as an adult.  It's up to you to write down what you needed and keep it organized and life will be so much simpler.

Watch your neighbors.  Especially if they look like they really know what they are doing, ask them to show you some tips and tricks or simply watch them carefully.  An ex- and I once camped next to a Boy Scout troop leader camping with his wife sans kids.  They showed us a lot of neat stuff.

Oh yeah, you don't need a frickin' bonfire with flames three to six feet high for a campfire.  Little pieces of what most would consider kindling wood not much bigger than your thumb will get you a small fire which is all you need.  Plus, if you burn properly, it doesn't smoke very much at all.

ETA:  I also carry a few Mountain House meals and instant oatmeal either as a backup if my cooking goes south for some reason, or to share with a neighbor who had something go terribly wrong in their camp planning or execution.  Helping out a neighbor having problems can really pay dividends towards making your weekend a good time.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thomas572] [#43]
Any one try these??

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php
Looks to be good idea instead of on ground tent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I am a proponent of bringing an EZ Up or similar shade device. Mine has plastic spreaders for the top, so when the wind blows, the top collapses instead of bending, sort of like a tent with shock corded legs.

There's a right way and a wrong way to install the stakes, though! The wrong way will allow your tent to fly away, because the wind will move the legs in an up-and-down direction, eventually forcing them out of the ground; then your EZ Up will fly away to some God-awful place like Pacoima, where it'll never be seen again.

The right way is to install the stakes at enough of an angle that the legs will pull against the side of the stake, and not try to pull the stake out of the ground.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By popknot:
SOME HARD WON KNOWLEDGE:

5.) stay off the ground, its cold and will wick warmth away. use thermarest pads, air mattress  , etc.

VERY good idea! And there's a cheap, rechargable filler for them, too, so you don't have to inflate them with your breath.

6.) if sleeping on a cot. prevent airflow under the cot. store totes, etc underneath or use a blanket to create dead air space under your cot.

7.) OLD GUYS: designate a "pee bottle" and keep it nearby when sleeping. prevents late night trips outside to tinkle.
This is one of the fine ideas suggested in the very good book, "How to Shit in the Woods."

Another good idea is to wear a towen over your head, leaving enough space open over your mouth to breathe.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Using duct tape to seal a box:

I've found that if I seal a box with duct tape and remove the tape, the cardboard comes up with the tape, making it hard to re-seal.

If I put a second piece of duct tape on the lower part of the box, where the first piece contacts the box, it makes it possible to re-seal the box many times; the duct tape is intended to stick to itself without getting dirty.

Also, leave a half inch or so of tape folded back on itself to make it easier to grab and open the box.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tack87:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I go camping I steer clear of state parks or any  where there is a lot of people. I go camping to get away from every one. I find it really quite simple. I bring a tent, and as some one else said wind can blow your tent away. But some times stakes aren't enough I've encountered wind that pulled stakes out of the ground, there fore I usually put my heavier stuff in each corner of the tent and park my truck with one tire on the corner of the tent. I bring a sleeping bag, a cooler (the expensive ones can keep things cold for four to five days and that was when I lived in arizona). Bring a shovel to dig a fire pit, put the fire out, dig your self out if you get stuck. A hatchet always comes in handy. A knife and magnesium flint block are great for starting a fire if your liter dies. When it comes to food I just bring burgers or what not, sometimes I go fishin for food, and cook with foil in the coals. Always bring a trash bag, I hate those f***ers that leave a mess.
Mainly I just like pack up some beer and firewood, a few good friends, crank up the radio and get the fire started. After that just sit back and enjoy nature. Oh and goin shootin is always fun too.

One good idea is to toggle your tent stakes! Use two stakes; this more than doubles the strength of a single stake!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

Originally Posted By popknot:

SOME HARD WON KNOWLEDGE:

5.) stay off the ground, its cold and will wick warmth away. use thermarest pads, air mattress  , etc.

VERY good idea! And there's a cheap, rechargable filler for them, too, so you don't have to inflate them with your breath.

This is one of the fine ideas suggested in the very good book, "How to Shit in the Woods."

Another good idea is to wear a towen over your head, leaving enough space open over your mouth to breathe.

If you keep a pee bottle in your tent be prepared for late night visitors up to and including bears following the scent of your urine.  You should really not leave anything in your tent that could be mistaken for food and be an invitation foir animals.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Originally Posted By tack87:

One good idea is to toggle your tent stakes! Use two stakes; this more than doubles the strength of a single stake!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/franksymptoms/Survival/tentstaketoggles.jpg

If you're having issues with tent stakes pulling out..are you using the round needle style? The Y or V profile stakes( although usually shorter)hold so much better in soil due to their profile.  Also the soil you plant your tent on dictates the type of stake you should be using. There's no such thing as a universal tent stake. Some are made for rocky hard soil ( the needle) some are for loose ( Y / V style) , then you have snow and and anchors which are different all together.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Definitely set up the tent first so you don't get there are realize you are missing pieces

Air mattresses make a huge difference

And oh ya - a nice cooler full of frosty beverages and a big 'ol steak!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top